Register now to get rid of these ads!

Antique welders?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by bauschracing, May 23, 2011.

1. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Any idea what year Craftsman this is?

needs a new power cord before i can try it.

Attached Files:

• wldr.jpg
      wldr.jpg
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
  2. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I got a old dan mig about 76 or 75 built hundreds of cars been dropped out of a pick up smashed into a wall at my buddys shop never failed me in at least 35 yrs use hell I got more mileage out of it than my first wife .....welder died this year replaced with a miller 200 old one what a war horse got the spool gun too miss the dano she was great on sheet metal its in the way but I just can not get rid of it, sentametal value, lot of great memorys on it

3. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I just acquired this old Lincoln Idealarc, When I removed the sheet metal I was suprised that the inside looked like brand new, anyway I have repainted and reassembled it. I'm very disappointed that I can't use this machine and I have to sell it

Attached Files:

4. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

My old Airco 300amp Heli-Arc
    [​IMG]

5. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

Gotta agree with the others-I've got a 1971 vintage Miller 330 A/BP and a 1973 Miller 35.
    They work just as good as when they were new!

6. oj

oj

Thats' a miller 330A-BP! Just a different color, pull the side panels off and the transformers will have a 'gold star' on them i bet. Best machine ever made, don't even think about 'upgrading' to a digital machine, that one is a keeper!

7. I have an old P&H TIG machine that came over on the Santa Maria.

If someone needs a machine to use, come by and pick it up. Bring a real truck.

John

8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Why can't you use it ?
    I have one just like it. was my Pops.

9. Bluestar

Bluestar

I am wondering if anyone has information on a 1947 Hobart Simplified Arc Welder

10. My 20 year old daughter has/uses a Lincoln dial arc welder made from the late 40s to mid 50s. Even has a 6 volt battery charger. I'll post pics tomorrow (its dark outside).

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I use an old 70's Lincoln SP-200 pretty regularly, I love the thing.

Also bought one of these at an auction... Had to have it :rolleyes:

Early 1950's "Magic Wand" suitcase welder... According to the sheet it does everything, and only cost $34.50 brand new haha

Attached Files:

12. cracker head

cracker head

I got this one, factory 1948 Willys.

Attached Files:

1953naegle likes this.
  13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i dig the old welder thread , keep the pictures coming ,

14. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

My Dad was a welder, so I grew up around welding machines. I still use a late 1960's Shorthood Lincoln 200 with a flathead Continental red seal engine. The oldest one we ever had was a 1942 US Navy Lincoln 200. That was yellow instead of the usual Lincoln gray. It through a rod and we hauled in for the copper winding scrap a few years ago.

15. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

found this old antique welder thread thought i might
    find out what year or era i have but no luck so far

my old antique Montgomery Wards AC Arc welder
    has wood sides cast wheel and it's very heavy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    broken plug has 4 prongs sitting on top of the junction box
    [​IMG]

16. Uncle Don is a antique welder.:D HRP

[​IMG]

17. Larry T

Larry T

Every farmer in Texas has an old Lincoln "crackerbox" in the barn. My dad finally used his first one up in the 60's and bought a new one. I still have it in the shop. It hasn't been cranked up in 30 years, but I'll bet it still works like it did the last time it struck an arc.

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the old welder thread is awesome I dig historical machiney that monkey ward welder is ancient , have never seen one before

19. A friend has an Old Lincoln Tombstone probably from the early 60's and he has a converter on it to run a TIG. While it welds OK, you can just watch the electric meter spin when it's on! Seems to draw about twice as much power as his new Miller

20. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

I found an old welder with a Continental inline six flathead on it at a scrap place I visited. The bought it for the copper and I said, "Ill buy that off you and sell the generator head back because that has all the copper." They agreed to that deal and I got the engine. I had a friend with a Kaiser that needed that exact engine, or pretty close, and I gave him it because he did a favor for me. It turned out to be almost new inside, it melted a coil when new and it was put in a garage and sat. Still pulling the Kaiser around.

21. got a old lincoln "TORPEDO" 3 PHAse and its dc welding on my current project
    got a torpedo powered by a 4 cyl wisc too, but ethanol killed the engine

22. Kramer

Kramer

23. 1941 lincoln 180 still in use.

24. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

25. NORSON

NORSON

I had one that looked like the same vintage, but mine had a hi-freq. unit for tig. It would say early '60s. Norm

26. Depotdad

Depotdad
    from NC

Hi all,

I've got an old welder i'd really like some of you guys to share any info you may have on! It's a Greyhound AC Welder. It ran like a champ last time it was used. Sadly that was almost a decade ago, its been in a decent storage area but the leads, which plug in have cracked and frayed. My hope is to make this machine come alive again. I am putting a link to the pictures I have taken, I will take more if needed.

Click here for Pictures

Thank you, and any advice on old plug in leads would rock!

Brian, AKA DepotDad

27. willymakeit

willymakeit

I have a Miller mounted on a trailer I bought from my brother last year.
    Had the commutator stoned, changed the safety over ride and put new cables on it.
    The Onan motor is giving me fits. Have replaced the coil,points, wires ect. Still pops and cracks out of one cylinder and push's oil out same. Wels good and is a 5500 watt generator to boot.

28. hapner1969

hapner1969
    from tennessee

i bought one at an auction haven't had time to reallly look at it yet, what size breaker will I need to run it?

29. thibodeaux222

thibodeaux222

Hello, I have a question and I was helping y'all could help me out with some information. A good friend and neighbor of mine passed away a few months ago and left me all the stuff in his garage. In it were several very old machines most of which I have no idea what they are but they all work still I was told. One is an old welder, if anybody has any idea what it was used for, or even how much it is worth or anything I would really appreciate it, I am attaching pictures. Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
    0902131524a.jpg

0923131718a.jpg

30. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

It's interesting to see this old thread. But keep an eye on these old machines. Last month, while welding with mine, (see post #22) it shot sparks out of the bottom, smoke out the top and on fire inside! I set an Olympic record dragging it out of the barn! Big copper coil inside melted. Now I'm looking for a new one.