Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AD Truck Parts Hauler build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesdiecast, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Box and column is one piece not intended to be taken apart. Best bet would be to pull it, remove cab, then put it back if you want.

2. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Thanks Rustynewyorker. Got the steering box all loose now, with the exception of the pitman arm. Anyone have ideas of how to get it off without a gear pull? I used to have one, used to have a set of pickle forks as well, but (long story) now I don't. Am I going to have to buy a puller?

And I won an auction yesterday for some soapstone, gotta go pick that up later today and start marking up my stuff!

3. I did an A cab once, alone, by flopping the column loose, it laid down enough I could work the cab over it. Especially with no bed where you can go backwards with it, you may be able to get away with that.

4. I have a spare GMC hood.
    pm it interested

also I am looking for GMC hubcaps.

looks like you have your work cut out for you good luck.

5. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Got a little more work in on the truck today...

[​IMG]
    Found a little more swiss cheese looking stuff after scooping out the dirt that I moved to this side...

And I finally had to spend some money on this truck.. $15.08 for a pitman arm puller so I could do this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I had to do some cutting with a skinny disc:
    [​IMG]
    So I could get that body mount bolt out of my way.

Now I have to build a stand to put the body on, then find some friends (or enemies) to help lift it off!

6. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Got a little more done today... Had to spend $18 on some lumber to build a little table... You will see why shortly.

Couldn't wait to get the cab off the chassis, so I improvised a little bit. First I pushed the truck out of the garage. Then I pushed my cherry picker out of the garage. This is where it gets interesting.
    [​IMG]
    Quite the balancing act with a tow strap wrapped around the rockers and floorboard, looped through itself and the hook I put on one end grabbing the seat riser!
    [​IMG]
    I knew I wasn't going to be able to move the cherry picker out here, so I wiggled the chassis around it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And finally set the body on my new table! Still have to unbolt the e-brake from the body then I can bolt it down to the table.

Oh, and the reason for the ungodly tilt in the first pic, I forgot to undo the emergency brake rod!
    Now I can move on to new axles front and rear, get my 350/350 finished up and dropped in, get a driveshaft made, plumb up some brake and fuel lines, etc., etc., etc... Sounds so easy right?

7. lookin good! youre movin quick

8. Is it me or does the brown/red cab have a great big tall patch stuck in it where the hole you cut the green piece out to cover, is located? I can see a ridge at the top of it and the grey implies it's blended in with filler below.

9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

a little late , but you could have unscrewed the drag link end off and the pitman arm would stay with the box. [​IMG]

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

great start though.

11. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

I don't believe there is a patch there, someone just slathered bondo all over the damned thing at some point instead of fixing it...

12. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Sorry for the lack of updates, but there are none really. Iola was a bust, got a model kit of a 1950 Chevy truck so I can test paint combos, and got a little hot wheels 52 Chevy truck. And now i'm on a new job at 40 hours a week, plus my old job is now my second job at however many hours I want.

13. Greeat start, tearing down and making all the discoveries can be good and bad. You are making fast progress, you only got the trucks 2 weeks ago. For cheap front, agree to just get the 1/2 ton axle and spindles. Then a simple cheap disc brake conversion.

I put a Jaguar IFS in my 52 GMC. It is a little wide, but if you control the front wheel offset it works. Easy to find cheap donor vehicles, and the whole Jag IFS unbolts. I fit up to the frame bottom, and my fender lip/running board is about 7 inches off ground after some spring adjustment (shorter spring). Here is a pic for reference:

[​IMG]

I also used the Jag donor's IRS, but you can just put a regular open drive rear on the stock leafs.

Here is my truck as it is now, still working on wiring and then need to do all the windows and seals. I am using a 350/700R4 drivetrain.

[​IMG]

14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Looks like fun trucks

15. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Quick update: Sorry for the delays in posting anything, as there has been nothing to post. I got so busy with my new job, and it has been so cold this winter that nothing has happened. Except for a change of plans that would not have been liked on here. I bought a Plymouth Gran Fury so I could do a 318/904 with Volare front and pretty much the whole plymouth.

But now I realize that I don't have time for this project, sold the fury today, and have the truck up for sale as well. Bought me a drivable non hamb friendly truck yesterday that I can work on during the weekends. (1998 Dodge Ram if anyone cares)