Register now to get rid of these ads!

**Horray for the star spangled Banger** July 2013 Banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jul 1, 2013.

1. at $638 for a gear set i would pluck down the extra cash and get a quick change

thats my .02
    tk

2. jim galli

jim galli

I drove the roadster 1860 miles to Oregon and back in May. Can you live with a quick change in a driver? (whine) Or are they mostly for looks and shorter drives.

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Mine is in the "bed" of my RPU (see picture below). I rarely hear mine. There are speeds that I can hear it, but at speeds over @ 40 mph. The wind noise is much greater then the rear end!!!!

There is a lot more between you and the quick change in your car then in mine.

I drive mine all the time. It can cruise the freeway at 75 -80 mph with ease.

[​IMG]

Video of a ride around the block. You can hear the ratchet of the locker , but no gear noise.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Great video, your truck is one sweet machine.:cool:

5. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Is it just me or is there a tree what's the shape of a head at about the 2 min. Mark. O and as always thanks for the ride

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Floyd "Fat boy" Hanson from Bakersfield once gave me a ride in his 30 roadster with a SBC and , I think, a large Winters, Quickchange that whined and howled as he drove. We were at the old Kernville car show, I started to make a remark about the noise then it hit me and I said to him, " Hell, you paid extra for that didn't you" He said, "Thats right !"

7. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

I showed pics of my chassis last month, well I was able to get the roadster together for the 4th of July parade after all. It was a wet one, but I made it.

[​IMG]

Engine runs great, still trying to get the brakes working to my satisfaction. Windshield goes on ASAP.

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

8. joemac05

joemac05

Good for you !! Congratulations....

I made a similar goal with mine to an event last week with my new banger installed. :) I nearly went to the dark side and put a SBC in it. :p

Attached Files:

9. Will,

Props to you for getting it done AND taking it to the parade in the pouring rain. I see no one wanted to ride in the rumble seat!

10. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Well done Will on both counts!

11. Rokkern

Rokkern
    from Norway

Congrats!
    Looking good !:)) Gotta love rain..

12. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Thanks guys, there were no takers on the rumbleseat but my daughter did say I was the craziest dad in the parade... I took that as a compliment. :)

Will

13. Just for the sake of conversation. What kind of life span and reliability can I expect from a mildly warmed over A banger?
    For mods I'm thinking 5.9 head, lightened flywheel, mild cam, header, downdraft carb and FS ignition. The motor was rebuilt before I got it and has virtually no miles. I plan on pulling it and checking the condition of the babbit and the bearing clearances.
    The motor still has stock oiling and non adjustable lifters.
    The reason I ask is I'm sure you get to a point where the increase in power will shorten the life of the motor. I'm a new to Bangers and am trying to get as much info as I can so I don't mess it up.thanks, Todd

14. RussTee

RussTee

You say mild update key word being update hopefully with a sensable rebuild useing modern ignition modern style valves improved carburation ect all of which should prolong engine life. Well I guess many of our motors have done 80 years so if we get another 50 I guess we cant complain?

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

[​IMG]

oops it just fell out...:D

16. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Someone point me to the way of swapping the A rear spring with a T...I did a straight swap, and it didn't change.

Sent from my HTCONE using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. PM Elrod. He did the swap on his A. I believe he started with a 8 leaf spring and removed 2 leaves. There were 3 different versions of the T spring depending on the vehicle it went in. Todd

18. Everything ok????

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Just doing some checking....
    They say they run real good before the blow up. She has been running very well. It's been in my car for 15,000 + so I felt is was time for a check up.
    Rear main had about .007
    The front and mid look like .0025 it had no shims in the front and Mid. It almost look like they were tight and I ran them in over the last 3 years. They have a checked look with very tiny cracks. I wish they were a little nicer I hope it last the summer. Taking some shim out of the rear main shot stop or slow down my leak.

20. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

so im about a month into the build of my first model A...1930 -- 5window. motor getting done as we speak, searching out for a T5 trans..just swapped out the rear springs for T's minus one springs (thanks for the help Elrod). i used a heavy duty paint my pop uses on all his T's to do up the frame. came out good...Body is perfect..like 99% perfect and all there (running it fenderless). I am sure i am going to leave it untouched paint wise for a while..83 year old patina looks cool. besides a little minor stuff, should be cruising down the road soon.
    Have to say the HAMB community is such a great reference...thank you all for the advise...i am positive i will need more. will update as we go.

Attached Files:

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Looks Good!!!

22. It looks good, Magnus! :-D
    As mentiomed here before, I tore out my faulty B, overhauled another engine, which turned out to be an AA, gave it a welded cast iron head, the Weber and a Scintilla, and it now resides in my tudor. [​IMG]
    Took it to South Island Rumble last weekend, where it glided sideways: http://dannerrsblog.blogspot.dk/2013/07/succes-sort-of.html
    Have been working on going to OSW, but deadlines at work and a limited bonus, plus expences for the engine build, has put me in doubt, whether I'm able to go. If I do, I'll try to catch you there, Magnus. :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  23. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

My T5 is hitting ups tomorrow...

24. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Did you buy a kit or are you going to fabricate your own?

25. I'm in ;)

26. TinFabricator

TinFabricator
    from Sweden

Thats realy a impressive engine build Magnus:)
    Did you drill the crank yourself? I have thought of doing it myself to.. but im to scared :eek: Do you know anyone that do that kind of work in Sweden? Or do you like to do another one..?;)

27. jim galli

jim galli

Great pics. I want the 1964 Shell Hill climb sign. I think I was there! Or was it '65, or '66

28. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Jim Galli....the motor we are using raced there in the late 50's and early 60's...my pops grew up going to them...now it's a smooth easy climb...kinda sucks

29. 97 to Winfield adapter??

Tried a search, to no avail. Anybody make a 3 bolt 97 to 4 bolt DD Winfield?

Or do I need to fab one up?

30. Time to put some HOT in this thing...rebuilt engine with Lightened flywheel and counterbalanced crank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a couple 97's and Mallory distributor, I pulled the trigger on a thomas 6.7:1 head, and I bought a repo thomas 2x2, but fear it may be a little much for this thing. I hope they were a good choice. I was going to buy a winfield but the instructions say they won't work with pistons above the deck. I'll buy a Reds header soon.

[​IMG]

Been tossing around the trans options. I'd like a t5, but the truth is I have the 39 trans already. I haven't found a t5 4x4 trans yet and I don't want to spend anymore than I have to out of pocket at this time. Looks like this is getting the nod for now. I'm going to clean it up and paint it this weekend.

[​IMG]