Register now to get rid of these ads!

oval or rectangle gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Jun 8, 2013.

1. cannuk

cannuk

Take a look at the Fordson house web site and look at there repoped tanks ,there big $$$$

2. cannuk

cannuk

Take a look at the Fordson house web site for there repoped tank , yhere big $$$

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like the modified square, just because it looks better sitting lower. But the oval would look just as good if you modified it to sit lower.

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I went the oval for mine (from same company but nearly the wait)

[​IMG]

5. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Boones, I like how your body is above the tank.

Something about that just looks right to me.

6. My old RPU. Wheelbase was probably longer than yours. Allowed me to get my tank down quite a bit vs. the space you have.

Still, I like the rectangle tank on yours better.

[​IMG]

7. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I think the oval tank notched would look the best and it is just my 02 worth

8. silent rick

silent rick

if i notch the oval tank, i have to cut into two baffles and re-attach them. i also have to relocate the sender. i'd rather find someone who can use it the way it is and modify another tank for my car.

9. silent rick

silent rick

so what if i made a little cradle for the bomber tank to sit in with some straps or other fastening method. add a cool flip top gas cap. remove the seat riser and mount a single bomber seat in it. run the tank and battery on the passenger side. now, i'm not big into fake shit, but with the bomber tank beside me, i think it calls for a vintage hand fuel pressure pump.
    a flat dash with crescent needle stewart warner temp and oil pressure gauges with a 46 ford speedo mounted between them. nothing out back except for 37 ford tail lights and a license plate.
    i'm really leaning towards this setup. the only down side i can think of is i won't be able to have a passenger. what other cons are there to running this setup?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. silent rick

silent rick

ok, i'll get things rolling. a few of you expressed concerns about having the fuel tank in the drivers compartment with me.
    not only did t's and a's have them in the cowl, jeeps and some pickups had them under or behind the seat into the 60's.
    the bomber tank is made of reinforced stainless steel with a welded seam made to hold how many hundreds of pounds pressure.
    the chevy tank on the crossmember is tinny with soldered joints. in a worse case scenario, i have more confidence in the bomber tank containing the fuel than the chevy tank.

another plus for the bomber tank is with it being constructed from stainless, i wouldn't have to worry about rust in the fuel.

11. striper

striper

Having the tank in with you is no great concern in my opinion. Not being able to carry a passenger would bother me more.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. silent rick

silent rick

not having a passenger is the only downside? all my bikes only have or had a solo seat. if anybody wanted a ride, we can go in my 46.
    what i really wanted to build before i started this project was a true lakes modified inspired build, right down to narrowing the body down to single seat width.
    is having a passenger that high a priority?

13. striper

striper

I spend 90% of my seat time on my own so I guess not. I like the option though. Your solution would make your modified very much a lakes style car. What about a tonneau cover?

14. silent rick

silent rick

i had thought about it. and keeping the windshield mounts easily accessible so i can remove it on a whim. a bomber seat would put me an inch or two lower also.

but then, there's the 283 and aluminum radiator that throws off that era of build style. i have plans to replace the aluminum radiator with a copper/brass one. but does the 283 lend itself to a dry lakes era build?

15. striper

striper

A hood will disguise all evils

16. silent rick

silent rick

17. cannuk

cannuk

take a look at THE FORDSON HOUSE web site

18. silent rick

silent rick

i did, i'm building a car, not a tractor

19. banginona40

banginona40

How about something like this.

Attached Files:

20. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Granted... but those Fordson tractors had some awesome styling & parts that might work well ....

[​IMG]

21. Chris 50

Chris 50

Single seat, bomber tank and a snap on canvas tonneau cover.

22. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Best quote ever!

A HotRod should always be closer to an out all race car than anything else.

Specially a tractor! haha

23. silent rick

silent rick

the site did have some cool tanks, but i'm an impatient guy and didn't want to sift through all the different tanks. i didn't know what model tractor had what style tank and i needed to limit my choices, not expand them. i gave up.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  24. I used a Fordson tank on my 21 T Model Ford Modified. The rear spring is done suicide stylee and I cut the top off the rear cross member hump to get the top of the tank down (this was easier than opening up the bottom of the tank to let it sit over the hump).

Got a direct fuel gauge from a Cessna Bird Dog drop tank in the end....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. silent rick

silent rick

still having lingering thoughts

26. I still like the oval tanks, they just look right. Im going to try and get one (car type) to put in the front of the box in my RPU. The tank above will have troubles down the track when its mounts crack from the weight and flex. Heres a T I saw that I like the tank. JW
    [​IMG]

27. alchemy

alchemy

I like that brass flip cap. Where'd that come from?

28. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I bought a tank from leonards speed equipment a member of the Hamb looks pretty cool , cant wait to install it [​IMG]

29. It's supported at 4 points by the struts, it rests on a 4" x 8" flat area of the 10mm thick original steel Ford TT cross member (on a rubber pad) and it also mounted on a rubber lined 20mm wide cradle at each end in the same way it is on the Fordson E27N. On the Fordson the cradle was the only support. The Fordson had no suspension and solid wheels. The tanks were not noted for cracking. The tank itself is made from very heavy gauge steel.

The tank you like is strapped on with a couple leather belts and balanced on a skimpy frame work made out of flat bar.

30. That's cool, I was going by what I could see on yours and you do have it under control, cheers, JW:eek: