Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't get my car registered in RI.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orange crush, Jul 6, 2013.

1. I am trying to get my 1962 Fairlane registered The guy I bought it from is in Kansas and never registered it. The car hase't been registered since 1982. The DMV is looking for previous sales tax payment. before I can register it . Anyone from RI gone through this or have any Ideas? Carlg

2. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

Sounds like the state is not convinced that the guy who sold it to you actually owned it in the first place.

3. exshelby

exshelby

Does anybody have a registration from the car ever? Any year any name? If so make new paperwork , bill of sale, from whoever is on the old registration directly to you, cutting out everybody in the middle. If not you can always try the title company guys...google 'em... Broadway is one.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

If he gave you the title, and his name was or is on it then he actually owned it...

I would call the State Title agency, they are more kowledgable then local agency on a power trip. Simply ask them what are your next steps to get the title in your name.

Probably an inspection and a title search. Obviously it doesnyt take a fool to see how long the title has been in someones name. SO they know how long its been in the previous owners name, and its history.... Call the State

I know in Ohio, out of state vehicles need a State inspection at a designated State Highway post to get it registered in the State of Ohio. Any reciepts should be shown at that time, they are lookin for stolen parts

5. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

They want the revenue from all previous years registration tax in CO..

6. exshelby

exshelby

Every time a motor vehicle changes hand, sales tax must be paid whether its registered on the road or not.

This is why we have the forever popular 'open title' thing [skipping all the owners in the middle who never pay the tax] This fella has to go back and find somebody who actually paid sales tax, that would be the last registered owner. All that assumes there is no title on the car, [just a bill of sale] If it has a title and it's been assigned to someone already who never paid the tax. Then the TAX has to be paid in that fellas name and state or sometimes, you can get a notarized letter of correction saying that that sale was done in error and the actual owner is the fella in RI. Trouble is you have to the name on the face of the title do the notary work [or forge it] Can't speak for RI but Mass would accept that while New York would not. Every state is different.

[dealers can transfer title without paying tax]

7. ems customer service

ems customer service

out of state insepections can be done any bmv authorized inspection location.

all title agencies are authorized and many used car dealers are bmv inspections sites

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

don just ask the local agent, call the main bmv office in the state capital, they often have more info and are less likley to push you off.

9. All the answers can be found online. Least here in the great state it is.

10. oldolds

oldolds

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

dealers can transfer without paying, but so can we. But there is a limit. To many transfers in a time period, causes them to request a dealers document. Gifting and TOD do not require tax payment.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After looking at the Form that Rhode Island shows online http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/forms/registration/TR-1.pdf

I'd think that your best move is to go up the food chain as far as which office you to to. I'm lucky in that the owner of the license office I use is one of the sharpest individuals I have met when it comes to transferring titles and doing it right and getting it right. In years before that I took my titles to the county auditor's office to have them transferred rather than go to a private office.

Being as you probably have a shorter distance to drive to the main state office than I have to drive to work I'd take "ALL" of the paperwork needed to the state office and bypass the others.
    That should include the clear Kansas title signed by the seller. If they dated it then you may have a hassle with the taxes between that date and the current date and that may have been the issue.
    Insurance documentation that you bought insurance on it.

Documentation of what you paid for it if you have it. That could be a copy of the Ebay "You won" email showing the price if you got it off Ebay. Then you will have to pay RI sales tax on that amount most likely.

Photo (s) of the car when you bought it to show that it wasn't a 15,000+ antique/classic when you bought it. The frigging Antique car blue book kills us when we pay a few hundred dollars for a car and the book says it should be worth several thousand dollars.

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

That is correct, out by me its the State Highway patrol post on rt 422... It is also needed for a salvage title as well in Ohio. Specifically they are lookin for stolen parts and vehicle safety. Receipts for any parts are required.

Its kinda comical to watch the 2 girls crawl around lookin for the VIN on the frame, using mirrors, wire brushes ect. They put effort into it for sure.

14. That's just not true for all 50 states. Here in NY I can sell a HAMB car a thousand times if I want and they could care less as long as whoever does finally register it has the right paperwork and pays the sales tax on the most recent sale.

You have to do your homework before you make your state aware the car exists, because in some states it's easier to bring them a car you've simply "lost" the title on. When they haven't been registered in 40 or 50 years there's no computer record of it anywhere, so they can't prove different - unless, of course, it's on a hot sheet somewhere your state has access to.

It's even possible in this case it may be easier to tell them you bought it from the guy in Kansas and shipped it back to you. That would eliminate RI sales tax from the equation because until you bought it it wouldn't be sold in RI.

Bottom line is there must be some way to work the system to put the car on the road, without using a false registration or VIN. Have any buddies in New York? "sell" it to them and have them register it there, then after a few months "buy" it back.

15. I did buy the car from Kansas. The RI. DMV said that they still need proof of the sales tax being paid in Kansas. its harder to deal with this problem when I am 1600 miles away from the guy who sold me the car and, the paper trail. There no title on a car over 10yrs old in RI. and no vin inspection. I appreciate every ones help. Thanks Carlg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  16. Swifster

Swifster

Do you have a bill of sale?

17. Yes I have a bill of sale. Carl

18. can you just pay the r.i. sales tax on what you payepaid for the car and be done with it?

19. ems customer service

ems customer service

the bmv may have a great web site, but at times i will search the web site of the legislature. it has the exact law , sometimes the bmv or highway patrol will interpet the legislature they way they want to and taking a copy of the code written by the legislature will move you in the right direction

20. Bluedot

Bluedot

21. Why the hell does RI care if you paid sales tax to Kansas or not? I don't know how Kansas works, but if there's sales tax to pay, they collect when you title it.

I'd go to another DMV office, and do my homework online first to see what the actual story is.