Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar Alternator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, Jul 9, 2013.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I have had so many challenges with this alternator setup it is insane. I've had this Powermaster alt rebuilt 3 times so far, each time it was something overlooked and ended up being a bad (internal regulator).

I ditched the internal regulator, had the Alt fully rebuilt, added an (external) regulator, and she ran fine for many, many miles. I recently got home from a trip to Los Angeles (300 miles round trip) and went to start my car- weak battery. When checking voltage while running, I was putting out 12.3-4 volts at main lug of Alt and the same at battery. I looked at my regulator and noticed that one of the two wire connections had come loose. Problem solved? No.

I plugged everything back in like it was, and was still only getting 12.3v out of the Alt.

I replaced my regulator with a new one, same voltage. I thought it must be my alternator, so I got a new one, same voltage.

I checked my grounds and all seem fine. Im stumped, anyone??? :confused:

Heres the way mine is setup. 1986 Dodge 360

Attached Files:

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

3. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Mine is wired EXACTLY like the diagram you mention. I just included the entire ignition setup as well. I'm in the garage now, going over it all and it is setup correctly. ... I have to be missing something?

4. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

When mopar changed from a mechanical voltage regulator to transistorized in the early 70s, we had a lot of trouble. The stators look alike and will fit in both alternators but the resistance is different. We had alot of comebacks untill we figured what went wrong. Try an other parts outlet and replace it.

5. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

It's all I can do, right?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Where are you getting the rebuilts? If they are from the local parts store it is not surprising you got 3 bad ones in a row. If they are rebuilt by a local rebuilder or auto electric shop you need to find a better shop. I stopped having problems with alternators when I found a good local shop to rebuild them. They are 5 times better and half the cost of parts store rebuilds.

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Im getting them from a good rebuilder, one of the best in town. I dropped off the unit today, and it was another fried diode. I think the diode fried from one of the regulator wires shaking loose. My (guess) is that the alt was underpowered long enough to damage the diode.

Makes sense, but the parts store unit I bought doesnt really... Or maybe it does. I returned it anyway.

8. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thank you for some actual tech. I'll keep you posted.

9. daliant

daliant

Make sure the regulator is grounded good, it wont work without a good ground.

10. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

One of the wires going to my voltage regulator had come loose on my last trip, making the voltage unregulated, thereby popping a diode.

I took it in, had it rebuilt, installed and everything works great- again. The one I bought from the parts store was fuxored up out of the box, compounding my confusion.

Diode, rectifier replaced. Everything is as new.

11. 73RR

73RR

That is very good news!