Register now to get rid of these ads!

The ENDLESS Question.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jul 2, 2013.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I figure I'll get raked over the coals..would you stick a Big Block Chevy in a Ford? A Ford 64 1/2 ton pickup....I would run a blower and a injector top..I have both but the Chevy is a little cheaper to build, well kind of alot cheaper, but.......I thought I'd hear from the HAMB'ers....

2. George

George

It's your truck, do it if you want. I wouldn't, plenty of other options. Too many Chevys in everything.

3. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I would do it in a heartbeat and think nothing of it.Chevys are in everything.

4. morepwr

morepwr
    from socal

Simple. Its your build, so its your rules.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Never. But I hate Big Block Chevies. Too new for my tastes.

6. kracker36

kracker36

Reminds me os a guy a few weeks ago at a car show. He had a nice 32 Sedan street rod that had a 350 in it. Probably a 50k build. He told me that he put the 350 in it because it was cheaper. I then asked him if thats why he put the BeCool radiator in it. He just smiled. If you have a hard on for Chevy engines,then go for it ;but I would not bastardize a Ford with a Chevy engine just to save a few dollars. If saving money was the key, then all 32 owners would have bought or built a T.

7. Midget25

Midget25

I say do it, I have a 40 pickup with a big block Chevy in it. Love telling the Ford lovers why too.........

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Sounds Big & Bad to me, Homeboy. Chevy Engines are better than Ford enigines.

9. Cortney

Cortney

As mentioned above, it's your truck, do what you want! That being said, what kind of driving are you gonna do with it? I know you said a blower is in the plan, but if its just gonna be an occasional cruiser, then I'd go with the Ford. If your gonna beat the snot out of it every time you drive it, go with the Chevy. I say that because it IS cheaper to fix what you break on the Chevy. Both make great power and are both very good motors IMHO.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The Chevy would be cheaper but a 460 with a stroker kit would be reasonable too! I run a PI 429 in my 57' Ford F100 and love it but I have to admit the heads have been machined to use the BBC adjustable rockers!:rolleyes:

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm a Chevy fan, but I'd use any engine that was costly and did what I was looking for. Chevy parts are usually cheaper, but I have respect for a big Ford stroker motor. Or a Pontiac. Or an Olds. Or a Mopar.

In the end, I sure as hell wouldn't bother to ask someone else what I should run. I like making decisions on my own, especially when it comes to creativity. And honestly, knowing some people hate seeing Chevy motors, makes me love them even more. I'd put one in a Porsche, if the price was right.

Bastardizing? Now I've heard everything. Sometimes, this fucking hobby gets taken WAY to seriously. Just have fun with the damn thing. You're the one who'll be driving it. I do things to my car based on what "I" want or like. When someone else starts paying for my shit, I'll consider consulting them. That's not directed at any one person, it's just my observation. It's a good thing the early guys had the balls to do shit without asking permission or wondering if it was going to be popular.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  12. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Sure be like every other guy who builds a car!!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. bobadame

bobadame

Who gives a Rat's ass? Sorry I couldn't resist.

14. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Install a Briggs and Stratton. No, really. Your build and your choice. Good luck!

15. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Put a nailhead in it. Nobody questions a nailhead swap.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, you asked the question why? sounds like you are already planning to go with Chevy. you just have big block engines laying around? hope that you are planning to upgrade all suspension, brakes, etc.

17. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

That's like this.

Attached Files:

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Your truck do what you want! Or you could ask here and stir up more drama:rolleyes:

19. chevydude#1

chevydude#1
    from louisiana

Put a V12 in it if you want! It's your money. I gotta ask though, why is it so rare to see a chevy with a Ford engine in it? I'm sure plenty of people also have Ford engines laying around. Since so many people here scream traditional, Isn't it very traditional to use a chevy engine? Just curious. I'm a die hard chevy guy unless it's old. After a certian age its cool no matter who made it!

20. If you knew you would be "raked over the coals" then why even ask?

21. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

don't take advice from those who don't have to deal with the consequences.

22. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

Probably several ways to skin a cat, I agree with most, it's yours do what you want. As for explaining it? Heck it's obvious, Fords look way better and Chev stuff is cheap! I'd say that says it all. ;-) Get a nice looking car and stuff a cheap engine in it.

23. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

X2! What is the deal with this? I have buddies that are almost violent in their hatred for chevy motors. They all have pistons that go up and down, so who cares? I notice that when the Ford guys see someone put FoMoCo power in a bowtie, they all cheer.

OP: Personally, and only because it is a pickup, I would opt for the ford plant. Something about a ford truck and a big, ugly ford engine gets me going. They are true workhorses. JMO

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Check out the BADASSSS Ford pickup that ElPolacko on here drives. The neatest turbocharged BBC to ever make a daily driver Ford consider becoming a Chistian.:eek::cool::D

Frank

25. metalman

metalman

took the word right out of my mouth...err, keyboard.
    I was just going to bring up ElPolacko's truck, thing is tough and I'm a die hard Ford guy!

26. I normally like to keep the engine same as the car but a truck is open season. Trucks have had everything put in them.

27. Wouldn't give a second though to putting a BBC in a Ford, but I definately would not go the other way with one. :D

Ok all kidding aside, I don't think that engine wise there are any hard fast rules to hot rodding. Restoring has rules but hot rodding is now and always has been run what you brung.

28. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I didn't do it but it's mine now.

[​IMG]