Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Drag Rod... MoKan or BUST!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously sorry about Nate, Sam. Bless his soul...and yours...and the rest of your loved ones.

This little hot rod oughta shit-n-git. Nice welds btw.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great thread Sam, this should provide inspiration to many who sit on the sidelines, dreaming about having something to race. Using many standard suspension and steering parts as you are, should make your build easy to understand and follow. I especially like the idea of the hand me down, "Disco Era" swap meet parts. We know you will build it safe, and follow up with videos to enjoy. It is good to see you back, "informing the uniformed", you are very good at that. If you need any parts for the project, some of us might have just what you need, and yes we know your price threshold of $40.00. This is gonna be good !

rod1 likes this.
  3. Chuck R

Chuck R

[​IMG]

Sam,
    This should be a great ride, thanks for inviting us along.
    chuck

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I like to watch you build stuff.

John

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Glad to see you back on again Sam.

Root

6. That's the idea!

:D

Thanks for all the nice words, guys.

I'll update with more pics tonight... Tim, Simeon and I got a lot of tubes bent in the last few days!

Sam

7. Here's a cool little trick I use to put ladder bar brackets on cross members and rear end housings.

All-thread.

[​IMG]

To pass the SFI specs to cert' this thing to 7.50... it needs a diagonal in the frame rails. Most funny cars and street roadsters have the engine above the lower frame rail... so a diagonal is easy. With all my junk hanging down, I had to think about this one.

When you build a chassis... you have different ways to keep parallel members from "parallellagramming". You can do it with a "diagonal" (turns a square or rectangle into two triangles... strong) You can do it with a "K" (turns a square into three triangles) or you can do it with an "X" (turns it into four triangles) This K will be sufficient...

[​IMG]

Timmy helped me with the trans mounts and engine mounts.

I got those fancy laser cut trans mount pieces at the Stockton Swap meet... I bought the whole she-bang for $15. I ended up only using the fancy laser cut pieces, as the rest was all wrong for the height I wanted the engine at.

Tim made the piece with the two holes in it for the trans mount to bolt to... and I cut the brackets to weld to the "K" out of the old cross member that I got at the swap meet.

It works.
    [​IMG]

Then I scabbed some 1/4 wall pipe from my neighbor... he works for PG&E. Let's just say it was free.
    And I used my neighbor Brian's band saw to whittle it down for a nice little drive shaft loop.

The NHRA spec on the loop is that it needs to be 1/4" thick, and 2" wide... and be within 6" of the front U-Joint. This thing meets or exceeds those specs.

[​IMG]

We've been bending tubing the last few days... so when I get a chance, I'll update ya'all on that.

Also, I spent today working at my Buddy Steve Pattee's shop in Modesto... and he helped me figger out the rear end.

More updates to come!

Sam

8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Subscribed, this is gonna be cool.

Scotty

9. sawzall

sawzall

awesome.. and love the frugal attitude!

10. The bender I have (On loan from Bro-John) only has an 1 5/8" die. I decided to do the rear section in 1 3/4".

The main reason I decided to do it that size is that 1 3/4" fits nicely into the 2"x4" square tubing frame that is .120 wall.

My friend Steve has a bender with the correct 1 3/4" die... so we bent these over at his shop.

[​IMG]

For years I have used a "Joint Jigger" style tubing notcher to notch tubing.

But with the Bridgeport I have... tubing notching is so much easier!

I'll show you guys in a later installment how I notch and bend tube.

But for now, some pics.

Firewall hoop. 1 5/8" .134 wall ERW... It was actually pretty easy to bend.

[​IMG]

Shoulder hoop. Took more thinkin'!

[​IMG]

Wednesday night we got some uprights in. Simeon and my neighbor Mark helped with the first two little ones. and then I was up until 1am doing the other two.
    According to the NHRA SFI Specs... anything 30 degrees or less from straight up and down is considered an "upright". The small ones are at 28 degrees. :D

[​IMG]

More to come!

Sam

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  11. swimeasy

swimeasy

That is going to be a super car and you have a lot of talent!

12. Been bustin' butt on The Drag Rod...
    Got the seats mounted today with the help of Tim, and even got the shoulder belts mounted. Katie was a big help, and a real trooper. She came out in the 105 degree heat and helped me position the mounting points correctly!

Teaser pic... more to come.
    [​IMG]

13. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Lookin' good Sam. Subscribed.

DenK likes this.
  14. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

I'm subscribing!

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Can't wait for more pictures. Great fabrication, you guys with skills piss me off!!

Nice.

16. Lookin' great! Subscribed.

17. I am ready for a ride!

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Subscribed, and enjoying this one. :cool:

19. Lookin' good Sam... this is what I had envisioned when I started my fast street/strip hot rod post. I am subscribed!

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'm subscribed!

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is turning out so awesome. Plus I love that I'm getting it from both sides (wait a minute....) on instagram and here. This is going to RULE!

22. skinnydude

skinnydude

Excellent project , really coming together great pics. skinnydude

23. Nice dunebuggy!

24. FencePost

FencePost

Following right along....

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm really enjoying following along here and on Instagram -- keep up the exceptionally nice work, Sam!

Malcolm

26. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Gee! This brings back old memories to when I started my drag car project 5or6 years ago and you helped me along with some suggestions. Do you remember Sam. Looks like you don't need any help cause it's looking good.

Attached Files:

27. rockfish

rockfish

Great fabrication as always. Hope the build is good therapy. Keep the updates coming. You're the home builder that a lot of us want to be.

28. I remember it well!

I get that warm fuzzy feeling... kinda like when you climb the rope in gym class... every time I see someone build something cool like your little roadster.

Only you took it waaaaaaaaaaaay farther than I could, with paint and all. :D

How fast did that little sucker end up runnin'??

Sam

29. McFly

McFly

So rad Sam, keep on truckin'!

30. derelict

derelict

I'm betting 10.40...