Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumb question...measuring 6-lug bolt pattern?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Feb 23, 2005.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

How do you measure 6-lug wheels? I've never owned any and have never needed to do it.

2. Think in terms of a clock face.
    You want to measure from 12 0'clock to 6.

Measure straight across,just like 4 bolts.

Odd numbers are awkward,even numbers are easy.

3. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Maybe I'm completely off but most all six-lugs I've ever seen (all Chevy's and Toyotas, Datsuns) were the same size pattern. Is this true?

4. Jim, there are 3,maybe 4 6-hole patterns today. Dodge Dakota has one, Chevy trucks, Chevy Trailblazers are 3 different ones that come to mind.

Charlie

5. DrJ

DrJ

And Ford has a 7 lug wheel instead of 8....
    just to fuck with wheel makers and owners who would like to swap what used to be universal one size fits all wheel brands.. :mad:

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

So center to center then like four lug, right?

7. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Kirk, Unkl Ian, was right on, with his info.The best thing to remember with bolt or lug circles to remember,even number of lugs,measure straight across, and the bolt circle or pattern is what it measures,center to center.On uneven number of lugs,such as five,start with one lug,skip one,measure to the third lug,center to center, then add 1/4" to the dim. you came up with while measuring and thats your bolt circle or pattern.Example: a Ford 4 1/2" bolt cirle,has five lugs, it will measure, 4 1/4" when you measure,as stated above.Hope this helps and doesnt add to the confusion.

8. roccodart440

roccodart440
    from Upstate NY

I need to learn how to measure a 6 lug. Mine are showing 6x6. Is this right? I was trying to find a common wheel I could bolt on this thing to roll it around. It's a 31 olds with 6 lug wood wheels. (oddly there is a 7th hole).

Sorry to resurrect the dead with this thread.

9. WTF is there to learn, get a tape measure and use it!

10. roccodart440

roccodart440
    from Upstate NY

needed to learn.. is what it should read. I needed to know how to measure the lug pattern, not how to use a ruler. And there is a difference in measuring even vs.odd lugs as I now know.

I have a masters degree in technology education, not in measuring lug nut patterns. Thanks for the jerky response.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  11. Fenders

Fenders

Well that adds an additional step.....

Just measure top of 12 oclock to top of 6 oclock ;)

12. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Attached Files:

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he has a valid point, and all of you who said something negative missed it.

What is the bolt circle? Is it the circle on the outside of the studs? Is it the circle on the inside of the studs? Is it the circle through the middle of the studs? How would he know that there is not some trick to it? The automotive world is chock-a-block with stuff that makes no sense whatsoever to an outside observer.

If you are not familiar with something, you need to ask questions. He did.

Some of you chose to be real dicks about it. Way to rise above.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, check this out. You'll be be banned if you keep this up.

15. 117harv

117harv

There are a few other on this site that need an attitude adjustment...see signature:cool:

Alway center to center of stud is the lug diameter, although inside edge of one hole to the outer side of the hole across on even lugged wheels will be the same measurement. Odd lug wheels are abit harder to measure, but it is the diameter of the lugs through their center. I would like to see this 7 lug wheel, pic?

16. roccodart440

roccodart440
    from Upstate NY

I wish there was a thank you button on this forum, I would have hit it a few times. I'm getting 6x6. I want some wheels to roll this thing around on. DId some of these old 30's cars have a 6x6 wheel? When I look up lug patterns i'm not seeing that as an automotive pattern.

Thanks to those trying to help me out here. BTW I'm a registered republican, have been since I was 18. ;)

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Yes, GM cars did as well as some others.

18. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

My 42 Chevy has 6x5.5 bolt pattern I believe
    You can find more info on http://www.carnut.com/specs/specs.html website they have a specs section that gives alot of info like bolt pattern wheel base and even engine displacment and H.P of the vehichles.

I hope this will be of some help.

19. roccodart440

roccodart440
    from Upstate NY

that shows it as a 5x5 pattern?