Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Martin Ford´32 5 Window Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmfcracing, Aug 29, 2011.

1. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Thanks guys, there is some things needed to be change. When I first tested the sofa before it went to the interior guy I didnt had the roofwood and the rear window wood installed.
    The rear window wood that drops down a lot makes it forced to have the sofa 3" forward therefor I skip the possibility to roll down the window and will cut of the lower wood.
    Im 6.2 and I rather sit good then having an open rear window.

I will also remove the seatslides to get it down closer to the floor.
    Cheers

2. ThiBuilder

ThiBuilder

Wow, a leather seat to top it all off... :eek: That is just too nice. I have to say that your style is right on the money.:cool:

I'd have to agree with you on the rear window... when over 50% of the glass already opens in some form or another, I doubt air circulation would be an issue.;) You might be able to gain an inch by replacing the wood front with a sheet metal one though, but for the work and the space you gain, it may not be worth it. Keep on rollin'.:cool:

3. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Thanks ThiBuilder.
    Testfitted the dash today :)
    [​IMG]

4. The dash looks awesome!!!

5. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Lookin good ,Martin:cool::D

7. ThiBuilder

ThiBuilder

Spectacular... Love how the lines just flow. The '40 wheel also works quite well with the dash, like they came from the factory that way.:)

A question: How do you plan on accessing the lever for the cowl vent with the center waterfall and side panels installed?

Keep on rollin'! :cool:

8. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Thans for Cheering me fellas :)

The mounting place for the vent-arm has originally a offset to the left so I just need to make a 1.5" offset bent on the arm to have it comming down on the left hand side of the center-fall.
    I assume it might get a little tricky to reach. Time will tell ;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Somehow I belive that I read or heard that United Pacific is in the prosess of making reproduction of the roof tack strip for the 5W.
    Anyone know if I heard right and if so, when will it be out on the market ?

10. Following your work has been nothing short of inspirational. Thank you for posting.

11. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Martin Have not heard anything about the tack strip.

Mike

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking fantastic Martin! So, seat won't move . . . cool.

"Hey man, I can't reach the pedals!"

"Oh too bad, guess I'll have to drive." :D

13. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

I see those roof tackstrips are selling for $1000 to 1700 (Ford Barn), that's a little steep don't ya think ?

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always look forward to updates from this build! Looks great!

15. GregF

GregF

I bought the strips from Brookeville for my 3 window from Brookeville because of time contraints. I would be willing to bet that UAP will bring them out in the future because they seem to be making the other parts to complete the 5 window body.

I would buy the raw material from Mac's or Lebaron Bonney and make a form and bend them: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-ford-mercury-top-deck-moulding-aluminum-72quot-ford-a38465/camid/F30/
    They also sell the rubber needed to fill the groove.

You would need to make a form. I think it would not have to be a "3 dimensional" form as a replica of the roof a flat form to make the four corner curves would be all that is required. The strips are soft enough that they would follow the gentle curves of the roof. I have heard it is best to heat the material and pull it while forming. It also may be advisable to fill the groove with wire or something to prevent the molding from collapsing while forming it.

Looking back I wish I would have bought a few strips and gave it a try. The time constraint I thought I was under went totally out the window.

The project looks great! :)

16. I sold a very nice original tackstrip set (4 pieces if I recall correctly) from a '32 Fordor for $450 about 2 years ago. I'm sure you could cut sedan tackstrips down to fit a coupe if you could find a donor.

Does anyone know if '33/'34 tackstrips would interchange, i.e. do they have the same profile as a '32 and would the corners have similar or the exact same radius? If so, I may have an original '34 sedan tackstrip available soon.

Steve

17. GregF

GregF

18. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Thanks for the input guys, I talked with swedish United Pacific dealer and he had been told from them that the tack strip is in production and should be on the market pretty soon.

19. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Working on the electrical and other things to get it running.
    Not much to post at the moment.
    [​IMG]

20. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

I found a Turn Signal Switch that was clean and simple that I liked but it was made for a bigger diameter column then the 1.5" Limeworks column that I have.
    Made a split sleve for it and also drilled the column to the cables on the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. brady1929

brady1929

Great Job Martin

22. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Awesome looking switch. Great stuff as usual .:cool::D

23. Wow! What a totally awesome 5W and a fantastic build thread to boot! I can't believe I missed seeing this until now. I love Deuce coupes, especially 5W's!!

24. reefer

reefer

What a neat idea to mount the switch....so simple .......I would never have thought of doing it.
    It's not just the great workmanship we see here, it is the great ideas that go with it that makes the difference........the old adage always works "keep it simple"...... Really great work Martin.

25. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Great job on the switch mount. Looks like it grew there. (as was the whole idea, I'm sure).

26. Is the turn signal switch from a VW?

27. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Glad you liked it guys, in the end the column and switch will be painted to get a more "vintage" look.
    The switch is a new product sold by socal sacramento.

Instead of being in the garage today I borrowed my friends Challenger and drowe it to a car show 160 miles away It was a Blast even do it wasn't hamb friendly :)

[​IMG]

28. ThiBuilder

ThiBuilder

That Challenger is only just slightly nice... ;) In all seriousness though, kudos to your friend on his building skills.

Back to your hotrod... I got to hand it to you, it looks amazing seeing it all come together. The colors and various component styles compliment each other. Great thinking on using a bushing to fit the signal switch too! I never would have thought of that. Plus the round collar adds some flair to the mount. As always, awesome job and keep on rollin'.:cool:

29. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

Martin, you must have some really good friends!! That is one sweet challenger but I like your 5 window better. That's just more my style.

30. ricco

ricco

I'm addicted to this build thread....and I need a fix!!! Awesome car and skill.