Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Studebaker Pickup with Overdrive MPG?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by YenkoNova, Jul 7, 2013.

1. YenkoNova

YenkoNova
    from Ohio

Looking at a '51 Studebaker that has a Flathead 6 and a 3-speed with Overdrive. Wondering what kind of gas mileage to expect from it. Its also a short bed. What would be the top speed for something like this? Anybody have one that they drive every day?

They look like pretty cool looking old trucks. To me, there's nothing like driving a old truck...The feel, The Smell, The Sound...Heaven!

2. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Those engines won the Mobil economy run for year after year. Great gas mileage in the high teens and low twenties if you drive it right. Have seen people get in the high twenties by using the OD to keep the engine in a low load condition. I have a Stude 289 with the 3 speed with OD and I get only 12 around town but on the highway I have gotten a high of 20 and average in the 15 to 17 range. The six will do better than the V8 obviously. Install a vacuum gauge and you will be able to see easily when you are loading the engine. Have fun and be prepared for people to ask lots of questions about your old truck. They are very cool.
    Dan
    Dan

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I would love to own that truck!

agreed, they are known to get good mileage compared to other pickup trucks.

you should be comfortable at 60 mph in OD