Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reasonable Time to Machine a set of Flathead Heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1934calkid, Jun 30, 2013.

1. What would you guys say a reasonable amount of time would be to machine a set of heads is ?? I was told originally one month but it has now gone in the 5th month ? thanks

2. Scott F.

Scott F.

I've never done it but if you have an amount you want taken off and communicated that to the guy, I'd say a few hours. I don't know how you set these up, maybe a fixture of some sort? Shouldn't take long at all I wouldn't think.

3. RichG

RichG

5 months? Are these the only guys around that do machine work in Florida? Go pick your heads up and talk to some 'banger guys around you, someone will know of a shop or guy that will do better than that. Pffft, I could have had it done by now with a slick and some emery cloth!:p

4. metalman

metalman

Seriously? What are you doing, just surfacing or machining in the chambers? If it's just surfacing I'd expect them back the next day at the shop I use, maybe 2/3 if he was real busy. Anything fancier and 2/3 weeks. 5 months I'd be looking for a new shop.

5. They are a set of Kong Jackson Twin Plug heads...

6. What sort of machine work are they doing to them?

7. xix32

xix32

5 months ? I would say they are trying to tell you they don't want your business.
    go get them and ship them off to H&H in California, so you know they will get done right. and get done.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I would worry that they are still there.

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

kong twin plugs...5 months?..dude there gone.when you do go in,i bet they don't know what your talking about or say they lost them some how.A flaming trash can through a window gets peoples attention

10. They are still there, I don't want to name the shop as of yet, they are Highly Reputable...

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

sorry your really wasting your time there, go get them and take them to a place that wont take half a year to do 1 weeks work. It is very hard to find reliable, honest ,worthy shops to work on old rides.You have to stand your ground and tell them to fuck off,and take your cash elsewhere.

12. 5 months and highly reputable?

Go pick them up tomorrow!,a couple of weeks would be plenty of time! HRP

13. F&J

F&J

Just come up with a BS story and pick them up ASAP. There is absolutly no excuse for not touching them in 5 months.

of course we have heard crybaby stories before on hamb, where the excuse was "family health issues, dog ran away, hurt my hand, etc"

14. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Get your heads out of that shop if they don't have a clue about flatheads your wasting your time. I can do what ever is needed to the heads I custom machine flatheads all the time. Heck I have gone pretty fast custom machining the flatheads in my racecar. If you need help send me PM and we can talk.
    Ronnieroadster

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Send them up to Ronnie! Good workmanship, and some heads are good for 170MPH. Bob :)

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I don't understand what could take them so long. Usually you take heads in, they put them in some type of cleaning unit at night, crack check and surface them the following day, maybe a little bead blasting to clean what didn't come off and wash them off. If they are matching chamber volumes or fixing a crack, it might take a couple hours more but still should be done in less than a day. Longer times are because of work they have ahead of you.

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Come on man,in 5 months they could cast new ones. Get your heads and find a new machine shop. Just because a shop has a big name doesn't mean they are any good. Your heads have probably not been touched.

18. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

thats bullshit. I had a week turnaround on my offys. Surfaced, welded, and helicoiled

19. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Average set= three days. CC, chamber work, weld etc. five days max. I contact customer on special anything over seven working days.. Usually for unexpected parts delay.

20. Reason it's taking longer than expected is because the last 10 guys all said the same thing.

I think sometimes some of us are enablers for people that just don't give a damn about their customers.

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, enablers for some simple machine work.
    After waiting 5 months they don't deserve to make any money off you or anyone else. There's a lot of hard working folks out there that would love to have your business and would be respectful of a customer by doing the task within a reasonable amount of time.

You never did tell us what the promised turn around time was when you dropped them off.....
    I bet when you call to pick up your heads, they'll promise a 3 day rush job for you to save the job.

22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Get them out of there before they disappear!

23. I used to count on 12 min per head for sbc surface plane of .020" or less. From reception to wipe off. A Flathead depending on the machine used can take a bit more time to secure for planing. Give it a extra hour per and that is very generous. Some shops and I know a few schedule Hot Rod engine maching last because they will tell you "the customer doesnt actually "Need" the vehicle. This often moves the project to Never or we lost your part status. A good responsible well run shop does things in the order they arrive with a minor modification of a head has to wait for parts overnight. These shops rarely have stuff sitting around waiting to get done. It is in done and gone. They are also much more profitable because cash is always coming in. I ran mine that way. Do it as it comes in. Like hooked on Phoenics it worked for me. After a month unlikely a good reason. Go elswhere.
    Don

24. afaulk

afaulk

Just go an pick up you heads. Tell everyone the name of the shop so others don't have to waste their time.

25. Five months is disrespecting you, plain and simple.
    Do you really want to give money to a business that disrespects you?

26. I had a set of heads done last Saturday. He did it while I waited.

Go get your heads now.

27. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

get your heads NOW. This guy is jerking you around.
    Reputation???? c'mon man.

28. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I had my edelbrock heads done in '66. In one day out the next. I think you better go get them now,

29. I smell a rat....name & shame em.....and GO GET THEM HEADS BACK!!

30. kennb

kennb

What is it lately with machine shops. Everyone I know that is having machine work done is getting the run around. My buddy took his 454 out of his Donzi boat last fall and brought it to the local machine shop for a going over (gave them new built aluminum heads to install). Told them no rush. Big mistake. I don't think they touched it yet and the boating season is in full swing already. How long does it take? Go to that shop and tell them you got the heads sold as is and you're taking them. Then send them to Ronnie as the others suggested. Ken