Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Y-Block Lincolns"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drtrcrV-8, Jun 28, 2013.

1. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Looking for info on possible bell housing patterns that bolt-up directly (or with minor modifications) to 1952-1957 Lincoln/1952-1964 F-8 Ford truck/industrial applications. Looking for other possible Ford products(earlier or later?)for stick/hydramatic/Turbodrive/cruisomatic,or other brand applications(Cad-Lasalle,Packard,Chev/GM,etc) Even rumors or "Urban-Legends" would be appreciated, especially concerning companies that built, or might have built, adapters such as cragar, Bell(?),Trans-adapt(?), or any others(?) Also looking for info about steel or aluminum flywheels for same. And yes, I know this is a 'long-shot', but I have a project in mind & am doing my research before I get 'stuck', & 'in over my head' in a 'project-from-Hell'!! (I have learned SOME things from reading The HAMB for the last 6 months!)

2. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

If you are referring to the engine series that includes the 317-368... 'bout all I know on those is that speed equipment is pretty non-existant.
    If you are referring to a normal Y-block, then you're in much better shape.

3. 22 track

22 track

4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

22track,et. al. : Thank you for your responses to my questions!! Bendtsen's sounds like just what I've been looking for, but please keep coming with your comments &/or constructive advice! I've been away from my 'RR-era' Lincolns for way too long, & the 'game' has changed SOOO much!! (as if it hasn't for everyone!)

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have always heard that FE bellhousings are close enough to make work. Need to move the dowel pins, I'm told. I have an FE Lakewood blow shield that I plan to use.

Attached Files:

6. 22 track

22 track

7. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I once had some sort of speed equipment for that engine. Trying to wrack my brains now.... maybe a factory '57 merc Maurader aluminum 2x4 intake manifold??? Can't hardly remember now. I do know that it was the only piece I could come up with in 3 years of scouring the country... so I eventually gave up.

8. cornernfool

cornernfool

This bitch is running a modified FE (390) bellhousing and flywheel with a 4 speed toploader.

Attached Files:

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Many '50s Lincolns came from the factory with a GM Hydramatic transmission.

10. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Probably between '52-55 or so. Hard to get those trannies in 2013. Or even any parts cars.

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I want to send a HUGE "thank you" to those who have responded to my question!! I never expected this much response, let alone all the parts-leads! Even the "maybe-this-fits" are useful, even if they turnout incorrect,they often open new directions to explore!! PLEASE KEEP SENDING!!!

12. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I once saw a '48 Lincoln with one of these engines in a wrecking yard. It had adjustable rocker arms. I don't know if that's special or stock or what-not, but thought I'd mention that those existed for this series of engine.

That engine also had an aluminum tranny adapter that mounted it to some sort of early Ford stickshift tranny.

All long melted down now.

13. cornernfool

cornernfool

1952-54 all came with a 4 speed hydro. Factory adjustable rocker arms. Only standard shift bellhousing would be off a truck or 1957 Mercury with the 368 M335 engine option. Good luck finding that one.

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The engines used in trucks had adjustable rocker arms and solid lifters. You can use a Y block Ford/Mercury distributor if you change the drive gear.

15. Had a neighbor when I was a kid that had that in a '57 Turnpike Cruiser... that car made quite a impression on my 12-year-old mind....

16. rld14

rld14

Lincoln Y Blocks share their bolt patterns with EARLY (58,59,60) MELs.

So that means they're the same as an FE.

17. rbroadster

rbroadster

You sure about that?

Never had an FE trans (A/T case or bellhousing) line up to the back of my '57 368. I can tell you that they are just close enough to pi$$ you off royally!

From all the info I've seen the LYBs are an animal unto themselves when it comes to the trans bolt pattern.

- RBR

18. cornernfool

cornernfool

That Sir, is incorrect. Trust me on that.

19. Babyearl

Babyearl

I sure would be interested in your pursuit of the bellhousing fitment,, and where did you come up with the injection unit?

20. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

As far as truck engines go, you could order allison automatics in any of the big trucks. I have a friend who has a 1960 C600 FORD 292 with an allison behind it.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The injectors are SBC cut up and adapted to the Lincoln heads. I posted the job under "Stack Injection For Classic V8s" I have not tried the bellhousing. I have heard they are the same except for the dowel pin holes. But I have bolted a SBF blowshield to a Lotus 907, a 1932 Plymouth banger and a 1926 Dodge Bros. banger. As well as a SBC blowshield to a 392 Chrysler. So it can't be all that bad.

22. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

I have the 335 kit for the 368 Lincoln. don't believe there is much of anything that transfers from a truck 368 except maybe the distributer. ive heard of tranny adapters to manual sticks,but cant remember what they are.335 marauder made the 2x4 with the scripted air intake. Lincoln made a near identical one with no script, both will fit. both are very expensive

23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The truck Allison Transmissions are HUGE, especially for passenger car use!! They make a C-6 look like a Model 'A' box!! But, come to think about it, might be ideal for a COE project!! I wonder how tricky/expensive to upkeep/rebuild & how many gears/what ratios are available(possible OD?)

24. rbroadster

rbroadster

Rich,

The overall pattern for the LYB is slightly and I mean "SLIGHTLY" smaller than the FE.

Like I said in my earlier post, they are so close you'll be tempted to "hammer fit" them together. :D

I'm currently working on modifying an FE C6 case to fit my '57 368 [with a LOT of guidance from Cornernfool].

I let him put his hand on this hot oven first!

- RBR

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If my blow shield bolt circle is just a little small, I'll drill the holes larger or elongate them until I can bolt it to the block and move it around a little. Then I'll mount a dial indicator to the crank flange and clock in the pilot hole. Lock it down there and drill the dowel pin holes to clean up. Then I'll make two dowel pins to fit the holes. Maybe using some 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts for raw stock. I have a lot of Chrysler hemi head bolts around here. You can do the same thing with a C6, but you need to start with an empty case and then use that case for your transmission. Real hot rods have clutches anyway.

26. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If I remember correctly, the starters on these engines bolt to the bell housing: how 'tricky' is the alignment going to be? I realize that in a push-started car this is not a problem, but for a 'driver' this is a legitimate concern, especially if not using an 'FE' flywheel.

27. rbroadster

rbroadster

Rich,

Your description below is essentially the same thing I'm going to do the C6 case I already have. Luckily, Cornernfool is a friend [face it Mike, you're my buddy :D] and he's letting me use an indexing tool he made. I just have to make an adapter to the front pump fitting surface.

As for your "real hots have clutches" statement, my '57 368 is going back into my'57 Premiere. No way in hell that big land yacht could be mistaken for a hot rod. Besides I like it low and slow, slinking up the boulevard, and looking for seat covers!!

Best of luck with your build. I look forward to the updates.

- RBR

28. subscribed m y tranny on my 54 makes a strange sound sadwise , i liked the 4 speed aod a lot:)

29. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Mines a 341 y-block in a 55 lincoln capri
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372853619.625422.jpg

Posted from Ar

30. I have a B&M Hydro-stick to go behind my 54 317. I was real happy when I found a good pair of truck exhaust manifolds