Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering wheel restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sleddin51, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Sleddin51

Sleddin51
    from San Diego

Anybody know if you can put a steering wheel in a blasting cabinet to remove the original paint? If it is low pressure would it work without damaging the wheel? I think the wheel is urethane?

2. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

Soda Blasting is the trick for a steering wheel.

3. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

I would try a small test spot on the back of the steering wheel first just to be on the safe side

4. Sure you can but it's gonna be rough and pitted when you take it out. HRP

5. switchkid0

switchkid0

Several threads on steering wheels here on the HAMB. I think most guys just sand them down, but someone recommended blasting the inner steel for rust. I think it also gives the plastic a little bit of "tooth" so the epoxy has more to hold onto.
    I'm in the middle of re-doing a '40 ford wheel. Thought I had all of my cracks fixed, but once I got it primed and set it outside, a couple more cracks appeared.

6. AndersonAutoGlass

AndersonAutoGlass

I glass bead blasted the wheel for my '66 C10 and it worked great- no rough pitting and it gave the primer a good clean surface to stick to. I've also had a '65 C10 wheel soda blasted and I couldn't tell much difference, soda vs glass beads.

7. A while back I did a thread about repairing the steering wheel for the wagon,,I just did a lot of hand sanding. HRP

8. Sleddin51

Sleddin51
    from San Diego

I'm trying to avoid hand sanding if possible. Time consuming. I'll try a small spot on a spare wheel first before trying my good wheel.