Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AD Truck Parts Hauler build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesdiecast, Jul 5, 2013.

1. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

[​IMG]
    4th of July delivery for me!

I actually got to drive both trucks! No brakes and push power only... But they steer nice and rolled down the hill and into my driveway!

Then I had to unload all the parts and take a short inventory...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that I know what I have for parts, it is time to start making some of them independent from the parts truck....(July 4th play)

I will be pulling the box and passenger running board as well. I also pulled all the garnish moldings, and will try and may try to get the guages out. The old straight 6 from the keeper truck will get pulled and then the parts I am not using will go to the scrap guy who hauled it for me as payment for hauling them.

2. ChefMike

ChefMike

What a great project Best of Luck !

3. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

I had to take some pics out of the first post, here are the rest of the 4th of July set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I am keeping one of the chevy hoods, but will need to find someone who can swap me a gmc hood. Also keeping the gas tank, but will not be using it, will sell/trade to someone here if interested. And now I head off to work so I can have funds to build this thing!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. 41 C28

41 C28

They look good where did you find them?

5. ...you got yerself a nice project, that stuff don't look too bad for this area, you got 2 three/quarter tonners; you can shorten em to 1/2 ton size if you want.If you need any help/advise, shoot me a PM.
    ...for inspiration,
    I started with this:
    [​IMG]
    and this:
    [​IMG]
    and so far got this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Well you're gonna burn in Hell for sure now! Building a truck to be a truck?? :eek: whats next having a truck ride like a uhmm truck??:D
    I'm building a 53 F100 to be a truck (oh the horror!) nothing pretty just good enough to throw junk in the back & be a daily driver,
    I wanna see how this turns out,there's plenty of A.D's being build now.~Chuck

7. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Found em on craigslist about 80 miles from me just inside Minnesota, 41C28. I may be looking for a trailer like the one you found rusty1. My box is so beat up I decided to let it go for scrap, after taking lots of measurements in case I have to build my own!

As for burning in hell.... Yeah I can handle that I guess... After all this will be getting a 350/350 combo, which will give me more hell burns around here! Although I do know where there are a couple of 440/727 combo's sitting around. I think I can score a 383 cheap too... But I already have the 350, and I am a cheap S.O.B.

Now for a quick update before I go back to work this afternoon. I am left with a five window cab still on the 3/4 ton chassis. I have a rough pair of rear fenders, a drivers side running board, good front fenders and a pair of gmc grill surrounds. I have a chevy hood that does not fit the gmc. I have an original gas tank in good shape. I have an ok front bumper. About all I could save from the green truck is most of the garnish moldings and the passenger door.

That means I have a passenger door with vent window and a rough drivers door with one piece glass.

Tomorrow I will move the five window keeper into the garage(no help today) and pull the front clip and the engine. Then I have to switch them around again to drop the engine in the scrap truck and call my hauler to come get his payment! After that the keeper goes back in and cab will come off so I can get the chassis ready.

This brings up some questions... I know I can get a disc brake kit for the front, but is there anything cheaper than the SSBC kit that summit sells? I want to be safe hauling stuff, and for me that means disc brakes because of all the idiots on the road. I want to find a brake kit first, so I can then get a rearend with the same bolt pattern.

Anyone have a gmc hood they want to part with, or maybe trade for a good chevy hood? I will be making myself a list of parts needed over the next week so I can start looking at the iola old car show in Iola, WI. Any of you hambers gonna be there?

8. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

9. sweet score! I too have a 3/4 ton 50 chevy. I like the long bed. go join the AD chevy group. theres a lot of good info on here. lots of parts websites too.

10. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

ok, another update today...

[​IMG]
    Core support pic so I know how it goes back together in a couple years :)

And front clip gone:
    [​IMG]

Little bit of cancer hiding behind the drivers fender:
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow the engine comes out, and hopefully start on pulling the cab.

11. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

I'm fairly new to the HAMB... Where do I find this AD Chevy group?

12. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great project! Love those trucks!

13. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

FYI- 3/4 ton uses different spindles than 1/2 tons- brake kits for 1/2 tons do not fit. The
    cheapest way to get disc brakes on it would be to swap in a 1/2 ton axle, they use the same springs so it is a bolt in, speedway kit for the discs, the loss in capacity would
    be minimal. As far as I know no one is making a kit for 3/4 ton spindles. If you have
    a later axle the bendix design brakes were a big improvement over the earlier huck design. I believe the changeover was about 53. If you have good drums from the early
    ones they are worth money to restorers as they are not available new.

15. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Thanks!

Thanks for the info... I would like to add though that Summit Racing Equipment does have a kit listed for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. It is a Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC) setup, and it is not cheap. Check it out here.

16. Bendix style brakes started in 51,...cars & trucks.

17. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

How do I tell what style brakes are on it? Anyone have pics of the different styles?

18. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Another great project to follow, I miss the early '55 Chevy I had back in the 1970's. Bob

20. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Thanks! I'll try to figure out what ones I have eventually!

Now for a quick update (sorry for the bad pics, damned sunlight pouring in the garage from everywhere!)

A pic of the starter switch mechanism.
    [​IMG]
    I want to keep a floor starter button, so this is just to see what GMC started with. I will most likely go with the original steel button, but mount it to an electrical switch right under the floor.

And here is what a laid back couple of hours in the freaking humidity gets you:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yep, you got it... Independence! only a couple days late, but the old crap has become independent from it's old home!

And now, there is a car show about 20 miles from here, so i'll get back at the truck later!

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I would check with ssb on the summit kit- the 3600 and the 3100 series are very different
    spindles and would not be the same kit. Bendix brakes started a little later on the 3/4 ton trucks than the 1/2 ton trucks. There are no tapered bearings made that fit the stock
    spindles on the 3/4 tons that I have been able to find, nor has anyone on any other site
    I have found. Some have adapted later 3/4 rotors to the stock hubs using original style
    roller bearings, then making their own cailiper bracket. Scarebird was working on a kit
    but I have not heard anymore from them if they ever finished it- might me worth a call
    or e-mail.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks interesting. I've done that more than once when I built a rig that ended up more like an automotive stew with all the mix and match parts involved. If the green cab is scrap I'd save the roof for trading material if it is one of the few good things left as someone will need it to chop a top or fix a top and might offer up something good for it. If you have a place to store it, trading material is trading material.

23. looks like youre tearin into this hardcore
    heres a good parts website and on the right side of the page there is a forum. go check out the parts and forum
    http://www.classicparts.com/

24. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

That is some good information. I probably won't call them, as that is way more than I want to pay. If there is nothing cheap I may just go with a volare ifs :) Just need a better welder...The one I have can't even burn through sheet metal :(

If I had a place to store it i'd keep the whole extra truck, but I have no place to store it and no funds in the project stash to pay for having them brought to me. That is why the extra has to go :(

Thanks for the link! And yes, I am trying to go like a madman, when I can. Starting a new fulltime job in a week, and going to part time on my current job, so will only have weekends to work on it very soon. I am hoping to have a drivable vehicle within a year... Then I can start looking for a car for my dream build (Model A Tudor Sedan), and be able to haul it home myself with this!

25. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

The wife wanted to go to the store, so while I was waiting I picked up a pen and did a little doodle on an envelope that was on my desk... 30 seconds of work proves i'm no Chip Foose!
    [​IMG]

But I figure I can copy it and try out color combos :)

26. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Ok, a little more tear down today... But it is too freaking hot in my garage..

[​IMG]
    Cut a bit of metal out of the scrap pile...
    [​IMG]

Because this doesn't look right:
    [​IMG]

But this should make it better:

[​IMG]
    That is after I get a better welder and learn how to use it!

Then I got a visit from this guy:
    [​IMG]

Then with parts from both trucks I decided I had a complete seat:
    [​IMG]
    The back spring section is bent on the bottom, but I think I can handle fixing that, unless someone else needs a decent seat to fix up so I can get modern buckets :)

Pedals and most of the wiring gone:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side kick panel area is mostly cut out from a previous owner:
    [​IMG]

Drivers side is where most of my work will have to be:
    [​IMG]

And I thought I was in Wisconsin and that I was a cheesehead... I was not expecting swiss cheese though:
    [​IMG]
    It is actually not bad in my opinion!

If it cools down any today I will go back out and try to get the steering wheel out of my way, then cab mounts and she will be ready for lift off. Anyone close to me and want to come help? :confused:

27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Volare parts are getting rare and costly- if your looking for cheap go with the 1/2 ton axle
    swap- put want to buy add on craigslist and you can get them from guys putting in mustang two front ends for 100 or less- the speedway kit is then a bolt on for low$$$.
    If you don't mind the original ride height the mid to late 70's truck front end is another
    option, though it looks a little wide.

28. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

I got the steering wheel off with a few blows to the backside... The bolt circle in the wheel was too narrow for my puller!
    [​IMG]

I also found a little more work for myself when I was trying to locate the cab mounts. It seems someone welded a piece of sheet metal over the passenger side front mount! The nut came off the bottom in spite of that, so all is good for now!

So can anyone tell me if the steering column comes off from the box at all? Or do I really have to lift the cab over the column? Anyhow, as soon as I figure out how to lift it, or get some help, it is ready to come over the column...

29. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Looks like you got the front fenders off?

I was able to removing the steering box and column as an assembly after unbolting it from the frame and link with the front fender off.

Then lifted the cab off later.

30. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

I thought of doing that, but I like being able to turn the steering wheel when i'm moving the chassis around. I suppose I could bolt it back up after the body is out of the way....