Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Tires/Wheels on my '63 Biscayne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks to many friends both here on the HAMB and others, I finally made the decision, and changed the wheels/tires on my '63 Biscayne.
    I built this totally to be a "Plain Jane" minimalist car and have been very pleased with it...
    However, recently I starting posting questions about chrome wheels, radials and other combos...as I just kinda wanted to try something else, and intended on keeping the original reversed rims, bias tires and dog dish hub caps so I could switch back and forth depending on my mood.....:rolleyes:
    As I stated, lots of help and ideas...
    Here are before and after pictures of what I wound up with:
    Back wheels are Crestline Mark 2's with a deeper offset.
    Front wheels are Ansens.
    Both sets came out of a barn, and now have many many hours of clean up, as well as drilling out the Crestline wheels to fit the standard 11/16" holes. (They originally came with smaller holes...:eek:)
    I have been driving it for two days now with the radials and cannot believe the difference in handling...
    I know some of the old die hards will scold me, but it rides and handles so much better now that I am planning on selling the old wheels, tires, and dog dish hub caps..
    Love to experiment around like this, and as many of you already know I am retired so work on a very small budget to build my stuff, so really appreciate when I can make a change like this by being patient and finding good deals ....
    Here are the before and after pictures:

Attached Files:

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i like them. much better looking,

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Looks great! I'm will you on the radials. If my bias plies weren't so new, I'd put radials on it now.

5. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

Interesting front end, actually had to look twice. Knew something wasn't quite right but it goes together pretty good and have never seen that combination before.

In the end though, who cares what others think. Our cars are an extension of ourselves and it's nice to get the occasional compliment and good job it's no fun having our rides if we aren't content with what we've done. It's a never ending progression trying new things and maybe down the road you'll wish you had those wheels back.

Love those old heavy Chevies, didn't appreciate them as much back in the day but they have great timeless lines that always look good.

Topstrap