Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Coupe decklid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, Jul 7, 2013.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

I need one. Who sells the best one? I understand they don't fit worth a darn, but can't come up with one otherwise, so i need the power of the HAMB.

Thanks,
    Ty

2. Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  3. ty johnson

ty johnson

I've got one but the corner is rotted pretty bad.

4. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

I would look at snyders or brattons but they ain't cheap

5. ty johnson

ty johnson

They all seem to be around or close to $600. I'd pay good $ for an original, but they are hard to find. Guy told me once "every time a coupe's for sale it's missing the decklid. Somebody has a shed full of them somewhere". I'd like to find that shed. LOL

6. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I have 2 one with a few rusty spots and the other is a repro that I picked up at a swap meet for less than $300.... I will trade either one for a good top..

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Brookville's are the best.. They supply most of the other parts houses with deck lids also...

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Im in the middle of this right now on a side project

I found an original that needs a skin and it seems to have to much curve to it and don’t fit well
    I got a new skin from sac. vintage ford that fit’s the hole better that the orig. lid :confused: ….. Iv yet to join them

Be glad you dont need a 27 roadster lid .... you think these are hard to find.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have used one from Snyders with no problems and Brookville has good parts. I have done 3 Model A coupes and most of the bodies aren't square so the gaps are hard to get straight.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hate to do this here, but I do have an O.K. savable one that I would ley go of for sale. P.M. me, please.

11. ty johnson

ty johnson

PM'd

I have already measured my opening to ck for square and it's going to need some adjustments for sure.

12. millersgarage

millersgarage

when I got a new lid for my coupe, I was told "you have to make the body fit the lid"

original ones will cost as much or more than a reproduction, and they will still need work.

Fix the one you have.

13. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I'm assuming you are looking for a complete deckilid, inner panel and outer skin. Brookville is nice but pricey, 600 plus. I have an outer skin I decided not to use because it just never fit properly and re-worked my original in the English wheel. If the inner panel is not important for you then there is lots of threads on here on how to make a decklid from scratch, not to difficult either and way cheaper.

14. pitman

pitman

In matching curves, my sense of how to get the fit close, was to loosen the grip of the skin, to the inner panel. Curve/bend the inner panel first, to curve properly then re-tack the skin. Have heard stories about closing the lid down on a 2 X 4 and such. Then there is the body-squaring game. To cure gap-osis!

15. Elrod

Elrod

Home made decklid on Mark's car (closest in photo). It looks great! Do it.

[​IMG]

16. Hellbilly_Buzzard

Hellbilly_Buzzard

Check out rodlouvers.com and click on large panels. Alliance vendor. Being an alliance member gets you 15% off. Takes some fitting...

17. ty johnson

ty johnson

I'm not that worried about making it fit, i can do that. I work on new cars all day long and still have to make the panels fit the still. Might have a line on a original. Need to look into making my own as well.