Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I know this post is almost two years old... but man it really moved me. I'm so glad you had that moment with your Dad, and thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us.

2. dstangl

dstangl
    from central MN

I get a lot of "what is it?" Or "where's the hood?" But my favorite is " you didn't actually drive that here did you?"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Exactly! Or, "Is it street legal?"

No. I have a lookout drive ahead spotting cops.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

My favorite so far is my 7-year-old niece trying to figure out how to use the CRANK to roll down a window. She said "Is this how windows worked in olden times?":eek:

5. jkeesey

jkeesey

Here's another addition. As I'm driving into my shop parking lot in my jalopy with my pup riding shotgun I see a bunch of cheerleaders waving. I hear one of them yell "I love your dog" :rolleyes: eh close enough I guess.

6. When people come over to my house, they ask "Is it for sale?" I throw out a ridiculous number. -on my '61 Cadillac De Ville

7. I had an O/T dark blue Dodge Magnum with tinted windows. We stopped at a garage sale and was told by a mom that her little boy thought it was a spy car.

Another time I was driving my '53 Chevy to work. I passed by a retirement home and there were people sitting on the front porch. As I passed by, a little old lady stood up and waved at me. I think about that every time I pass there.
    <a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/user/okbelair/media/53%20Chevy/2012%20pics/Picture004.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. wityler

wityler

This is a really cool thread. I have enjoyed reading these. Some made me laugh some made my eyes watery. Anyway, I just wanted to add that I just started my first build ('55 International R-110) two weeks ago and I've already met some really cool people and got some cool reactions to my old pickup.

Nothing extremely funny about this but I thought it was cool and just another great part of this hobby:
    I live in a rougher part of town on an old street with an alley and all the garages are in the alley. I've been doing tear down on my R-110 in my garage and I keep the door open for light and a breeze. An older, mid-sixties, black fella comes over and starts chatting me up and admiring my truck in it's current state (front clip / fenders / wheels off / engine half way off/ cab smells like mice piss). We end up talking and yuking it up for about 45 minutes. He's telling me stories about his old T-birds and his '67 Mustang. Just a cool guy and cool stories. Would have never had the experience without the truck. He also pointed me to a cool salvage yard not too far that he said has the running boards I've been searching for. Can't wait to get out there.

Another quick one (My first reaction): I car dollied the truck home behind my Tahoe from the farm I bought it from. My girlfirend was riding shotgun and my pop was in the back, they came to assist. We were riding up HWY 36 to Milwaukee, around dusk, When I see a '55 Bel-Air cruising up next to us and it's an old timer and his misses. The guy looks at me with and un-mistakeable look of "Good luck with that" all over his face. I just laughed and thought and went right back to my state of pure excitement.

9. wityler

wityler

That one made my day too.

10. fsae0607

fsae0607

So far my favorite reaction was two weeks ago when I was driving home from work on Saturday and it was 108° out. Some young kid in an riced-out Acura came up to the stoplight and said, "Hey man, nice truck! Does it have A/C?"

I said, "Thanks! No A/C, power steering, power windows or power brakes!"

He says, "Wow, still a cool truck!"

Heh, I got through to the ricer crowd! :rolleyes:

11. I was at the gas station and a guy walks up to me and says "cool car but wheres the rest of it?" I'm guessing it is the first fenderless rod he has seen. Made me chuckle.

12. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Buicks have a habit of making women do really cool things. :D

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This thread reminds me of all the people who are out there and have NO clue. I mean not even a hint. Not just my car, but all old cars. I hang out with a "bomb" style car club and we've had people come to our events with zero knowledge. It's like they have never seen a car older than 1980!:confused:

With all the crappy reality shows and just about every city having some kind of car show scene, they have never seen older cars. Hell, even standing at the check out counter in a grocery store, there's a magazine rack with an issue of "Ol' Skool Rods" sticking out.

I always wonder how it could be. Zero knowledge in a high tech world.

