Register now to get rid of these ads!

what tap and die set do i need

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by perrytudor32, Jul 9, 2013.

1. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

hi all,i live over in the uk,im try ing to find a tap and die set to clean the interior trim holes on a 32 tudor sedan,they arent any thing british,can anyone tell me what they are and point me in the direction to getting a set,thanks in advance.

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

SAE coarse and fine thread, you may have to order them online.
    Cheers, KK

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Kool Kat has put you on the right track.........if you are playing with old American steel you will need them in inch sizes, not metric.

We have a Kolbalt set that we bought at Lowes here and it has been surprisingly good. The taps are good quality, and they give you the appropriate sized drill bit with every one.

NC will be National Course threads, and NF is National Fine threads. We also have Gear Wrench racheting handle set that is a pleasure to use and allows pretty straight tapping.

Don

Here is just one place that has them. I'm sure there are very high quality industrial ones available, but these seem to get the job done without breaking the bank.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/kobalt-46-piece-sae-tap-die/1057

There is a chance your English handle will not fit the SAE ones from the States, so here is the handle set we have and we have used this one to death with no problems.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SSNGDW...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000SSNGDW

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  4. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I bought the "professional quality" harbor freight tap and die set a few years ago...have used them many times, haven't broken any, and they seem to work well...

Chris

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Had that set. Had. Got a Vermont American set. It rocks.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

And be sure the set has size #12. You will find 12-24 in the car too. It is an unusual size anywhere.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a lot of Vermont American taps as that is what the local hardware store sells but they do work good and seem to last well.

I'd see what your local tool suppliers have available in a good basic National Fine/National course aka SAE/USS tap and dies set that went up to 1/2 inch. Most of the time you don't need larger than that. You might check the used tool outlets too.

Money wise you can spend as little as 20.00 US up to several hundred dollars US depending on brand and the number of pieces but a basic set with maybe the addition of a few special sizes should get one by on most old US cars.

8. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

A little advice to anyone looking at tap and die sets: always make sure you are buying only tools made of high speed steel. They should either say they are made of high speed steel, or you should find they say "HSS" somewhere on the tool. Cheaper sets are made of carbon steel and are not even worth buying no matter how cheap.

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have a Ace Hanson Super set that my Dad gave me for my 21st birthday that was 47 years ago still works and in the original box. It is fractional of course and I have lots of supplemental taps and dies acquired over the years. Good tools will outlast you. Mine has round dies suggest you get hex ones so they will not twist in the holder.

10. racemad55

racemad55

Most everything in my r.p.u. is 12-24.

11. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

There's nothing that sucks more than breaking a cheap tap 10 threads into a hole. Get a good quality set..... and learn how to use it!

12. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

I have read that when cleaning up existing threaded holes to use a thread chaser and not a tap or die. Tap and dies are for cutting new threads and they can cut more metal and make for a loose fit when the bolt is screwed in. Oh yea I am guilty of using tapered starter taps and bottom taps to clean up an existing thread. I have looked at thread chaser sets made by Craftsman and plan on purchasing one. Maybe some of the machinest out there can chime in on this.

13. kennb

kennb

Tap and dies are one of those things that you can't scrimp on. I'm not a machinist by trade but do have a home machine shop and do jobs for customers and my own stuff. I was told years ago by my grandfather, a quartermaster machinist all his life in the Navy to only buy American made taps and dies. It is all worth it in the end. I use starrett. Bought them about 30 years ago. Will last forever. Stay away from the Taiwan junk.. Ken

14. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

thanks guys for all your advise and tips,will see if i can get anything in the uk first,second stop usa as usual,you seem to have it all,thanks again phil.

15. BINGO - unusual size these days, but back then Henry loved that thread!

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Aren't interior trim pieces simply held by sheet metal screws?

17. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

most are screws,pretty much everything cowl area is bolts

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

+ 1
    on the 12-24 thread, that thread is not too popular today but used a lot in old Fords. Actually it is superior to 1/4-20.

Also as others have said, quality taps make a difference.

Ago

19. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

is the 12-24 a thread or is it 12 to 24 as in differant sizes

20. pitman

pitman

#12 diameter (larger by one typ. step from #10) and 24 threads per inch.

21. BaBa

BaBa

Just about anything will work fine for cleaning up existing threads but if you can find industrial quality tools they will be much better. Look for brands such as Butterfield, Chicago Latrobe or OSG. They are available from MSC or your local machine shop supply house.

22. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

RIGHT you are..Ive got Model A's & a '34. I use the heck out of it.