Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks HAMB - A Rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LittleBritishCar, Jul 4, 2013.

1. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

My dad had an early fifties five window Chevy pickup when I was a little kid. It was burgundy with chrome mag wheels and a home made wood camper shell that he made with plywood and 2x4s! It was his pride and joy until he got into a MAJOR accident in 1974 and totaled it. He was absolutely devastated because he loved that truck. When he passed away a few years ago I started thinking about how proud he was of that truck and how much fun we used to have going camping and taking road trips in it. Although I have been a British car guy my entire life with absolutely no interest in American cars, nostalgia brought me to the HAMB forum. I have slowly found myself losing interest in my MGs and staying up at night dreaming about trucks! I have actually put my pride and joy 1966 MG 1100 and my MGB V6 project on the market in hopes of finding an early 50s F1 or F100. Not a Chevy but I am sure my dad would approve! Thanks for letting me rant.

MY CURRENT CAR
    [​IMG]

AND MY DREAM CAR
    [​IMG]

2. voodoo1

voodoo1

That isn't a Rant. That's your dream! Live it! Mike

3. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

4. modeleh

modeleh

I guess it would be a pretty boring world if everybody liked the same things, but there were so many cool vehicles built in the USA and Canada, pre '65, there's just not enough time in your life to waste it on anything else.:D

5. That's a cool little MG.....

Very Basil Fawlty

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

The F1 is a better Napa ride. But, that red car (MG?) would make a sweet little SF area retro urban car for somebody. Looks like it is in great shape. How much are you asking for it?

Try to branch out beyond flat black and red wheels though when you do get one.

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

I had that exact same car in the Austin version.

Same color, even.

And that's why I think he is making the right choice...:D

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

I gota agree! Going from a landcrab to an F1 is derinitely a step in the right direction...hell its 4 or 5 steps !! :D

9. mrdodge

mrdodge

Hydrolastically speaking !!!!:eek:

10. Rem

Rem

Last MG 1100 (or 1300?) I saw was in a scrapyard a few years ago. Most of it had been stripped but I had a nice chrome handbrake lever out of it :)

It would be great to have one that hadn't dissolved in the rain, to use as a summer daily, but I would still rather have an F1.

11. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

I am asking $6,500 OBO for the 1100. I am surprised that so many people here know what it is because I rarely meet anybody that has a clue in person. Most people think it is a Fiat. Well, I should say that most people here in BMW/Mercedes/Lexus proletarian hell think it is just an old piece of shit but people who sort of know cars think it is a Fiat which is a good guess because the body was designed by the Italians.

I hope to find a truck with old faded paint so I can leave it original. I love that look.

12. a bloke

a bloke

Lol, I have many happy memories of tearing it up in mum's 1100 as a teenager.

13. stimpy

stimpy

nothing wrong with a hot rodded MG either , I used to make the MG people sick in my younger days ( drove it to college and back for 2 years at UM ) , Had a 62 "B" thats the person I bought it off of shoehorned in a 327 and power glide , thing was fast if you could get the wheels to hook up or not fold ( damn wire spokes) fun little car , person I sold it to wrecked it when it got wet out .

14. elba

elba

I thin that the MG TF is one of the best looking sports cars ever made.
    You will enjoy your future truck.

15. Who wouldn't mind owning one of these? HRP

[​IMG]

16. khead47

khead47

Have only bought two NEW cars in my life. One was a 1970 Austin America. Loved it.

17. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

<---- and just what's wrong with flat paint and red wheels? (it's a rhetorical question) :D

18. dad-bud

dad-bud

First, ............ where's the rant - I got myself all ready and rarin' to go with a good old bitchin' session to have a good laugh at, and all Little British wanted to do was tell us he's finally over his MG's. So, that'd be a RANT-FAIL then.
    Second, good idea on the F1 / F100.
    Good luck with ditchin' your Fiat, sorry, MG
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

19. pumpman

pumpman

Welcome to the dark side.

20. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

My dad has a 49 f 1 that has been sitting in his shed for 35 years. Complete and untouched and 95% rust free. I have been trying to get it for the last 5 years with no luck. I will have to wait until he is gone. Them trucks are nice.

21. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Reminds me of my first girl friends Sunbeam IMP. Rear seat was pretty hard from what I think I remember.

22. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

Well I will probably keep the MGB that I have been building because it is so hard to sell a project. It is getting a Chevy Camaro V6 and a T5 transmission along with SW gauges, Coker tires, and Painless wiring. And it will probably be flat black with a chopped and tilted windshield! :) But I want a truck!

23. D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
    from SD

I had a "B" GT, lots of grins.

Good luck with your quest.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Never cared for British cars or European for that matter. They always seem to leak oil and Lucas invented darkness. However, their designs were top notch, but for me, dependability superceded everything else. Love the truck.

25. I'm English, hence the Fawlty Towers reference....

26. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

X2
    Maybe it's the skinny tall wire wheels, but love those cars. Too bad the garage is too small.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you keep the MG you could put it in the back of the truck when you go to the City. I bought a spare chassis for my Bantam and hauled it home in my VW, which I'm pretty sure will fit in my long bed Dodge for a triple decker.

Attached Files:

28. Weasel

Weasel

I put a lot of trouble free miles on my Mum's Wolseley 1100 but for years I have had and still have American hot rods. For the past couple of years however I have been getting the bug to hot rod a 1930s through early 1960s Jag or Daimler while keeping it all Brit - so no Small Boring Chevy. I am already going all Jag running gear on my next American hot rod rebuild....

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I wish I had the chance to buy back my old MG 1100.

30. I worked in British car dealerships in the 70s. The Austin America was one of the worst cars ever sold in this country. The four speed car wasn't half bad, but the automatic was a nightmare. Just when we thought things couldn't get worse, BL gave us the Austin Marina. I think the blokes at corporate said, "I say, old chaps, Let's take all of our worst components and build a new motorcar." It wasn't until the Yugo, that a bigger POS was built