Register now to get rid of these ads!

8Ba distributor timing question pertronix in mallory twin point with large cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A tub, Jun 24, 2013.

1. A tub

A tub

Ok so MY 1st flatty build , fired up , running awesome ,very happy so far, but just trying to work out best Distributor timing for my engine 8ba,eddie meyer, twin 97s (genuine stromberg) edelbrock early heads, big valves, Weber cam, 60 over , balanced and blueprinted, built by me

So most pages i read the pointer and mark on crank pulley are standard of 2-4 degrees btdc , whats the best way to make sure my timing is at optimum on this engine, ive used a timing light and seems to run and start every time when it was 25degrees btdc or on standard marks ,and revs freely and nice, theres no vacuum on this dizzy to test as its mechanical advance

When in standard setting of 2-4 btdc if i rev it its going past to atdc ,and for for reasons i believe it should most prob be revving up to it not after it

ive messed with plenty of engines in standard form ,this is my 1st cammed /worked engine , just like to know opinions of how to get this to run at its peak as far as distributor timing goes
    really would like to hear some base settings for idle in degrees from experienced flatty guys on engines with similar mods to give me a good idea where to start and where to head , thank you all in advance
    cheers all A Tub :)

2. A tub

A tub

No body ???

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

On the flatheads I have run I set the base timing at 4 to 6 degrees advance and look for about 25 to 28 degrees total, all in by about 2500 rpm. Have a great day, Gary

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

START: Map what is happening!
    I've posted how to locate a decently accurate TDC on a flathead that is fully assembled... takes only a few minutes. Find it, make a chisel mark by your pointer for your true TDC
    I also posted how to use a piece of cardboard, drawing compass, and protractor to mark off degrees on the surface of the pulley that goes by the pointer...mark off maybe 30 or 40 degrees, divide any way you see fit. 5 degree marks allow pretty accurate estimation down to 1 degree...
    Then, timing light and tach, a tuneup tach is fine. Revvitup slowly and note advance in degrees from idle up to maybe 3,000.
    THEN you know what you have and can address what you need.

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I would suggest using the pointer and setting the timing there and let the Mallory do its job.
    Theres no real need for a ton of spark advance on a flathead on the lower end and the distributor should give you 16 to 24 degrees of advance assuming the Mallory is in good shape.
    Most Mallorys are curved with a progressive advance rate and work very well.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I am deeply suspicious of everything on recent Mallories...I would still want to see what it is actually doing and to see it doing things at a low enough RPM to be helpful.

7. A tub

A tub

yes i understand the mech advance isnt right , may have to see a dizzy guy and get it set right

8. George/Maine

George/Maine

I think your problem is your looking at it upside down ,just kidding.
    Are you using a new style timing light?
    Best use old style get on mark and it should advance about 1" to 1 1/2"
    Lets see if it turns clockwise it should move other way to advance by hand.
    If it starts you can't be to far off.

9. woodypecker

woodypecker

He is from Australia therefore the engine advance must be upside down.