Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting to T5 with no adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lt1tyrell, Jul 8, 2013.

1. lt1tyrell

lt1tyrell
    from Canada

What is the best way to put an s10 T5 in my 66 c10 with a 250-6? I know there is alot of threads on this but who has done it without the machined adapter? I tried ordering one from Hamilton Intakes, no luck and after 3 emails...no response. So who has done there own and did it work out well? Thanks.

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

I don't know for a fact but I do know that the adapter for a flathead is to accomodate the Chevy bolt pattern. I imagine a little measuring and maybe a new clutch disk and it should bolt up. I would start there but if someone else has first hand knowledge I hope they speak up.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You probably will have to cut about 3/8"-1/2" off the input shaft.. You will also have to cut some off the bearing retainer to match the old trans.. Then extend the splines on the input shaft( can use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel to extend the splines).. And lastly use a GM Astro van clutch disc for a 14 spline(S 10) input shaft.. By doing all this you don't need the adapter and saves a bunch of money.. I did this on my coupe and I used a 66 C10 250CI bell housing, flywheel, and pressure plate behind a SBC.. Hope this helps...

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I have a thread with pics.. Search a thread titled "T5(S10) transmission install in a 1929 coupe"...

5. lt1tyrell

lt1tyrell
    from Canada

Ok this helps a lot, I will use the astro disc, 250CI pressure plate and flywheel. Which throwout bearing do I need? Thank you!

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The throwout bearing you already have will work...

7. El Gordo

El Gordo

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'd just spring for the adapter and not fight with it http://hamiltonintakes.com/products/s10-t-5-swap-adapter And there may be some that are somewhat less expensive floating around.

I was pondering putting one in my 48 with the 3.73 rear end I have and that may make it simpler.

I found Scrap Metal 48's thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771118 That is doable by someone with talented hands but I don't think my gnarled up old grabbers can work a die grinder with that precision anymore.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  9. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Don't pay for the adaptor, just cut off either the pilot shaft or bearing collar until it all fits and shifts. I just did it last week and it was super simple! Awesome upgrade to my 58 pickup

10. lt1tyrell

lt1tyrell
    from Canada

Ya I tried to order the adapter (actually 2 because my brother needed one) with no response so now I am going to either modify the s10 unit myself or use an s10 tail shaft along with a WC camaro/firebird unit if I can find 2 transmissions for the right price.

11. El Gordo

El Gordo

12. yruhot

yruhot

Put one in my 57 chevy pickup that had a 350 eng and 3 on the tree. Went to the Old stove bolt web site and everything is covered. No adapter needed but some parts need to be sourced out as covered her like the clutch disc. Could only find the disc at Orielys. everyone wanted to sell it to me as part of a package with the pressure plate. Love it works great. Just don't get too crazy with the power shifts. Great swap. YRUHOT..............Doug

13. Deadbird

Deadbird

I did just what scrap metal 48 described on my 63 C10 with a 230 six. It worked out fine for me. Drove it that way for about 3 years with no problems. The old sixer got pretty tired, so I'm slapping a 350 in it with a Camaro T5 this time.

14. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Buy a 3rd Gen Camaro / TA V8 T5 and swap tailshaft/ shifter to S10.
    The Camaro T5 should be a bolt-in without adaptors.

You should be able to pick up the Camaro T5 for less than an adaptor costs and you can put the Camaro tailshaft/ shifter back on to the S10 T5 and sell it as a V6 Camaro box