Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Dodge Pilothouse pickup build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead dodge roadster, Jul 6, 2013.

1. So anyone who has followed my past build threads will know, I am horrible when it come to keeping things up to date on my builds. So this will just be a running journal of my resurection of this long forgotten truck I have been looking at for the last couple years. Consider this an intro to my newest un-needed project, a 1953 Dodge B4B 1/2 ton pickup.

[​IMG]

I first saw this old truck while driving through the small town i live near, parked out in a field near an old farm house. I looked around and never could track down a land owner or anyone who knew any history of the old thing. So it sat for a couple of years rotting and I would look at it from a distance waiting till i saw life somewhere on the property, building the truck in my head every time I drove by. Finally lo and behold I see a gate with a no trespassing sign open on the corner of the property, so I park and wait for someone to come back out. (I Will never go into a "no trespassing" marked area again, I have a .45 cal bullet hole in the windshield of my '63 pickup to remind me some people are not very friendly.) After about half an hour I was greated by the owner, the grand daughter or the original owner, and after a long conversation and family history of the truck being purchesed new by her grandfather and picked up by her uncle who took a train to detroit to drive the truck home, we were able to agree on a good price and I was the new owner/care taker of this one family owned rig.

I won't get into to many family details other then whats already posted and that the truck never went more then 20 miles from home. I have every licence plate the truck ever wore and ever registration from when it was new to when it was parked in the mid 70's. The odometer showed 56,000 miles, the paint is hevily oxidized but polishes up very nice, the interior is all original but dry rotting from the decades in the weather. The only rust i found so far in in the fender brace area that these trucks are known for and a little on the drives side fender where it meets the door. Both are easy fixes.

The engine was "preserved" in about a half inch of grease and road dirt, but a quick trip to the presure washer cleared most of that away to revel all the factory chalk and grease pencile markings in the engine bay. All it took to make a runner out of the old thing was a new battery, normal points/condencer/plugs etc and quick carb prime after I cleaned the varnish out of the bowl passeges. Two shots of starting fluid later it was running like the it had never been parked, 35lbs of oil pressure no weird noises. It did smoke for about 5 min till it cleared out all the old gunk and the rings/valves resealed but starts 1st time you touch the starter floor botton now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that is enough for today, Im currently around the world in one of the many "---stan" countries for a couple more days but can't wait to get back and start on the brakes so I can drive the old truck more then around my property.

More picture to come as I take them, and I'll try to do a better job keeping this thread updated. As soon as this truck is a driver, I'll be tearing into my '31 A pickup for its AV8 build.

And sorry its so long winded, I get on a roll and don't know when to stop.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Great looking truck and a nice read. I like it when guys post a full story with good picks to share the adventure of securing a diamond in the rough. Far better than the " I scored this car out of a garage what's it worth" threads. Can't wait to read more and see this thing hit the road.

3. Nice truck, I have one just like it..... or it was, now chopped and sitting on a Dakota frame. Funny you should mention the rot spots on the left front fender. I just repaired those areas on mine today. Same spots. Looking forward to some updates.

4. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Sweet! good story too.

5. There is more to the story, but I got lazy. I also got a bunch of slides from the day the truck got to washington with the uncle, just need to figure out how to get them on my computer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. skull

skull

dodge trucks are a blast, ya don't see too many pilothouse's around. l get a ton of comments on mine every where we go.

keep us updated please.

what are the plans:confused:

Later :cool:

7. 55willys

55willys

I have got a 48 that I don't think I will have time to do anything with. I would like to sell it to somebody who can use it. PM me if interested Jim (55willys)

8. chafin

chafin

55willys I wish you were closer

9. I knew I forgot something......the plan for this truck is to drive it while I'm doing the av8 swap on my 31 pickup.
    I'm keeping the flat-6 and 4 speed, swapping the rear for a jeep xj or ford 9in (which ever I find 1st), dropped axle in front and either stock rims with factory caps or some rocket wheels with skinnys on front and pie crusts on the back. Eventually I'll throw an intake and 6 into 2 header with glass packs or smittys. It's a low dollar truck to have fun with.
    First project is the brakes when I get home. Kanter sells a complete overhaul kit or I may look into the front disk swap to match the better brakes on the rear axle I find.

