Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! fan hits 28/29 model a walker radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snopeks garage, Jul 7, 2013.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I don't understand how you can mock up your car with no frame....? That's a pretty critical piece of the puzzle.

2. badshifter

badshifter

You can argue until the end of time, but that engine is NOT where it belongs.
    You need to go back to the starting point (ground clearance) and re-configure.
    Most lowered cars with a tall back tire the drive shaft runs uphill to the rear end.
    Add to the fact you have no frame.......
    You don't have a problem yet.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  3. F&J

F&J

Geez, I missed those pics on page one... I thought the frame was built :eek:

Heck, I would not run the motor that high due to lack of footroom around the pedals and column.

4. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Thanks for all the help but looks like its a electric fan or space the radiator out more. Heres pix of low cars with high motors so you dont think that im crazy...

Attached Files:

5. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Im building the frame. I have no measurments to go off of. From the firewall back its finished. I pretty much put the body at ride height put the axles and tires where I want them and built a chaneled frame around that. now i need to know how long the front rails need to be and how much to z the front. inconclushion the distance from the radiator And front cross member back is important. Im trying to figure that out now.

6. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

beleve me im here to learn. With the front spring settled the stock oil pan will be 7.5 in off the ground and the frame and body will be 6.5 in off the ground. Unless I get a diffrent pan its jot going down but a half inch.

7. badshifter

badshifter

6.5 inches is a ton of ground clearance. Most early frames are 4 inches tall, and in most cases, the bell housing or trans pan is the lowest part of the car. There really is no need to keep the pan above the lowest part of the frame. If you run a dropped axle, depending on drop, it's most likely the lowest part of your build.
    Trust us, lower the engine.

8. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Allright ill try it out but I dont think the fan will work or my oil pan will only be like 4in off the ground. That seems pretty low to me. Are there any low model a guys out there who can add some tips on this?

9. Kinky6

Kinky6

Looks like its on stilts. I suppose it wouldn't hurt any to go to a show or a cruise-in and get some measurements of running cars to compare with. :confused:

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

10. You seem pretty confused on how you are going about it. May I suggest getting some help from a competent builder in the area. If you keep going down this road your going to end up with something your not happy with and will look silly. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

11. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

4", I only dream of that kind of ground clearance.....well no I dont actually because it would not suit my build. I agree with lowering the motor and going with a smaller fan, that would create a compromise that your radiator and your legs and feet will appreciate in the foot well area.
    [​IMG]

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Lower the motor. Heck, 4" is more clearance than my OT, stock, daily-driver has. With an aluminum oil-pan at that...

13. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

this your first biuld?

14. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Yes im confused. Yes this is my first frame-motor mock up Thats why i posted. without the hamb i wouldent be able to do this thanks for all the input I will lower the motor and go from there.

15. F&J

F&J

One important thing in mock up is leaving enough room to get in the car, and feet not get tangled in pedals, column, and having room to be comfortable.

The motor and trans has a lot to do with that room, and the placement of the motor affects where the column can/can't fit.

If you end up with a very tall driveshaft hump and trans cover, that can force you to use a skinny uncomfortale seat.

16. mow too much

mow too much

X's 2, why is the engine that high?

17. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Problem solved! Thanks guys

Attached Files:

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks good. Crazy chop.

19. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Much better man!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  20. Looks like you are going in the right direction........ Down.

Keep asking ?'s, you'll get good help here!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Just the pick. Its a 5 1/2 in chop.

Attached Files:

22. olskool34

olskool34

That looks way better Matt, if you need any help with anything - shoot me a line.