Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dodge fluid drive fluid.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnight lighting, Jul 1, 2013.

1. midnight lighting

midnight lighting
    from louisiana

This maybe a dumb question. Can someone tell me what fluid to put in the dodge fluid drive transmission. After I tear it down to inspect I will need to refill. Thanks for any info.

2. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

30 weight motor oil is what they used to use

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They used a special Fluid Drive fluid at the factory. For topping up they recommended straight 10W motor oil. Today the best substitute for the factory fluid, is tractor oil, TDH type, ISO 22 grade. If you can't get ISO 22, get ISO.32. TDH stands for transmission, differential and hydraulic fluid. Walmart sells it and so do auto parts stores. About $10 a gallon. One gallon should be enough.

Do not use 30wt. It is way too thick and will not work correctly. You need the thinnest oil you can get, the thick oil causes too much drag.

There is a hole in the floor boards on the right side of the transmission hump, right under the dash board. There is a corresponding hole in the bellhousing. Line up the fill plug with this hole. Stuff a rag around the hole so you can't drop the plug inside the bellhousing. Fill the Fluid Drive unit until oil drips out. This is the correct level. There must be an air space for heat expansion, if you fill too full you could blow the seal. Standing behind the transmission, the filler would be at about 2 o'clock.

M6 self shifting Transmission uses the same oil. Do not use heavy transmission oil or grease. Unless you have the straight shift, 3 speed trans. It uses 80 (winter) or 90 (summer) gear oil.

4. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

Do not use 30wt. It is way too thick and will not work correctly. You need the thinnest oil you can get, the thick oil causes too much drag.

I can tell you for sure they shifted faster and better with 30 weight with some mileage on them, saw it on several back in the 50's. probably depends a lot on condition.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

He is asking about the Fluid Drive unit, not the transmission. Factory recommended special fluid (no longer available) or #10 motor oil. Best modern substitute, TDH tractor oil.

Same stuff for M6 semi auto trans

Straight manual 3 speed trans, uses gear oil 80-90 weight like any typical 3 speed.

These are not MY ideas, they are the MANUFACTURER'S ideas, thought up and tested by the engineers who designed the cars.

Except the TDH fluid which was recommended by an oil company chemist and has been used by dozens of Fluid Drive owners for the last 10 years.

6. I was told to use 10wt tractor, never mind I just read Rusty's post what he said always worked for me.