Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 chevy wagon in progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Walls, Mar 23, 2010.

1. one2roc

one2roc

Cody..... I have to ask, are you self taught and learn by doing or did you have a mentor somewhere along the line? I'm continually amazed at the work you've accomplished so far. The finish line is in your sights! Keep up the amazing work.

Allan

2. one2roc

one2roc

Did you media blast the car down to bare metal? I was curious to know what kind of Epoxy and Primer you used on the wagon? I know the paint was R+M. I've had a few of my parts stripped (dipped and coated with phosphorous to keep it from rusting) but I need to get epoxy on them soon. I know there's a huge debate over dipping vs. media blasting but we won't go there.... I have to say my parts are 100% clean and free of rust though!

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, what cool longroof, I wish I could see this in the flesh!

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Hey Cody, since I started following your build months ago there's been something I've wondered...didn't even consider asking you until now, lol...go figure.

Anyway, it looks like you painted the car in segments. Did you? And if you did, how did you manage to keep the pearl/flake consistent from piece to piece? I've always been told that you can't do a pearl/flake job in pieces...they all have to be shot on the car at once. Just wondering if you did otherwise, and how?

6. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

well it all starts off with my father and grandfather , because without them I wouldn't be doing what i'm doing today , as a young boy and growing up around the York pa area we always went to York and crusng oc car shows. that's where the obsession started , and I guess that's what you need to be in this, a crazy love and obsession of it , see I lost my father and both of my grand fathers at a young age , they were all gone by the time I was 13 , and because of that , my obsession and passion grew immensely for old cars , so my mom , my brother and I moved down to Delaware around the time I turned 13 , I went to school ,came home and locked my self in my room and studied cars , lines ,shapes ,proportions, any thing I could get my hands on to deal with old cars , until I started working around 14 , at 14 I bought my first car , a 1964 chevy impala , I had a very veg mechanical ability but that was another stepping stone , so I got into a vo tech for high school and took up autobody , in that sort 4 years I restored that 64 to the best of my ability , I learned a lot in vo tech , but it was just the very basic things , I learned more from redoing my impala than anything , by that point in time , so also while is was in vo tech I did an auto body competition called vica skills usa, I won states competition and made my way to nationals , in doing so I got a full scolorship to wyo tech , , so after I graduated highschool , I went to wyo tech . I really didn't learn much from the auto body course , but I did pick up quite a bit from the hot rod course, once I graduated from there I went to work for the Hot Rod Garage , I worked there for 5 years , I pick up quite a bit of knowledge from there as well as detail , clean and flowing lines and a all around great knowledge of hotrods and custom cars , so I left there over some things im not going to talk about and here I am , out on my own as a sub contractor in this line of work , i've picked up a lot of things from a lot of different people , also from making lots of mistakes , and learning on my own as well , but the big things is, me not being afraid of work , and having the obsession to keep wanting to learn new thing, an just having this crazy passion for this stuff .

I sand blasted the body ,I used r-m ep689 epoxy, did my body work over that , slick sand , more filler where I needed , more slicksand until it was righr , then DP 26 for sealer and then paint n clear

thanks

thank you

ive been asked that a lot , there was no possible way for me to spray all these parts at one time , also I wanted to get the thing on the engine comp done so I wasn't leaning over the fenders messing things up . with the body I did from the front doors back , when im ready for the front end im going to put it on and blend the front doors to the fenders , if that doesn't work then im going to have to spray everything on the out side at once , together , but ive touched up some things already and it doesn't blend out to bad . its just the nature of the beast I guess . or im just going about things the wrong way .

7. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, thanks for letting us in on your life. Lost my Dad in my 20's, he was the reason for my passion with cars and trucks, I think a lot of us fall in that group....Jim

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

You have a sickness..... and I like it !!!!

I have been doing this stuff for over 40 years... you my dear man... are a craftsman! Your attention to detail and some of the ideas you come up with are over the top.

9. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

im sorry to here that jim , but yes your right a lot of us do , I also think at time is the extra push that keeps us going
    well thank you

10. one2roc

one2roc

Both of my parents worked in automotive related industries, Dad was a machinist for Airesearch building Turbos and Mom worked at Grant Piston Rings back in the day. Since a small child, before I even learned to read English I was looking at Hot Rod magazines dreaming of cars and racing. I've had my fair share of cars over the years but have to balance my toy budget and retirement fund now. I'll get my 62 Bel Air wagon done on a shoe string budget and hope to build my ultimate 51 Merc when I retire. Thanks for sharing Cody, you're well on your way to greater things in life!

11. What I see here is a guy with an insane amount of talent, yet a humble attitude and willing to learn from anyone. Very respectable. Thanks for what you bring to this hobby.

12. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thank you , it's seem like a lot of us this really starts at a young age ,

Thank you for such kind words

13. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

just an unusual Wednesday picture update
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bet it is all photoshopped...........that's it. You should see how good I have become at quilting since you started this thread and I gave up cars.

I guess it's OK

15. Looking good Cody! I have heard it said the way you eat an elephant is one bite at a time. You about have this elephant eaten. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, don't know about the rest, but I will take a photo update Monday thru Sunday with no problems.:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:...Jim

17. I want to see this in person SO badly.

Amazeballs!

18. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fixed!

19. Tank

Tank

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mai Ki-Ki
    I want to see this in Rodder's Journal SO badly.

Agreed!

20. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

just a quick Monday update I will try to get back to you all here soon , ive been down working on the wagon like a mad man this weekend and today ,
    I got a lot more done than what is showed in the pictures , but here is the pics I took

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's my brother in the background , he came by sunday to lend a hand on the small stuff

21. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, glad you had a good weekend on the car, getting the work done is what counts...Jim

22. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

lol john :D

thank , yah its getting close to the end ,

I wish I could do a update every day , but there usually isn't enough time in the day

haha , that's great guys , I would love to see it in there as well. it would definitely make my decade :D

23. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thanks jim sunday was a little rough , but things worked out Monday

24. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

25. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Mike I'm still trying to make your jalopyrama with the wagon , :D

26. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Everything looks amazing Cody, great job!

27. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

so only one picture today , but I did get a lot done , I worked on a lot of small stuff that really doesn't show progress, I did manage to install the windshield wiper mechanism , got that all wired up and working , so that's done , the heater , radio , air compressors , also are finshed and working , I ran into some problems with my air ride controller , so I had to send that back to the company that made it, , I also started installing the e break cables an by that time the day was over

[​IMG]

28. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thank you

29. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, progress is progress. Each little items adds up to alot of work done...Jim

30. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

It sure does Jim