Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reverenddevil, Jul 3, 2013.

1. reverenddevil

reverenddevil

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this stitching rip in my seat other than re doing the whole bench seat?

[​IMG]

2. Are the stitching holes in the leather still good? Not torn like perforated?

3. reverenddevil

reverenddevil

i think they are still good. Looks like the stitch broke.

4. I'm not a upholstery expert but I would think the seat cover is going to have to be removed to repair it correctly. HRP

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and it also depends on if the material is in good enough shape to hold the new stitches.

You might be able to peel the cover off it and look at the back side and see what needs to be done. A trimmer in an upholstery shop will do the same thing but most of them can look at and feel it and tell you if they can fix it or not.

That said you might be able to hand stitch it back from the back side and have it hold until a time when you are ready to redo it.

6. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

sure looks like the material is ripped along the top stitch, not a seam coming apart. if thats the case there really isnt any way to fix it

7. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

as a former uph. guy it is going to have to come off. a good uph. man can repair it. take it off yourself to save some bucks. most of this stuff is stapled on. be careful & take your time...............gud luck..............

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the thread has broken it is often possible to resew the seam using a curved needle and nylon thread. But usually it is easier to remove the covering. It is held on with hog rings under the edge. Cut the rings with side cutters or bend them away and pull them off. When you are done put the cover back on with new hog rings, you will need some hog ring pliers for this.

9. If that is the case, yes, it can be re-sewn by hand using two threads at the same time. A very fine curved needle would be required. Slow and tedious.

This would not require the cover to be removed.

10. reverenddevil

reverenddevil

damn, I was hoping for a bubble gum and dirt fix ;). Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate it. The rest of the seat is in awesome shape just where I sit that has happened. Maybe I get an estimate from a upholstery shop.

11. When the stitch was originally made, there were two threads used- a top thread and a bottom thread (bobbin).
    You need to re-create that with a thread coming from each side.
    You would carefully go through the old holes and when each thread meets (and weaves into the other in the center) it goes back to its respective side. Then repeat over and over, pulling each thread taught so they even out and pull the seam together.

In reality, it has already started and if fixed with this method, I may be a matter of time before it breaks somewhere else.
    The problem with removing and re-sewing by machine is that the operator must go through the old holes and not create any new ones or the leather may tear from perforation.

Clear as mud?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  12. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

This is why God invented Mexican blankets, so you can have new seat covers!

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

The thread is not broken the vinyl has separated . The backing is all that is holding. A band aid fix would be a tube of vlp .Or clear pvc pipe glue. Doesn't appear there was much foam sewn uder those pleats. Jack