Register now to get rid of these ads!

the passing of a true hot rodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61falcon, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 61falcon

61falcon

20 years ago I met my wife. Then I met her dad. At that time he had a 34 Chevy. Over the years he had a few other cars but his last car was a steel 32 sedan.
    As I got to know this man, he had been building hot rods all his life, worked on a drag race team back in the late 50's and 60's. They had a rail on nitro. He knew Garlits before he became a household name in drag racing. When it came to building hot rods he had been there and done that many times over. But also in life he had experienced many things and he passed a lot of that on to me. He treated me like his own son. We went on rod runs together, built some cars together and became best of friends, we talked to each other everyday.
    Knowing him made me a better person and I learned a lot about being a hot rodder and more important, about being a man, dad and husband. We lost my father in law back in April. He left behind 2 daughters, a lot of great memories and his 32. He made sure his girls and the car will be taken care of as he left the car to me. I will keep this car just how he left it, enjoy it the way he intended the car to be used and hopefully pass it along to my daughter and future son in law (way in the future . she is only 6) but more importantly pass along what he taught me about life.
    The car is the green sedan in the middle and that's him leaning on the hood at our last trip together in the car last year to Kalamazoo nsra.

[​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for your loss, it sounds like he was one of the great ones and a great father in law.

3. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

So Sorry Loss, may he rest-in-piece, and God's speed to heaven for him.

4. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Cherish his memory. May his teachings live on for generations to come. May God ease pain of his loss.

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

not alot of people now adays have or take the time to be a mentor/friend. its great you had a great father inlaw. you are a very lucky fellow. keep his memory in that deuce.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to you, all of his family and friends

8. Looks like he left a great legacy. Sorry for your loss...remember him every time that 32 is rolling down the road.

9. Keep the good memories close to yours and your wifes heart it will help ease the pain. Sounds like your quality moments were many that is the gift of a life well lived .

Rob

10. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Sorry for your families loss. It sounds like he was more then just rare, not many families are that close and it really does sound like he was one of the great ones.

11. gwayne

gwayne

Sorry to hear of the passing of your Father in law..., sounds like a true classic car guy.... R.I.P.

12. McDeuce

McDeuce

Sorry for your loss, and may he RIP

13. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great guy.

14. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I was at the 'Zoo last year and saw that green '32. I am about your Dad's age within a few years and know that one day, all this will be gone.
    Remember this, your Dad was doing somthing he really enjoyed.
    My wife knows that I would rather be working or driving my Hotrod instead of doing most things.

Hope that all of your memories of you Dad stays with you for the rest of your journey in life. Live every day like it's your last and you'll never be sorry for missing out.

Rap

15. Sorry for the loss of good man,,I'm sure he will be riding with your family in spirit. HRP

16. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Sorry for your loss.

I have seen those cars in the pics at many rod runs local here. But sometimes it all runs together.

17. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

Be grateful for the respect you were taught and learned it as well as good people are rare.Pass it on and he will be proud.