Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeep tube axle at the salt flats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willymakeit, Jul 3, 2013.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

There were also 2WD Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers with the same axle.

Rich

2. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  3. mramc1

mramc1

I built my Model A truck with a Comanche 2WD axle back in '06. Over 18K trouble free miles. Not for everyone and not traditional, but heavy duty, easily modified, and modern brakes. Basically a complete front end for $75 from the junkyard.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that those two wheel drive Jeeps used a lot of the same pieces that the 4 wheel drive rigs did as far as spindles, hubs, rotors and calipers. It was a cheap easy way to have two wheel drive rigs without having to reengineering the whole suspension system.

Where I live I don't think you could sell a Jeep that wasn't four wheel drive except to maybe some of the low rider brigade who might want one.

Still for certain land speed cars they are probably comparatively inexpensive and once you cut the scabs off it you have a heavy duty tube axle to work with along with easy parts availability.

5. I did this with a Dane 60 out of a 97 Dodge 1 ton dually for my cab-over project. Might sound crazy but I bought the axle as part of a pair and didn't have to fool around looking for something that matched the hubs on the Dana 80 I used in back. I found a tube that Pressed over the axle tubes, lined every thing up pressed it together and put 8 1" plug welds on each end.

6. From what I remember seeing (geez that was over20 years ago) it did look like the same knuckles, just with one long tube in place of the center chunk and 2 axle tubes. Probably could use the same fixtures at the factory to build them.

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

It looks like they have parts in common with the 4X4 front axle version.

Its heavy, awkward, and bulky looking.

So unless you use it as a driven axle, it doesn't make much sense to me to use one.

There are many better looking and performing ( unsprung weight, and aero in case of a fenderless car...) alternatives out there.

More Traditional ones too...

But you are right.

Lets not point out the obvious, and lets congratulate the people that use these on their cheap junkyard finds.

Just so we don't seem to be too negative...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  8. 46stude

46stude

Not for everyone, but I think they could be made to look presentable on the right car. I grabbed one a while back... y'know, just in case. :cool:

Attached Files:

9. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Does look a little big, but I like it alot! good gasser option it would seem to me. Not horible looking either. Good job
    Im sure weight could be made up elseware, or use the save cash on more speed parts!
    fast can be ugly,but no one will see it from 3rd gear.

my buddy has a 2wd cherokee here, 4.0l 5speed, 100hp shot of nitrous :D
    It cleans up at the street races here, Import killer!. get the crazyest looks sluggin left and right with a basicly stock jeep xj. Things got a reputaion.