Register now to get rid of these ads!

How far will you go for parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowriders Art Gallery, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I travelled By ship from Norfolk VA to Malta.....Bought a 1961 Mini Cooper while we were in port....took it apart at the dock and used a battery powered sawsall to cut the tub in half....stashed all the parts in a pallet container in the mezannine of the air detachment.

Once I got it home I quickly realized that getting a title was going to be a problem seeing as it wasnt really imported per say....

I doubled my money parting it out....worth the $400 american it cost to get the story though....specially scince I hadda dodge all the officers bringing the car on board the ship....

Fun times.

2. rld14

rld14

The Vauxhalls have had me doing some serious distances...

Flew from Orlando to Fargo, ND to get a parts car 60 Velox, grabbed a U Haul and hauled it back.

Drove from Orlando to Sarnia, Ontario for Vauxhall #2, drove it back then went back up that way again to haul a parts car back.

Flew from Orlando to London, then drove up to Billing Aquadrome in Northampton England to go to a Vauxhall show, came back loaded w parts.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just after I retired I put a bid on Egay for a restlored 1940 Ford big truck frame and rough cab in Oklahoma City. The bid was way low in my opinion but I ended up the high bid. So I borrowed a trailer and a buddy and I drove straight though from SoCal. Snow in New Mexico and killer rain in OK. Left at O dark thiry on Sunday morning, picked up the truck on Monday morning and got back in town by 9:30 Tuesday morning. Figure it was about 3200 miles round trip.

4. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

You wouldn't have been an Electronics Technician aboard USS America?

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Nope, I was small boy Airedale on the Monterey....I did forget to mention that we used it as our transportation round town for a few days as well....fun car to drive on narrow streets

6. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

OK...had one of my guys do the same thing during a Med cruise in 71.

7. Smokey2

Smokey2

Well............Had;nt Really thought about IT that much ! But, now that you've asked,
    275 mi. fer to pickup '80's IFS )Jag(.....$200 in fuel round trip, then to Durham, N.C., fer the Car (bought off E-Bay, nutter $200 fuel. Then to Romney, W. Va. Drop Car, Parts (@ TrioxinKustoms, Att Chad ). Now I'm 380 miles frum Knoxville !!! Sister lives in Mass./ Vt., Might as well go there and pickup 1953 Caddy (4 Speed), got Thur a fellow Hamber........, and Visit She and her Good Husband, while there, found most of Model 'A' Engine (yea !, loaded that also.) Now I'm 890 miles from Bristol, Tn. Where I had borrowed tha' Trailer !..........Got ther at 2 a.m., Alt gone ? No......Battery died ! And I've
    $ 9.00 in Me Jeans !!!!!!!!! 7 a.m., charge battery.......borrow $50.00 from my good Friend......an, back to knoxville ! Whew !
    Took $ 127.00 out of Bank, and caught ride to AutoZone......Battery ?, You guessed it..........$ 127.00 (they X-Ray You, when You come thur tha' front DOOR !
    Averaged 16 mpg full trip on the Aviator, pulling trailer and in mts of West
    (bg) Virginia.......9 % grades !!! Tha Dog, and Ms. Turkey (stand-up, Cutout, from Buger King ), all had great trip., Fun Ai'nt IT ? U gotta' Love IT !
    Miles Total. Hell, I do'nt Know, and really do not Care. Got the '53 back, and Chad has the '54 Heart-Top, and I'm a'tearing down tha' '60 Caddy engine fer IT.
    _______________________________________Still stay'n Smoked Up (TN.)

8. I drove from Tampa to Columbus for a '42 Ford hood in 2003... I don't know if I'd do it again with gas at $4.00/gal.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Yep, Me too!!:)
    Cheers...

10. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Hell and High Water:D Tromped around with diamond backs and copperheads in August whats:D a few miles

11. tjmercury

tjmercury

I have a lot of orphan cars, so......as far as I have to.

12. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Latest road trip/haul... 800 miles to get a model A coupe body because "they" said it wouldn't fit in my short box ranger pickup. The weak minded need to collect stamps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Back in '07, I called a friend in Crockett, Texas about my T. The conversation drifted to the body I had yet to find. So, he says he has one and he'd let me have it for half of what they normally go for. $600. I didn't have the $600, but he was willing to make payments. Done deal! BUT, the stipulation was that I had to come get it that night.

I had never been to Crockett and Google mapped it. Okay, maybe a 2 hour drive. Just before I get off work, to head out, the weather report on the radio says a crazy bad storm is headed to the area. I call to arrange another day, but the offer stays as it is. I have to go... NOW.

As it happened, it was the worst storm to hit the Houston area in a long time. The rain is blowing side ways, I'm driving a van, I'm not sure where I'm going and it's getting dark. It took me an hour to just get to the out skirts of Houston. As I'm creeping along, I see a car slide sideways in my rear view mirror and cause an accident!:eek: 10 seconds earlier and it would have hit me.

In the end, it took me 4 hours to make a 2hour drive. I get to his shop, take a quick tour and head back to Houston. After I unload, I sit and make hot rod noises for an hour.:D

The streets were flooded on my way home and a 20 minute trip took an hour going down side streets that weren't under water. But I had my T body and slept like a baby.

By any means necessary.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  14. phat rat

phat rat

The trip for this load was 5500 mi

Attached Files:

15. For my current project.Torrington, Connecticut for the cab, Huntsville, Alabama for the transmission, Colorado City, Colorado, for axles, White Plains, Kentucky for engine and frame. I guess that's about it so far! Got some $ tied up in travel expenses on this one!

16. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I drove from wi to oregon to pickup a 1939 chevy truck cab and other assorted parts.Then i took the the long way home through Kansas city to pickup more 1939-40chevy truck parts.I think i spent more on gas than i did on all the parts in the truck and trailer but the woman and i had never been to oregon and wanted to see it.