Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. 62hotcat

62hotcat

guy comes up to my mostly original factory tri-power 4sp 3;90 geared 62 catalina and starts talking to me for awhile about it. than he says theres a kid in town with a black one that he cut up and ruined with a big scoop raised in the front loud exhaust etc etc. I turn to him and say you mean my son and the 62 he and i saved from the crusher. That was the most akward silence i ever witnessed.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

He must have meant "the nut that holds the steering wheel" lol ha ha ha ha ha.

3. J_J_

J_J_

Had a customer in the shop once that was picking up the 65 chevy truck we just finished re doing for him bs'ing about trucks and he started bitching about the guy with the 68 chevy truck that was obviously not street legal, to loud and how it sounded like the trans was slipping all the time and the multi color primer job etc. So I ask him if he wanted a ride. he about died and almost pissed himself when he saw the engine compartment and interior told him I cant seem to get it finished working on everyone elses toys..

4. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I had a guy ask me what year my model T was. I told him it was a 1928 model A. He told me ford didn't make model A in 1928 so I said I have a 1928 model T then. My dad would say " you can't win an argument with a ignorant person" so true!

5. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I was sitting behind my 37 Terraplane at the Jalopy Showdown an some guy ask what kind of car it was. When I told him, he ask if it was a real car or did I make the grill up. Another guy said he never met on before, so I offered to interduce him to it.. They walk amoung us.

6. geno59

geno59

I came to work one day in my '59 Chevy back in about 1988. A guy comes up to me asking what dealership sold me the car and do they have any left. I told him about a dealership a few hours away and told him they still had plenty left still sitting on the lot. Unbelievable.

7. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Kid in my high school auto shop had a gen 3 camaro with the biggest cowl induction hood I've ever seen. Looked like a stock motor but had a foot tall k&n air cleaner on it. Me and another guy are lowering my 56 Chrysler and some freshman come in:
    "This is the one I was telling you about. He says it does eight seconds flat in the quarter. He works a lot just to pay the insurance."
    Looks at us.
    "Hey, do you guys know what he has under the hood of this thing?"
    My buddy Scarpelli says, "He's got a really big air cleaner and that's all."
    The freshman, " WOW! That's sooooo awesome."
    We laughed for days.

8. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I forgot! My neighbor told me that he used to have a 63 stingray and one time dumped the clutch so hard that it ripped the rear out of the leafs, snagged the frame, and rolled the rails to the back seat. I didn't know what to say.

9. ^^^^ I think that guy went on to make the movies for fast and furious bwahhhh

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I blame the parents.

11. saucerhead

saucerhead

Just saw an ad on Craigs List . 350 chevy engine $1500. Must put in a race car. This engine twisted two cars in two and ripped a trans out of another. The picture showed the engine. It looked pretty stock, with a single AFB style carb and a rusty set of small tube headers. Really? Must be some really good reefah he smoked.

12. I own two studebakers. while at a large cruise night last year, a lady looking at my 61 lark cruiser told me her grandma had one just like it, except it had the pushbutton transmission. i told her studebaker never made a pushbutton trans. she said " so what, this a rambler, right? when i showed her the stude script on the back of the car, she said i must have put that there. my other stude is a 64 daytona hardtop. guys will occasionally ask why i put those mopar emblems on the fenders.

13. 63comet

63comet

Stopped in at the Bumper to Bumper for some stuff one day, also is a full service garage.

I asked the owner/head mechanic about the Lotus in the lot. He looked at me questioningly so I pointed and said "the yellow Europa", he said "oh, that's some kind of kit car"

I checked it out, it was definitely a Europa. I feel bad for its owner.

14. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

Last night I was out in the Mustang just enjoying the warm weather. I stopped at a gas station to fill up and a nice little old lady of the evening approached me to compliment the car.

"That's a beautiful mustang! My husband restores them for a living."

-"Oh thank you. That's neat."

"Yeah he has a nice '55, '57 and '59 mustang. He loves them. That '57 Mustang is real hot."

-"I bet, that's pretty cool."

I have her the benefit of the doubt. No point in arguing if they're polite about it.

15. "These are the orgional tires. Thought about changing them."
    He had Cokers on a Model A.

16. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

don't hold back. tell us how you really feel lol

17. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

What was her price?:rolleyes:

18. diamond dave

diamond dave

yup. as it sits 3'' off the ground with radials, air bags and a t5 . . . .

19. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Its rust_free!

20. VTjunk

VTjunk

I was at a show last summer showing a cafe style bike I'd just finished, and unfortunately was close enought to the import cars to overhear a kid telling somebody his VW Jetta turned 10.00 at 150mph in the 1/4. He saw me looking at him and got a little red in the face because he knows who I am and what I own for cars, and that I knew was full of it.

Read through quit a few pages and haven't seen the one about the car that was so fast you could watch the gas gauge go down. Usually a 4 door Cutlass. Maybe thats regional?

People used to tell me all the time about the 55 or 59 Falcon they or a relative had when I had my 60 at shows. Or that Ford never made Falcons with V8 engines.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Back in high school, I won a bet on a V8 Falcon. This bone head SWORE they never had a V8 from the factory. Said it was a popular swap though. As luck would have it, my grandmother was visiting one weekend and drove a Falcon. I never had to deal with that guys bull shit ever again. I LOVE calling 'em out.

22. I was told by an acquaintance that his grandfather had a Model T with a Flathead V8 and I said I didn't doubt it,,, back in the day I would think some enterprising young man installed a flatty in a Model T.

He stopped me in the middle and said no,,his grandfather bought it brand new in 1926 and he had the title but the car had been sold before he was born,,I decided it was useless to argue with him! :rolleyes: HRP

23. Wasn't aware Super Stockers had injectors... :eek: Learn something new every day.

24. OldColt

OldColt

I asked a guy if his sbf in his 34 Ford Coupe was a 289.
    He said "nope, it is a 302, I wouldn't have a 289." :confused:

When I asked him why, he said they will blow up if you try to get them up to 6500 rpm or more. :confused:

So, I said 6500 rpm should not be a problem in a well built 289. He replied "They blow up at 6500 rpm no matter how many expensive goodies are in the engine." :confused:

I knew better, so I just complimented him on his nice car and moved on to the next car in the show.

--- Steve ---

25. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

I met a woman who told me that when she was a Miss Miller Beer at a drag strip in California John Force let her do a burn out in his fuel funny car. She wanted to do full pass, but he wouldn't let her.

26. You must be talking about a '69 Chevy Truck with a 396 that I once owned. It wasn't all that fast but you could sure watch the gas gauge go down. :D

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

I had the garage door open the other night while working on the Scout. The Recycling truck swings by and the workers see the Scout and all 3 come into the garage (uninvited) to see it. The first guy has his work gloves all over the Scout leaving greasy smear marks. But the comment stopped me cold.... "Whoa man... F'n Awesome... How much Nozz is in it ?" (God I hate that term!!). I replied "None" it's got a supercharger and I don't run Nitrous. He looked genuinely annoyed and disappointed - " Gotta have Nozz man Gotta have Nozz !! I gotta 74 Chevelle with a 327 from a Vette and a 1000 shot of Nozz. It pulls the wheels so hard that we bolted the rear doors shut to keep them from flying open.

There was so much wrong with what he had said that I just nodded and agreed that's pretty good. Suggested a match race some day... Thankfully all 3 left to catch up to the truck and finish their rounds.

At least he didn't say it pulled the wheels in 2nd gear...
    Sometimes you just have to let it go...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  28. 5559

from tn

I had a 55 210 wagon about 20 yrs ago & about 95% of everybody that I talked to told me what a nice nomad it was---I gave up trying to convince them it was just a wagon,usually after they said something like--- its got to be a nomad because its a 2 dr

29. zarbtime

zarbtime

....actually I did ride in a car where we could watch the gas gauge go down...In McLean VA in 1965 they had just finished the Dulles access road and it had no exits or cops.....Many of us liked to take the family car out to see if we could 'bury' the speedometer...One night Freddy Maynard took a group of us out in his dads' 59 Mercury station wagon...at 120 mph (speedometer reading) you could watch the gas gauge sinking...

30. ironpile

ironpile

Bought it this way,havent had time to.....yada,yada,yada.:rolleyes: