Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just wondering..why chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Hello Don,
    You probably won't believe me in my reply to your post, but here goes.....

As some may know ,I do that[TOPCHOPS] for a living and have for almost 40 years......

Believe me I have heard a lot of reasons in both directions, some making sense and some definitely not.

I personally think all cars do not need a chop, some actually look great as they were made.
    Having said that I personally think of a chop in these terms....

An improvement in the cars appearance.

If an inch and a half removed subtley[sp?] does just that then I deem it a success, and am glad to oblige.

If 7" on one end and 10 on the other is what the owner wants then that is the job before me.....
    ;)IF IT IMPROVES IT THEN THAT IS WORTHWHILE BUT IF IT GOES THE OTHER WAY THEN WE HAVE FAILED.:cool:
    I have many times turned down a job if I believe it will not improve the car and would look worse chopped....

I personally lean towards the mild end of chops and have actually only personally owned -ONE- car with a chop....a '31 A coupe with 3" missing;)....
    ONE VERY IMPORTANT REASON for chops is this:
    If none were chopped it would not be the same hobby we enjoy ,but instead we would in fact just be Restorers like the other half of the old car hobby ......
    In todays cars we see cars with a pseudo mildchop such as the new Camaros -Challengers and Chrysler 300's,for example- so the look must be loved ,even by non hobbyists.....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I saw my first chopped car in 1958. It was a 49 merc. with a 6 inch chop. I was 17 at the time and wanted one ever since. 5 years ago I bought a 51 ford and my wife wanted it for herself, so I started to give the idea some thought. Choprods [kenny baker] cut the top for me 5 in, front 5 1/2 rear. To me it looks great and that's what its all about. I have a 33 ford 5 window that kenny talked me into not chopping and I'm glad I listened to him. Its all in what you want, not to please someone else.

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The only cars I feel look good chopped are Model A', '32 and '34 coupes only, not sedans. Early fords had the most beautiful lines and I feel they just don't look good. NEVER chop a '40 and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER chop a woodie!!

4. xwing01

xwing01

I'm 6'3 and I'm riding the line between chopping or not. I won't be channeling because I want to keep as much leg room as possible in my A Coupe. I have a long torso so head room is important, but man do I like the looks of a mild chop. I've seen some lowered unchopped, not channeled A's that look great, but they were fenderless and lowered with some nice meats in the back. I want to keep it full fendered which will limit my ability to lower it, I'd rather not rip off my running boards pulling in to my drive, clearing the stupid hump to my drive that all association neighborhoods have. Goodness too many options...

Once you go chopped you never go back? or do you?

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I thought the thread had nefarious beginnings, too. But as it unravelled, much insight was gained...
    The fallacy of 'if you have to ask' had vanished by the second page, and as more added, there was a cross section of insight (and reminders of forgotten exposure:
    HRP brought up the '33 Plymouths. That was the first car I noticed that 'looked chopped', like a '34 Ford...)

Know what they call it when you do a Fat Fender Ford?

.....pork chop...

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Aerodynamics, style,

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

8. A Boner

A Boner

The question should be.....why don't you fix the pile of rust body you bought first, before you chop it?

Make the body mint, and then if you still have the ambition to do MORE body work, chop it!

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Corbin Taylor's woodie (one of the original founders of the National Woodie Club) came out pretty decent, in my opinion ... :cool:

[​IMG]

10. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I agree with your premise. I own a '32 Ford hiboy sedan that's chopped 2 or 3 inches (my memory is going) and thoroughly enjoy it. I'm also building a '32 Chevy 5 window with fenders and stock height top. It never entered my mind to chop that. It might even have bumpers! Some people will probably bring out the "street roddy" stick. Oh, well...

11. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Opposite for me!
    Chopping our rusty coupe first gave me more incentive to want to finish it!
    TP

12. Txkahuna

Txkahuna
    from Texas

I look at it this way have owned and sold both chopped and unchopped!
    If you ever want to sell the car an unchopped body sells faster than a
    chopped one! Nuf said.....

13. xwing01

xwing01

No Chop/ No Channel? That looks great, nice rake to the front end and everything, thanks for the vision...

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Early cars came straight out of the horse and wagon era. They were buggy`s with tall tops heading to a faster moving era.Wind resistance became important with more speed. Hotrodders wanted more speed. Car manufacturers did also so they started lowering the lid and streamlining the bodies. To most,streamlining gives the added benefit to looks as well.I cant imagine driving an unchoped hotrod as to me it still looks like a slow buggy.

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Most dont build a car to sell. They build it to their liking and the reason an unchopped body sells better is the new owner wants to chop it his way.

16. xwing01

xwing01

Agreed...same idea of buying a car that is bone stock and unmolested

17. That car is definitely channeled,,notice the lack of splash aprons or how high the rear fender is? HRP

18. Because it's cool.

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. xwing01

xwing01

Touche, looks great in my opinion. Looks like my question will be chop vs channel... an entirely different thread

21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

It's both, I would love to build this car....btw this is photoshopped. Prob2" chop. 2" of channel inside the body and the splash aprons cut down to 2".... I call it my Hawaiian Style Coupe... :)

22. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Hmmmmmmmm, why did I chop my car? To me, there is no comparison. And look how happy my son is

Attached Files:

23. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I have to agree with the earlier statements, some cars just need a little trim to look better. Model As look great with a chop as long as it isn't too much. A lot of the early 50s cars "flow" much better with a 2-2 1/2" haircut. I loved the look of my 52' Lincoln Capri until I parked next to one with a 2 1/2" haircut. I don't know if I will ever chop mine but I can still dream about it!

24. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Someone early on in this thread made the statment that severely chopped rods make them look like R-t R-ds. I don't understand how chopping the top makes it a RR. I'm over six foot and have a Model A coupe I'm going to start on soon and have asked to sit in several chopped A's of various heights to get a feel for interior and headroom. I'm planning on a 2" channel and a 3" haircut. I hope that doesn't make it a RR.

25. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Good call dready....and can't forget my favorite 40....
    [​IMG]

26. Wasn't going to join in at first, but.... There are many reasons, look back at this and other threads, and you will see who gives thought out answers. Those guys usually give good answers on any topic, learn from them. The others are mostly hot air. I been fooling with cars since 1949-50. I do know that a certain segment of people are real others, not so much. I'd bet if a fox tail or Bermuda bell got play in a popular magazine, on a car from a top builder, JC Whitney would sell out to the followers. I think if you like it and fit fine, but you don't have to.

27. jimvette59

jimvette59

To each his or her own. That being said Hot Roding started way back when people wanted to be different or wanted to go fast therefore altering the automobile to there likes and needs. Check out my Avitar, I built it in the early seventies and it did stand out, oh I for got to say it was all steel and an old
    drag Car.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  28. 73super

73super

I like both chopped and non-chopped look. For me.. I like headroom and not sitting on the floor so I guess it's more about function.. plus I just like less of a modified look.. again for me and what I build. Love the looks of a chopped '32.. what's NOT to like. If I had a stock one land in my possession would I chop it.. I honestly don't know. You've got to appreciate a sweet '50 merc with a chopped top.. nothing like it. I guess I'm a contraction of convictions.. ha!

29. Frank32

Frank32

I agree with all the above but it comes down to what you like, I fell in love with my truck when I first saw her. Its a radical chop but thats what I like the most about it. Six inches off the top and there is still plenty of head room and the visibility is great. I still need to add some pinstriping and maybe add some color to the top.

Attached Files:

30. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I am not a fan of a "radical" chop but your truck proves that even a radical chop done right can look good! Nice truck!