Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb. help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mellowgt, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

I have a holley 2300 2 bbl that I just rebuilt. When I was putting it back together I noticed the rebuild kit had an accelerator pump discharge needle check ball in the packaging. This rebuild kit is for many different models so I wasn't sure if mine needed it. I didn't see a check ball under my accelerator needle during the rebuild, my shop manual does not show or call for one. Now the holley web page shows one for the 2300, but its one with a electric choke, mine is manual still. Seems some may have had one, and some may have not? I'm having problems with fuel coming out of the overflow vent on the top of the carb. while cranking. It starts but does not stay running. I adjusted the float and it's right where it needs to be. Now I'm questioning this check ball. Can anyone confirm this? Its a holley 2300 2 bbl list# 2011 came off a 292 y block. Shop manual only shows screw, accel. pump nozzle, gasket and accelerating pump discharge needle.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Did you lube the black rubber o-ring on the needle an' seat assembly before you screwed into the float bowl???.....

3. F&J

F&J

Never worked on that carb; but normally, the weighted needle gets lifted by the accel pump pressure so it can squirt gas out the nozzels, but it's weight is enough to keep the venturi action from sucking gas out the nozzle.

There should be a check ball on the intake side of the accel pump. If it had none, the fuel would just return out the suction hole.

How much gas is dumping? If it is enough to kill the motor, I want to say there is a float/needle/seat issue, or float hanging up.

I always flip the carb aver rebuild, and blow into the inlet line to see if the needle is seated, then test it right side up.

4. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

No, I sure didn't.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The check ball is designed so the fuel from the accelerator pump to the squirters doesn't bleed all the way back, otherwise your first open throttle attempt will have to be followed by a second or it will bog.... And that is what you will notice with out it....

Fuel coming out of the top is a float set to high. Perhaps a needle jammed or other. Your gonna have to inspect the floats and make sure they are loose....

2 separate issue's

6. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

Here is what the shop manual shows, it is different from holleys page. No check ball in mine. I will have to pull the bowl off and look at the float again. It seems to be fine when I pull the sight plug. Fuel is right at the bottom of threads. Of course I have not been able to check this while it is idling yet, just after cranking it. Fuel has not spilled out when I pull the plug.

[​IMG]

7. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

just finished rebuilding 3 2300s all different and all with check balls. your kit might have several sizes of balls so make sure you install the correct one. also did you preset your float level? this is accomplished by inverting the float chamber section and turning the top needle screw until the top of the float is parallel to the top of the carb. once carb is installed fine tune float level by removing the overflow
    screw and turning in or out on the top adjustment screw till fuel just stops coming out through the overflow screw hole. ps the check ball goes on the upstream side of the pump diaphram

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  8. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

Yeah there was a small one for the accelerating pump needle and a large one for in the diaphragm assembly housing. I just never seen one come out of the accel. pump and manual doesn't show/mention it. I'll take it back apart tomorrow and see what it looks like. Maybe the shop manual is a misprint...

9. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

if you have trouble ill see if i can locate a better drawing tomorrow night. that shows the assembly and tuning proceedures for these 2300s

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I the small check ball is for the diafram on a secondary side and would not have any thing to do with fuel coming out of your vent tube. You have a float or needle and seat problem.

11. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

I figured the the fuel overflow was a float issue, maybe it was stuck after the rebuild. I adjusted it and it seems fine now. I was just confused about the accel check ball.

The large ball that was in my kit definitely would not fit under the accel pump needle.

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Well that's 1 issue fixed, Did you try to start the car now that fuel isn't spewing out all over?

If you do, you might wanna "NOT" have it in the garage....

Messin with gas you need to be in an open air envirement. Many of houses are ashes because of this.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the carb has a needle it will not use the check ball under it. Thay do supply a ckeck ball to replace the one under the tab on the the accl pump housing if needed.

14. 58custom

58custom

This.

15. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

Definitely has a needle, the housing for the needle is cone shaped as well, this is where I was getting confused. Did not look like a check ball would even fit.

I pushed the truck outside while messing with the carb., things can go south quick with messi g with fuel and hot pipes!

16. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

I believe salt flats is correct. needle and seat. no ball. except diaphragm check ball under tab(if your tab is still in place)? if your tab is missing the kit should have one.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  17. Mellowgt

Mellowgt

After researching some more I have confirmed my carb has the needle and not the check ball and weight. See reassembly step 3 not 1. I also found out I installed the wrong gasket on my power valve, I just put the one on in the kit that looked like my old one. Turns out there is a different gasket for different power valves. I had a flooding issue and it wasn't my float or needle/seat, they were set right and free. I'm thinking I may have some internal leaking going on now with that wrong gasket. Guess I'm pulling it back apart, always learning. These are two good links if anyone wants to know more about the holley 2300.

http://chicagocarburetor.com/pdf/Instructions-Holley_2300.pdf

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10013rev.pdf