Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 Olds rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doubledawg, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Can anyone provide me with a good picture of the drum brakes on a 58 Olds rear end? My project car came with the 58 olds diff already mounted but with no brakes on it at all. Here are some pics of the diff as it showed up in my yard. a picture from an old service manual or something would be great. I've ordered up a bunch of parts but I don't know for sure that I ordered everything thats missing. All that came with it was the backing plates.

Attached Files:

2. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Id like to know also.Got one buried in my trailer

3. Talk to Brad and Sue at Fabcraft 800-208-8242 They are very good people,very knowledgeable and WILL help!!! They specialize in these rearends! Tell'em Redline sent ya! Let me know how it turns out! R~R

Attached Files:

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Your local library should have at least a few MOTOR'S or CHILTON'S manuals, or look up "brake diagram" on the web. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. Thanks Butch. I never even thought of checking the library. when I googled brake diagram 58 olds it brings up this very thread. lol. But for now, I'm off to the library,

thanks again
    Darren

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I have a set of built up brake drums for the '58 Olds rear axle I have in the barn. I'll check and post pics this afternoon, if it's still there.

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i always use 70's - 80's chevy 1/2 ton stuff---backing plates and all...

8. Here's a couple of pictures out of an old Motor's Manual. The pictures were in the Olds section but they look pretty generic to me. Anyway the Olds brakes are just normal Bendix type brakes. The rear brake picture is '59 up self adjusting type and the other is manual adjusting. Should give you a good idea on how either style goes together. Just remember the primary (short) shoes goes to the front.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a pic of the backing plate assemblies that came with my axle. Doesn't look like they're complete (the guy I got it from was using the axle for drag racing), but I'll post the pic in any event.

[​IMG]

10. vetrod62

vetrod62

I do not know what those backing plates are off, but they are not Olds/Pont. They look like Ford. See page 4 for flange dimentions

http://www.strangeengineering.net/

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're absolutely correct - my bad.......I should have checked them before posting. I have no idea what they are. They don't show up on the Strange chart.

Mounting bolt center-to-center distance is 3-1/4" across and 4-1/4 vertical. Nowhere near any Fords I'm familiar with. I know I got them with my Olds axle, but never tried to install them.
    Sorry for my screw-up. I assumed.......:eek:

12. pila38

pila38

Pirated these from a "for sale" ad here on the hamb as a reference, there is also a pic in Fabcraft's book on 57-64 rears. Can't scan it though, no scanner to use. Hope these help some, they are missing a piece or two.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      76.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
  13. Those look like Chevy Huck brakes

14. Deuces

Deuces

What's a huck brake???

15. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Huck brakes were the style chevy used before Bendix. They changed around 1952-1953.

The pic of the brakes in question look to have heavy duty backing plates which used a different drum. The drums had a bell shape on the inside. I assume they would have been used on ambulances and such.
    I think there is a fairly simple way to swap 9in Ford Big bearing brakes, backing plate and all to the olds/pontiac flanges if need be. If I recall correctly it is simple such as redrilling two holes in each backing plate as two already match up. This would give you the 11x2 set up or others as needed.

16. These aren't as purdy as Pila38's, but they're picked fresh from the tree, if you will.

Attached Files: