Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. Deuces

Deuces

The wife calls me "JAWS"....:rolleyes::)

2. Television signing off at night,,HRP

[​IMG]

3. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

You've got my respect, Bro.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Sorry guys, didn't mean to throw an old wet blanket on this thread,.... Not looking for respect, or anything else,.... It's just been one of those weekends, When you think too much.... But thanks "automaticslim"

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I remember that real well. And they would play the national anthem before signing off. Then they started the late, late show and the Midnight special.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Let the midnight special... Shine the light on me...
    I love that tune...

7. chubbie

chubbie

WOW! thats a great memory, 11:00 punch the middle preset button on the AM radio..beaker street

8. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I forgot about popping tar bubbles, kept me entertained for hours on our quiet street.

Building tree forts from pilfered building materials....No engineering skills whatso ever, but they never fell down.

Playing along the creek behind the neighborhood, racing leaf and stick "boats" down the runs.

Litnin bugs in a jar.

Catching hundreds of peeper frogs at Grandma's house on the lake.

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Watching "Fantastic Voyage" to see Raquel Welch in a wetsuit.

Begging my folks to let me stay up late to watch "Star Trek" during its original run and succeeding.

Having T.C. Lemmons' mom live two doors down from my grandparents and seeing Garlits' rig parked on the street back in the 60's.

Grabbing a Butternut or Zagnut candy bar at the small local grocer after cashing in pop bottles for the refunds.

10. I remember tv channels going off the air at midnight.
    my neighbor Sylvia getting boobs.

11. working in a gas station with my buddies and everyone jumped at the chance to pump gas into a nice looking chicks car ,taking your time to wash the windshield

12. jaymann

jaymann

I remember that too, every time I look at the mirror and see the scar on my chin from the faceplant I took when the forks came off

13. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Reading "Say, Smokey" in Popular Science magazine.

Wire recorders.

Watching the first UNIVAC computer get installed in Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. headquarters NYC. They cut a hole in the wall on the 20th floor, hoisted it in pieces up the side of the building and slid it in.

The day the music died.

The first color TV in town.

The introduction of the Edsel (I liked it).

Spotting the taillight (through a torn corner of the cover) of a brand-new 1960 Oldsmobile as it came into NYC before they were officially unveiled. It was the back car on a car carrier coming over the Tappan Zee Bridge. It looked so cool and I remember my Dad and I wondering what kind of car it was.

Sputnik, Echo I, Telstar, Freedom 7.

The Cuban missile crisis.

Nov. 22, 1963

Seeing the Wynns Jammer break 200 at Island Dragway.

"Kitty" Genovese.

The Pueblo Incident.

Woodstock.

Seeing (Live on TV) an American driving a car on the moon.

When Jimmy abandoned the Shah and lost the Arab world.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  14. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

The thud of the clutch pedal in my dads 55 series 1 when he was done shifting.....

15. Deuces

Deuces

Made you notice, didn't it???....:D:D

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to the Lazarus department store in downtown Columbus. 6th floor toy department. Staring at the glass case full of the Corgi toy cars I couldn't afford and then buying a Matchbox. Usually only got Corgis for birthday or Christmas.

17. My dad putting me on a 44 massy harris tractor at the ripe old age of 9 to learn to plow. I grew up on a central kansas farm.

Loving the smell of a farm equipment dealers shop.

My dad working his farm equipment until way past midnight so he could run it the next day. He never hired anyone to fix anything.

Driving my '57 pontiac down the sidewalk in front of a popular college bar with both tires lit up. Tire tracks were there for years.

Leaving home in '63 and driving to las vegas to work. Was there when kennedy was shot and rembering exactly where i was and what i was doing when i heard about it.

Buying a '37 ford with the coolest flame job you ever seen for $45.00. Still have pictures. I was 15, i'm 70 now.

Thought the little slot in the back of the medicine cabinet for used razor blades was cool.

Working for a neighbor running his tractor for 3 days for $25.00 and thinking i made a lot of money.

My dad teaching me to run an arc welder and a cutting torch by the time i was 10 years old.

Feeling very fortunate that my parents were so young. My mother was 19 years older than i and my dad was 20 years older. Both are still living on the farm.

18. raymay

raymay

Watching the Bob Hope specials with the troops overseas. Always liked it when he had Ann Margaret and Joey Heatherton as entertainers. They were hot.
    My aunt had the first color TV in the family. It was like a green screen that you put in front of a regular TV.
    Air Raid shelters and drills in school where you had to duck and cover yourself under your desk.
    Reading my Happy Holister book about an escaped monkey from the space program. John Glenn orbiting the earth, Watching the moon landing.
    Going to Disneyland in the mid 50's and getting a Mickey Mouse hat that did not have cheap plastic ears.
    Playing with my 56 Tonka Fire truck that I later shared with my son and now with my grandsons.
    Zipper plating my first Chevy Coupe and driving it home as the fuses burned out along with some of the old wiring.

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Thought the little slot in the back of the medicine cabinet for used razor blades was cool.
    The TV commercial for I think Norelco Electric razor where they show the guy on the top floor of a city hi rise drop a blade through this slot and then they pan to outside the building as the entire outer brick wall collapses! It had something to do with the economy of the electric over tossing all those used blades.

20. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

as a carpenter I have torn into the bathroom walls of old houses to find literally 10 inches of razor blades between the wall studs under the med cabinet.

21. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

I was thinking James Caan in "El Dorado"

Arthur Hunnicutt almost steals the movie.

Attached Files:

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

MAN, this thread brings back so many memories.......................a small smile.
    Maybe even a wet eye or 2.........................................., but gosh I love it.

23. I remember riding on the rear package tray of my moms early 70's dodge when I was 3-4 years old.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

At 11 pm in the car and usually with female companionship. Hearing those songs brings lots of memories. Sometimes I sit at the computer for hours as You Tube leads me from song to song.

25. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

Im 51 and I still remember Mick Simence the high school baseball coach blasting guys who fell asleep in the back row of his history class in the forehead with a blackboard eraser thrown from the front of the room to wake them up. He was deadly accurate!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do not remember that. In my day, regular bottles were worth 2 cents and the large bottles were a nickel. Constant source of cash for a kid back then.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool stuff. We need to hear from more farm-raised folks.

28. Man! I remember that sound! Only it was on my Dad's 58. That is definitely part of my childhood memories. I could hear it 1/4 mile away when he was coming home.

29. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Riding my stingray 3 miles to islip speedway on a fri afternoon test session to see my friends dad on turn three sipping a gin and tonic while watching the modified he built at Grumman.
    It was a pet project he would call it,he was the head of transportation so he " horse traded " as he would say.
    Boy could that man make a car handle.
    You could walk in on fri afternoon but had to pay to watch the features that nite.
    On a warm nite if the wind blew north you could hear the announcer through my bedroom window between the roars of the cars coming off the turns.
    Big block modifieds open headers,a good way to grow up.
    1979, I was 13.

30. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

4 if you rotated the antenna. Lawence welk on sundays.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013