14. fsae0607

fsae0607

Dude, your sig says it all. I really love the scowls I get from "desperate housewives" type women in Mercedes' & BMW's when they get off my ass and speed around me because they got tired of smelling my unfiltered exhaust. Those chicks don't "get it"! :D:D:D

15. Gotta love the clueless masses. If it's happening outside the insulated cocoon of their climate controlled SUV...it doesn't exist. When I lived in Chicago, the club would caraven to car shows. We're talking about 10-12 hotrods and customs every time. Never ceased to amaze me how NOBODY even noticed us. You don't need to be into the car scene to NOTICE that something unusual is rolling by. How often do you see ANY car that doesn't look like a jelly bean...let alone a whole string of them?

RRanchero Rick likes this.
  16. DjNeil

DjNeil

I saw a car hit the back of another whilst watching my 51 Mercury going round a roundabout .
    Kinda took it as a compliment

17. Fenders

Fenders

I don't often notice or care who notices me or not... I am too busy watching out for inattentive or texting drivers, or looking three cars ahead to compensate for my soft drum brakes.... I'm not out there for them to notice me, I'm just out for a good drive in my rod.

But if the approaching driver throws out a thumbs up, I usually see it, acknowledge it, and appreciate it.

18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

best reaction i ever had is when Mike Goodman of Honest Charley ask me to start parking @ the Honest Charley traylor @ the auto fair in Charlotte n.c.been doin it for i guess 10 years or so. little kids reaction is priceless & i blow some peoples mind when i let them set in the coupe. proud to b a part of this hobby/sport.................

19. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

You nailed it on the head right there! I was sitting at a light not too long ago and this older lady with her granddaughter pulled up next to me, I glanced over and she smiled then I hear this little tiny voice say "nice truck". Totally made my day! Had to be the best compliment yet!

20. While filling my '66 Coupe Deville up at a gas station a guy walks up to me with his little boy and says, "That's a sweet '57 Chevy" I just said thanks man.

21. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I usually miss that, my passengers normally tell me that I got a wave or a thumbs up as they go by.

22. "Sir, this is a family establishment. Will you please leave!!!"

23. I picked up my kids from school for the first time in my 41 chevy. My 10 year old son sat in the front. As we passed a group of girls from his school my son leaned out the window and yelled "Yo yoo Yooo!" at the girls and then turned beet red.
    He was using my car as cred with the girls, I guess 10 year olds are not too different from most middle aged men haha.

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

That's great!! It's always great when there is a dude driving his moms car and the girl he is with is googling at you in the hot rod ..

25. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

We had a row of rods at a restaurant.A little kid asked his dad So is that what cars use to look like? dads reply yes but these are much nicer looking.These guys fixed them better than when new. I had a old farmer in a Kansas interstate truck stop tell me my Airflow is too low and you couldn't drive it around here like that.It's pretty much worthless here, I LOL and said don't worry , I was just passing through.

26. rld14

rld14

I've posted this before i think but, wtf...

I had a lady, in probably her mid 70s walk up to my 54 Ford and start looking it over. We get to talking, as ya do and her boyfriend drove one when she was in high school, she was class of 55. So as we keep talking she says "what the hell, I'm too old to be embarrassed any more (words to that effect), I lost my virginity in the back of a Ford like this!

Made my day :D

27. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I had a guy come up to me and ask " what year my model T was. I told him it was a 1928 model A. Then he told me they didn't make model A's in 1928:confused: Knowing you can't win an argument with an ignorant person,
    I told him it was a 1928 model T then :rolleyes:

28. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I was just cruising low and slow in the right lane of a 4 lane today and a guy in a Porsche 9 something something went by me and gave me a thumbs up.

Blue

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I went to a first time for me cruise nite..My shoebox is red primer and I took great pains to get the coats uniform...A guy that owns the cruise comes flying up to me on his scooter and asks, "what did you put in the primer?"..I replied, "thinner?"

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Sounds like my wife. I "convinced" her to go out in the Effie tonight because it was such a nice night out. We pull up to the restaurant and we haven't even gotten out if the truck and a hot 30 something says "beautiful truck!". My wife says "I don't get it". I say "I guess you never will...."