Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mystery T-Bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kookie327, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

I have a 1923 T-Bucket that was originally built between the years 1968-1972. It's burgundy with kandy flames, small block chevy, t-90 3-speed manual tranny, 55 olds rear-end, black hand-folded diamond tufted interior, and black top. I was informed by the pinstriper who originally striped the car between the years 1968-1972, the striper is legendary Butch Tucker, student and friend of Von Dutch. He remembers striping the car, but can't remember who built the car. The car was originally built in Phoenix AZ, and was built strictly for show. Butch thinks that the builder of the car's name was Dave, which is really cool and creepy because my name is also Dave. If any of you guys could help I'd appreciate it, because I'd love to build the car to what it originally was.

Attached Files:

2. Idk, but its bitchin'!

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

What does it look look now?

4. badshifter

badshifter

That looks like a semi recent picture. The banner, the trailer with roof air, the Exit sign. There are "tribal" looking flames on the bed sides..... Is that the car you have? And what's it look like now? Does not look like a late 60s early 70's shot. Oh and as to your name Dave, and the builder named Dave, I wouldn't be too creeped out that someone else has the same name. It happens.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

5. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

This is what the bucket looks like now. I'm trying to get some more info, if possible. Butch Tucker was a big help in giving me a date on when he striped the car, and remembering the guys first name. It is a late 60's early 70's build, and supposedly the car was built with a supercharger at first (this is Butch's recollection of the car). And yes, this is my car, I want to put it back to original if I can.

6. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Taging this thread as I posted in the other one you have about it and I dont want to miss out on the info.

7. Nice bucket. Good proportions.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I remember the car from running around Phoenix in the late seventies and maybe early eighties. It was out of Scottsdale if I remember correctly. I wanna say the guy's name was Dave Lark, but I think I'm confusing that with a similar looking bucket out of St. Paul where I lived for a bit back in those days. If I can get a couple of my older buddies over here in the next day or two maybe I can get a positive I.D. from one of them. I'll do my best.

9. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

See what I mean the HAMB will find out info faster then any other site and it is not shocking to me it is louvers that may have the info on it.

Louvers I need to borrow your brain for a day or two to soak up the knowlege man!

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

You're Dave and the builder was Dave too? Mind, blown. What does it look like now?

11. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

That's pretty awesome! I'll definitely keep in touch with you. My mind is really blown with this!

12. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

The picture of the car in my post is what it looks like now. I would love to get an original picture of the car!

13. Goodluck finding infor! Looks pretty awesome! Here is a bump for ya;)

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Have you got a good side profile shot that you can post?

15. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

I've attached two other pictures of the car.

Attached Files:

• buck.jpg
      buck.jpg
      File size:
      518.2 KB
      Views:
    • bu.jpg
      bu.jpg
      File size:
      523.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If it was shown a lot, the owner was probably an ISCA member. Did the car have an ISCA sticker on the windshield? He may have showed the car in other nearby cities such as San Diego, LA, Long Beach, Las Vegas, etc.
    Its not likely it made the World of Wheels show program, but perhaps there's some show coverage photos of car shows of the period (possibly in a car magazine) that may include the car with the owners name in the caption.

Another angle would be to try to guess who the likely Phoenix area painter, upholterer, plater, etc. was that typically did show car work back then and talk to them if they're still around.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's what I'm going to try to help out with. Looking at it a bit more, it looks like it might have a front spring perch that was common to a buddy of mine's stuff back then, Don Marks. He was one of the go-to guys for T-bucket chassis locally. Another friend, Ron Olmstead helped out at and at one point ran our Phoenix world of wheels here in town in the seventies and eighties, plus he knows every hot rodder on the planet it seems. I'll have him look as well. Neither how ever are computer people.

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Well, it's cerTainly cool. What plans do you have for it?

19. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

When I got the car there weren't any kind of decals. There were marks on the firewall (and I'm assuming) that they were from old dash plaques, or something of that nature. I've check a lot of the old World of Wheels programs from that time period, and even Golden Chariots, in hopes for something. Butch Tucker did tell me that this car was built strictly for show, and it's true. The time period in which this car was built, the only people who chromed and painted the complete chassis was for show, it even had (I replaced it) a piece of tin, painted the same color as the car to hide the rough fiberglass bottom from underneath the bucket....Right now my plans for it, if this works, is to put it back to original. If it's possible.

20. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

I see a name on the cowl. I dont remember you mentioning what it reads ?? It might help alot to know what they named it.

I think i see it reads "Novel T" but not sure.

21. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

22. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Joe in one of his other thread about the this bucket it does say "Novel T" on it.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I REALLY doubt that car is Dick Knutsons Novel-T, it had a early chevy rear, not an olds, a maltese cross rear window in the top, split ford bones in the back, the spring perch is different, and the front axle looks different. Not only that, the rear axle looks to be farther forward on this car than Knutsons.

Cool car though, I'll be watching this to see where it goes.

24. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

I actually named the car Novel-T. When I got the car there were these cheesy looking flames on the cowl. So I rubbed them out and had someone letter it for me.

25. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

Is there anyone out there who know's anything about this car?

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I did sit one of my buddies down this week to take a look and hit a dead end there. He didn't remember the car at all. The other friend is going to be over at some point this week to get some louvering done, and he is the one that is key. He was one of the valley's key go to T-bucket guys for allot of years. I'll post when Don get a chance to see it.

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

2 guys named Dave is not creepy. 2 guys both named Norman Grabowski or Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve, now that would be creepy.

28. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I know one thing, if you are smart, original or not, you will put some front brakes on it.

29. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

That sounds like a plan to me

30. Kookie327

Kookie327
    from Lenoir NC

I've got '59 Caddy brakes in the rear, it's got plenty of stopping power. Besides all of the Buckets built when this one was built, they were never built with front brakes. And the only time I drive it is around shows, any other time the car is trailered.