10. Glad to hear you're planning on running a dropped axle instead of IFS. It's a lot of work but its worth it in the end, if you have any questions about the install don't hesitate to shoot me a message. Looks like a real solid truck, I'll be following this build closely!

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

12. rt338b

rt338b
    from Illinois

Have fun I sure have while building mine. Really like the different look of the dodges

13. rt338b

rt338b
    from Illinois

Pics

Attached Files:

14. Nothing to update really, I got the truck running pretty well, drove it around the dirt roads around my place......all without brakes and a boat gas tank strapped to the fender.

Brakes will be ordered soon, I think I may have a lead on a Dana 44 out of an XJ jeep cherokee this weekend. Just looking for an affordable interior guy to recover my seats and make some new filler panels and head liner for the cab. More to come soon, I've spent more time flying around the globe this year (flying crew chief) then sitting at home...not much getting done.

15. thom8

thom8

what is the condition of the truck? How much do you want for it?
    Regards, Bob T

16. farmer12

farmer12

Great story, looking forward to the progress reports. Nice truck!

17. Sorry everyone.....another few months with no progress. i haven't even been home in 5 weeks. Hard to build a rig when your on the road.

18. Sooo.....long time and no updates. Like before I have been traveling most of the last year, about 28 weeks so far.

Sitting here staring at Kanter Auto parts trying to decide if I want to order a complete brake kit or keep searching for a new rear axle and convert the fronts to disk's. Still trying to get this truck on the road for next to nothing so i've got something to drive this summer. (Sold my model A a couple months back and my '65 Coronet isn't going to be together this year with a kid on the way.) So what axles fit under these trucks with minimal work? I know the Jeep XJ cherokees are close on width....but the dana 35 is farely light duty and the D44 is hard to come by and brings a lot more money due to the 4x4 guys swaping them in place of their blow up D35's. So anyone running something else in place of the stockers in these trucks that might be a little easier or cheaper to find?
    Kanters Stock brake overhaul kit is around $500 not counting new brake lines, fluids, my labor time and whatever small parts I need to replace while doing the brakes. I would like to think I can convert to front disks using the RustyHope brackets and parts store pieces for less than the the kanter kit....and hopefully find a rear axle that I can get affordable brake pieces for that won't break the bank.
    I would like to keep the whole swap under $800 including front brakes, rear axle and any driveshaft mods I might have to do.

I am very open to suggestions on what way to go.

19. I am running an AAJ brake disc kit on the front and a 87 Dakota rear axle on mine I did not install the rear axel it was on the truck when I purchased it six years ago, but I have had no problems.

20. 1950 Special Deluxe

1950 Special Deluxe
    from Saskatoon

I have a 1952 Dodge DG-1, (Canadian version). It is all original, got it running last summer, started on brakes. I hope to put it on the road next summer. Will follow your story and try to add my own.

21. 1950 Special Deluxe

1950 Special Deluxe
    from Saskatoon

22. cheeto

cheeto
    from WA/MT

Can't see the original pics, can you re-post?

If you decide to pass on this project I'm looking for one and I'm just east of you. :D

23. I'll figure out the pictures when I get home in the morning, I've got most of the original paint buffed out now so the cab is looking pretty good. I have actually been kicking around the idea of selling this one to thin the heard a little bit more. As of right now it still isn't titled, but I'll be working that issue next week.

24. cheeto

cheeto
    from WA/MT

PM sent ( and 2nd attempt to subscribe to this thread).

25. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Project.

Attached Files:

26. cheeto

cheeto
    from WA/MT

Perfect! Love the stance/wheels/muted color. Specs or build thread?

27. 73RR

73RR

You must not be looking very hard.
    A quick scan of the Spokane craigslist shows multiple listings for folks parting Jeeps and Explorers...just sayin'

28. Like that same post says....lots of Dana 35s not many Dana 44s. As a Jeep owner, I know the limitations of the 35, a stock 190hp Wrangler can blow one to pieces without to much work. I have been kicking around the 8.8 ford idea, but our eastern Washington napa stores just got all of my free play money for the month. (43% off everything in the stores since the Seahawks won the superbowl)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  29. strolldaddy

strolldaddy
    from Georgia

Very Nice...working on a 52 B3B myself.

30. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Easy way to do it is take the slides to a Walgreens and have them put the slide pictures on a disc.