Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block help. Starts, sounds choppy then dies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tacho, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Tacho

Tacho

Greetings,

I did a little housekeeping under the hood and now the truck starts, runs choppy and dies. I took off the radiator to have it boiled and that led to blasting and painting the fan, battery tray, intake and exhaust manifolds. The spark plugs were replaced too. The things that weren't redone were the carburetor and spark plug wires. The other thing is the quick connect box that runs between the relay and the alternator now makes a buzz sound and feels hot. Don't know if its related but I could really use some input..thanks.
    I tried to upload a video without any luck.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Any water involved under the hood? If so pull the dist. cap and look for moisture,WD40 time if so.

3. Tacho

Tacho

Thanks John. Looked really clean, just sprayed a little Gibbs and put in a spare cap that was in better condition. Same results, starts and runs choppy then dies.

4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Brake clean the hell out of your dizzy, i had the same issue and i wasnt getting enough juice to it.

5. Tacho

Tacho

Intake manifold gasket wasnt perfect and caused too much vacuum. New gaskets and some gasgacinch again and it runs sweet. Cheers!