Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tinted inside sun visors ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldgrezmonke, Jul 6, 2013.

1. I saw a car at a cruise a while back that had inside sun visors made with tinted see-through plastic . I have been working on making sun visors for my Falcon that fit close to the edges of the windshield and the mirror , meeting in the center and this seems like a good fit with my idea . The owner of the car seemed neutral about them [in a circa '50 Ford with a chopped top so I guess they are seldom used] and had bought the car with them already there so he had no details . Has anyone on here done this or know someone who did ? Opinions ? I did a search here and came up empty . I have seen something like this on school buses and there is a place near me that has salvage buses where I might be able to get something to adapt . I found information elsewhere that airplanes also use see-through tinted inside visors so this is not too unusual .

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

Just get you some tinted plexiglass and make your own

3. The RV stores have them. I just threw a set away. Couldn't give them away.

4. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

5. i have amber tinted see through sun visors in my `36......got them from O'Reillys

6. randingo8

randingo8
    Member Emeritus

Hey oldgrezmonke, What color are you looking for? I have a Green set of old NOS new in the box somewhere around here. Let me know if you are interested in them. I can dig them out.

See Ya!
    Randy

7. I see I may need to give more information . I am not talking about the small clip-on accessories but the main sun visors . My design works out to about 25" x 5" each visor so those are too small to adapt from and I've not seen any of those dark enough anyway . I may be in untested water here . I'm not worried about making these just interested if others have tried this and whether or not they liked it .
    325w , Just to get an idea , how big were those RV visors ? That might be another source for something to adapt from if I could find a place with salvage RVs .
    randingo8 , if you remember , what size [I would need min. 25"x5" each to adapt from] , how dark and how much ?

8. randingo8

randingo8
    Member Emeritus

Hey oldgrezmonke, Let me dig them out over the next couple of days. I'll then measure and take pics of them. I remember them being long, like for a late 50's or an early 60's car. I found them years ago at a swap meet and never used them. I won't want much for them. Let me find them and go from there.

See Ya!

9. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Can't think of the company name. But there is a company out Oregon that makes aviation ones. I think it name is Rosenall but not aure

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never thought of that before but that might work in my chopped pickup where regular sun visors are useless because they cover up too much windshield.

11. I had a pair of smoke grey ones in a stude pick-up. I took them out and tossed them because being dark you would get reflections from behind you and it was vary distracting.
    I thought it was a great idea until I tried it.

12. When I did an internet search , aviation suppliers came up . There were 2 problems , 1. the ones that gave a size were too small and 2. the prices were too high [100s of $$$] because of all sorts of standards and tests that had to be met and passed even for the universal fit ones for the Experimental planes .

There we go , that's the kind of info I wanted . Were these reflections most bothersome in daytime or after dark ? Perhaps I would need to find a material with a low glare surface or use some kind of coating .

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you tip them at an angle the reflections should not be noticeable.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had them on my '57 Chev back in the late 60's. They were from JC Whitney back then.