Register now to get rid of these ads!

vin likes diesel m.o

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vin likes diesel, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Thank you, it feels like im trying to hide a spitfire aeroplane engine in a shoe box, want to get it running possibly driving for september and our hotrod drags, still so much to do.
    cheers vin

2. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Managed to remove the jag gear box tunnel, trimmed it to 50 inches wide to mount to my outer chassis only to find my door gap is 45 inches so more trimming needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Spent today trimming and fitting the gear box tunnel, here's how i got on, got a bit more cutting and adjusting. Hand brake and shifter will be moved forward, wide part of lower tunnel flushed so hopefully jag seats will fit.
    cheers vin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

got trimming this morning, I really wanted to use the jag seats so when i cut the tunnel i cut out the seat framesso they could be reused.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

started the other side, gearbox now on its own mount..
    [​IMG]

6. ozbilt

ozbilt

Great job !!! We are following your build from here in Australia. I think you are becoming quite famous ..... :)

7. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Not much progress fabricating as i want to strip the last bits off of the jag, but the good news is the jag fuel tank fits to m.o with an adjustment to the tubs. its only metal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Thanks for the compliment, now if there are any solid doors and wings out in Australia..........

cheers vin

9. Woodlouse

Woodlouse
    from London UK

Bloody hell, Vince your not wasting any of that Jag.
    Keep on posting.

10. davo461

davo461

Another subscribed Aussie. This whole project is ridiculous!!
    But,I would like to take it around the block, via the North Circular.
    You are right about fitting a RR Merlin into a shoebox; obviously you can do that!!
    The whole project is amazing!
    Davo461.

11. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Still stripping the jag. Every bit of wiring is out, just a few bits to remove then the jag is off to scrap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Had to improvise getting the jag to scrap. Really think I got my money's worth, kept the doors back for the electric stuff, can now dance in the workshop ifi wanted to.
    cheers vin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Pics, or it didn´t happen. :D

How much wiring does one car need? Where do you even start on a loom like that?

14. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

No pictures of the dancing.lol. it seems to need all of it, i can lose the aircon wiring but going to have to fit it all and then remove the unwanted, fingers crossed and folded.

cheers vin

15. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Got this far today before I run out of steam

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice build and good work.Sorry to say that, but modern door handles on old car always make me cringe. Build it as you like, but i think that's gut wreching ugly...maybe you should rethink the door handle solution...just my 0.02$

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BTW, i really admire your skills and the quality of your builds!!! Great work!!

18. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

yes i understand about the door handles, not my cup of tea but i have two broken handles and spent a year looking for good ones but spares for this car are nearly non excistent, plus the locks are like a house front door.

Also will be able to have central locking and the original alarm. All comments are welcome.

cheers vin

19. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

just started cutting some metal for the front tubs[​IMG]

20. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

What tool is that. Though this is far from a traditional build I am very impressed for many reasons and I am glad it is here for me to watch! Keep up the good work!

21. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Hi, its a circle cutter made by FROST. I bought it with a 3 foot sheet metal guilitine.

I really do understand that this is not a traditional build and if it offends any one I will happily stop any updates as I'm not here to offend just post pictures of my updates,

cheers vin

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A thought I had a while back, no idea if it would work: a lot of modern cars have handles one might call "pull-staple". I think Mercedes-Benz were first with the type in the '70s. This is where the handle is hinged at the front and there is a pull-out action at the back to operate the latch.

The ones on my dad's '75 Mercedes-Benz 350SE are stainless and might not look out of place on an older car. Most modern ones are going to be plastic, but I've seen some with a brushed-stainless/nickel-plate finish, no doubt paper-thin. But what I got to thinking was, if one can take the latch apart and remake the actual handle part in brass as a flat hoop with a slight crown, like the Morris handles, and then have it chrome-plated, one might have the best of both worlds. I cooled a bit on the idea when I saw how much plastic there tends to be on the inside: the stuff isn't durable, it doesn't like the passage of time.

Here are the Mercedes ones:
    [​IMG]

23. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Thanks for the info, this is a budget build so it was cheaper to use as much of the doner as possible, this really is a like or hate build, i do under stand that.

cheers vin

24. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I think you are doing ass kicking work over there. More, please.

25. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Got a couple of hours in today as it has just been to hot for workshop the last few weeks, front tubs all made and welded.
    Going to run some beads in them tomorrow as i need two people and i was on my own today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cheers vin

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  26. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

One beaded tub just resting. Just need trimming
    [​IMG]

27. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

Well been away from the workshop for a while, was not happy with the front end so I cut it off, this happens a lot with me and as my vision keeps changing so does the cars needs, I figured I would build some crumple zone in to the car so the inner tubs will now house the radiator mounts and a light weight front x-member will be fabricated onto the tubs to mount the bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I will have some where to mount electrics and stop water getting to the electrics .
    Alittle bit more trimming and the wing will fit

[​IMG]

cheers vin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.