Register now to get rid of these ads!

History scalloped paint jobs rule of thumb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damagedduck, Jul 7, 2013.

1. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I have read a bunch of custom car/truck threads about this-N-that... so what are the rules of scalloped paint jobs, I've seen rounded ones & squared off ones, I figured the rounded one go on rounded bodies & square go squared shaped bodies,and when did they come into play?
    I've seen then on everything from A-Z, I want to put them on my 53 F100 & was wondering what is the 'right' way of laying them out.......
    such as this one..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189013&highlight=scalloped+paint+jobs

I've read just about everything from Gene Winfield to Larry Watson and just about every other painter,

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Square ones remind me of 90's street rod graphics, barf.

3. Leviman

Leviman

Whatever the hell looks the best, do that. It's just a paint job who needs rules?

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

6. jmpowie

jmpowie

The only rule is, try to get both sides to look the same. I tried to paint a simple 3 scallope on the side. After laying tape about 100 times I ended with a cactus.

Attached Files:

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There is no hard and fast 'rule'...the only thing you need to adhere to is do the scallops make the car, and its' body lines, look better...choice of color is also an option...

Personally, I prefer the rounded corner scallops, just seem to 'flow' better than sharp corners, especially on a sort-of 'round' body like a '53 F-100...

R-

8. indyjps

indyjps

My scallop rules, they rarely make anything look better than solid color. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but there it is. The exception being curvy customs where the scallops follow the lines of the car,even then the color needs to complimentary to the base and preferably a pearl. Example a medium dark green base with a medium green/lime pearl scallop, thin and long that doesn't break up the bodyline but compliments it.
    The SoCal car and some of the Bonneville type coupes got it right.
    For your truck, find a layout you like or get some photoshop help, It a blocky design so a front 1/3 2 tone with a medium length thin scallop down top of the door, a large radius to a shoter middle scallop then another large radius to a medium length thin scallop along the bottom of the door would work. you could also do long to short or short to long. Look at it long and hard to incorporate the fender, lay it out in tape

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  9. 2 Deuce

2 Deuce
    from pa

Rounded always look the best in my opinion.... be sure to lay your lines with the bodylines and PLEASE be sure to use a quality fine line tape to lay your pattern.... then trace you pattern on some 36" paper and transfer to the other side of the car .. the pattern will be reversed so you will have to either punch holes in the paper and use powdered chalk to transfer to the body.... or trim the paper and use it as a template to set up and use as a guide.... Keep in mind.... tape is always cheaper than repainting... Hope this helps

LeoH likes this.
  10. Fenders

Fenders

Fixed it for ya ... no one sees both sides at the same time. :D

11. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Never knew there were rules to painting scallops, but here's some pics and a few things to think about . Not all scallops have to look like someone painted a pitchfork on the side of your car . Sometimes less is better than more . Think long and sleek , not short and stubby . A little fading of colors goes a long way . They always look better with a pinstripe outline .

Attached Files:

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Saw some backwards scallops today. Please don't do that, my eyes still hurt...

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

No damn chance of that!:cool:
    here's a couple that I kinda like,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking this wayyyy too busy,

Attached Files:

14. Ole don

Ole don

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

One of my favorite scalloped cars. This was done in the original owners garage.
    IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0788-1.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg

16. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

my buddy kenneth's 54 desoto he scalloped. i am not much on the color combo but scallops look pretty good.

Attached Files:

17. 48buickkid

48buickkid

Follow as many body lines as you can while not treading into looking like a the beginnings of a Panel paint job. Try and keep them all flowing the same direction also. My 2 cents.

18. coppertone

coppertone

jimmy faris pics.JPG Try to take in ALL the body lines as you lay it out. Really helps if you can see it from a distance as you work. When you have it how you want it, leave it for a day and look again. Mine are pretty simple but took 1 1/2 days to lay out and a lot of tape in the trash.

LeoH likes this.
  19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Come visit me, bring a few rolls of tape. We can scallop that bitch out bigtime

20. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I have finish the motor mounts & build a drive shaft first,but like I stated I've been reading a bunch of threads & there really was no clear way of laying them out,some have no rhyme or reason:eek: kinda like they closed their eyes & started taping.

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Close eyes, lay tape, open, repeat until desired look is achieved.

22. gtokid70

gtokid70