Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldgrezmonke, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Has anyone used this product ? If so , opinions ? I need to change the fabric on my bucket seats from blue to gray . The upholstery is in good shape , just the wrong color . I cannot find slip-on covers in fabric that fit and look good [the seats have a unique shape] and upholstery shop prices are beyond my means .

2. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

My friend has used it before on seats an a headliner, seems to work good an covers well.

3. henryj429

henryj429

Stuff works pretty good, but it does wear off. It is great for trim and moldings, but I wouldn't use it on a seat, armrest or anything that gets a lot of wear.

4. It works pretty good just follow the instructions verbatim,I've had success in the past using Mar-Hyde which was a predecessor to the Dupli-Color brand. HRP

5. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Hey, I have a few things that should help a lot for a quality job:

1. Take it all out of the car if you can
    2. You need to clean with 409 or purple power or aluminum wheel cleaner like eagle 1
    These get the silicone, baby oil, and body sweat off .

3. Flood all the cleaner off with water hose
    4. Do 2 and 3 over after it dries
    5. You need to find a pretreat product . Most of the time it is called vinyl prep. There is a good SEM brand product or you should be able to get an aresol prep where you got the dye.
    6. Most of the dye a are laquer, you can prep with laquer thinner or acetone, be careful that stuff is " hot" on plastics, only dampen your wipe down rag

7. Now you are ready to dye, color as needed with your choice of color.

You can also use regular laquer products if you flatten them. You can also use the base only of base/clear paint systems but it doesn't hold up good on wear surfaces. Dashes, garnish, and trims it works pretty well.

@@@@
    if you prep correctly as above, you will almost never get the dye off. With at said, make sure you get the color right thefirst time.

6. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

clean the vinyl with enamel reducer . did the arm rests on my bike still looked like new when i sold it over ten years later .

7. Do I need the above on fabric ? I'm not doing the trim . Cleaning it first is probably a good idea .

8. clean it with good old ammonia cleans awesome doesn't leave residue

9. repeater

repeater

I used it on vinyl and used denatured alcohol to prep and it worked great.

10. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

BigDaddy had the right tips - for plastics, but painting fabrics is a completely different deal. You want to clean the upholstery first with a long-haired bristled brush dipped in a mild soapy water solution. Then several "rinses" with the same damp brush. LEt it all dry for several days.
    In between light coats of the vinyl dye you should use a soft shorter bristle brush to work the fibers. This will knock off the loose paint and kepe the weave open.

11. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Clean with acetone or if it is cloth take it out and shampoo and pressure wash the shit out of it, let it dry in the sun.
    The duplicolor rattle can stuff is junk I thought. I used it once on a dash pad and the glare off of it was too much to see. I redid it with SEM landau black and it was good and holds up better.
    I would use SEM over duplicolor, and they have a line of prep and cleaners to do what you are wanting to do. It will have to be redone every so often to keep it looking good.
    I don't know if you're doing carpet but I did a quick flip on an impala and it was awful faded, shampooed it with resolve powder, a wire brush and shop vac and just misted it red again. It works well to just make it Look new. Not for color change on carpet.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

12. 40grit

40grit

I too have found the SEM to be a far superior product.

John

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I've done it with no more prep than wiping off and a wisk broom. Works well and has not worn off on OT daily drivers that see hard use. Have even used it on carpeting.

14. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

if its cloth seats shampoo the shit out of it if its vinyl clean clean clean, that is the most important thing. Then use several lite coats, if you try and cover it all at once it will flake off. I have used it several times and it works great for me. this is a pic of my 64 Cadillac and I used it on everything in the pic except for the carpet and the red on the door panels

[​IMG]

15. donsz

donsz

As per recommendations from this forum, I used the SEM product. Worked great for me. I used the plastic adhesion promoter and then the actual color. So far it has been great.
    don

16. One word: SEMS

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used it on a dashboard, worked just fine.

18. turdytoo

turdytoo

I have used it to black out whitewalls or white letters on tires. Only thing I found that will stay on.

19. As near as I can tell - SEMS does not make packaged spray for fabric , at least not available locally , so it doesn't seem to be a choice for me .
    The many recommendations for extensive cleaning before tinting may lead me to take the easier way - buy fabric slip-on covers that fit [I can find that just not in a color combination I like] then tint those after a good visit with the washing machine and clothesline .

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013