Register now to get rid of these ads!

Decent Rattle Bomb Brand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercharged, Jul 4, 2013.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

2. 2manydoors

2manydoors
    from indiana

Seems to me rustoleum is better paint and the krylon is thinner but sprays better.I like the vht epoxy satin black really well.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Smooth move Stan....;)
    I do the same thing... Got mine in a Cheese Wiz jar... :D:eek:

4. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

X2 on the rustoleum 2x

5. wickedjeff

wickedjeff

i'm an artist and a painter as well,,,(depending on the quality you're looking for) rcans, well, they are inferior to catalyzed paints,,,and depending on the environment that they are exposed to , will or won't last. with that being said,,,if you are looking to use rcans,,,(for color or primers) i'd suggest bumping up a knotch and going to your local auto paint supplier, and purchasing pumped cans, or 2 parts cans for clear, jambing clears, they're are several brands that make 2k style pumped cans (eastwood )) even has blacks,and clears that are catalyzed in spray cans ......i'd suggest these over the rustoleum,and krylon, jmo

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I turn them upside down to clear the nozzle, but I also wipe the nozzle after that. Sometimes the residue will run down and cover the orifice if you don't wipe them too.

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep same here.............................

Attached Files:

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

Summit racing has duplicolor black lacquer on sale now. $5 a can compared to the normal $8. I order 7 satin and 7 gloss to replenish my shop stock.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Most of the rattle can primers on the market are lacquer-based, and yes, they can lift if you're top-coating them with an aggressive catalyzed enamel or polyurethane. Standard rule of thumb: Never prep and prime a car with rattle can primer and top coat it with a catalyzed paint. Spend the extra bucks and prime it with a compatible product.

Paint store pump cans are awesome, and they are (to me) worth the extra money. The difference in appearance and longevity between a hardware store rattle can and a paint store pump can is amazing. Face it, catalyzed paints are far more durable and you can clean the surface with mild solvent if needed. Don't try that with rattle can paint. Even a mild solvent like mineral spirits will wipe it clean off.

10. wickedjeff

wickedjeff

no doubt flat,,,,by the way , your threads are completely awesome.....(bowing down as not to be worthy) i look forward to seeing the 57 done......as well, i like looking at it!

11. Jeff-
    Thanks, dude!
    I'll be back on the '55 as soon as I finish my '64 shop truck. I'm really excited to get back on the old beast again. The time away from it has been good, but it's time to get back on it. I've got a lot of new ideas I'm itching to try.

By the way, I dig your avitar. Your truck sits bitchin'!

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Someone on the marble thread said you can recharge a rattle can with compressed air. I tried it on a can of WD40 and it worked.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

Cheap gold and silver seems to be the favorite among huffers.

14. Gold and silver metallics are the champagne of spray paint. Only the classiest of huffers use the "top shelf" stuff like that.

15. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

One of the best rattle can companies going----I had a Wildberry '80 El Camino---did some touchup work with a Duplicolor rattlecan and you couldn't tell it. Rustoleum is good stuff too.

16. I agree.
    I had touch up paint mixed at Sherwin Willimas and loaded into rattle cans a few years ago - that was the only spray paint/cans that have ever ben trouble free. They exactly matched the 50 year old paint (took then the gas lid) and the can delivered a perfect spray pattern.