Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find like no other

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Citizen caine, Jun 26, 2013.

1. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Depends on what or whos in it and how bad ya don't want it found. Bury it deep it stays there. That's why God created excavators.

2. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Humm------ I know where someone chucked a 409 over a bridge and into the river, it was still there the last I knew about 30 years ago. I bet the 8,000 pound winch on my truck would pull it right out of there.

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

When I worked for a county government in NJ the highway dept was way behind times. We had a long running program to get them out of area garages that looked like 1935 and into modern facilities.
    One of the last to be done was on rented property for 50 + years. We had to clean up the site to make it environmentally compliant. I found out that in the 60's they used to park outdated equipment behind a hill. Someone complained and they went to our sandpit and trucked in loads of sand and covered them up.
    The crap was hardly the worse for wear after all those years. There was a 3/4 ton 56 ford pickup that most likely was shit when parked and a lot of graders. dump trucks and crap. I passed on the pickup as all the AH's thought they had hit gold, and they were still the property of thr county.

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Back in the 60's I remember some folks that buried a Buick ,(don't remember the year or body style). I am sure it wasn't convertible, because they used it for a septic tank!

5. In some old railroad company files, was a newspaper clipping from Rochester NY from around 1930-1935 maybe. I'd have to get it out to note the exact date.

But it seems that along a stretch of abandoned canal towpath people had been leaving their junk teens and 20s cars, trucks, and even busses for years. And per the story, they cleaned up the area by hauling them over to a nearby place that needed fill and burrying them there.

Of course, they also used the shovel to smash them flat first.

So now, today, in downtown Rochester there's a place full of buried cars.

6. My Thoughts!

That's the "Best" comment on this whole thread!!!

Cool to see that again!

Shallow lakes eat up old cars... I'll look for the 1950 Ford found in a Madison lake article. All in tact but looked like Swiss cheese!

I've told this story on the HAMB several years ago but it seems appropriate for this thread... I sold a farmers property in Wisconsin to a guy that wanted to build a bigger house next to the original homestead.

I told the new owner there were no guarantee's on what was under the surface... I told him there could be a rock the size of a car or a car buried on that land.

The new owner started excavation and discovered 48 Buick 4 door being used as a septic system.:eek: Yuk!
    :)

7. Donald Doc

Donald Doc

I bought a barn find last week a 1931 ford 5 window it was in the process of a restoration and totally disassembled by last owner then he went out for a pack of smokes got pinned between two cars in the parking lot (driver texting) and killed his wife always said them cigarettes are gonna kill you all original next to no rust have all parts and new running boards engine is apart and cylinder walls look nice I'm thinking reassemble it register it then drop a 55' 331 hemi in it soon as I can unstick it also have a 51' flathead out of a F1 that's not stuck (decisions decisions)

8. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

use the 51', old fords need flatheads! Keep the hemi for amopar... PICTURES!?!?

9. HamD

HamD

He did the right thing. She shoulda been looking out for those drivers.

10. not to hi jack thread
    very interesting reading

11. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

;)I know where there is a 33 or 34 Ford coupe buried along with 3 sets of Ardun heads and some early blowers, so I started to dig it up, just started to get the front end uncovered and noticed that someone had upgraded the front suspension to a newer independent style so I put the dirt back since it was not traditional:rolleyes:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812367&showall=1

12. voodoo1

voodoo1

Hell, I'd put that on Craigslist then. Or Ebay. One of a kind find......

13. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

About 13 years ago, I bought a brand new house that was built on an old, large, subdivided farm.

There was an empty unsold lot right next door, about 4 acres. I thought we'd buy it and someday build a big shop on it with an apartment for the In-Laws when that time comes.

Next to this property was an old farm, with the farmer still living there. One day, while walking the dog, I introduced myself and we started talking.
    I told him my plans for the lot, and he said "the old owners buried cars and tractors on that lot".

So, one Saturday, I had my buddy come over to do some landscaping, and we went onto that lot and dug just a couple bucket loads, and sure as sh*t there's a 1940's fat fendered car and a tractor.

We never bought the lot....but some sorry sucker did, and another.....

14. jimbanner

jimbanner

This thread has turned into quite the array of stories...50% of which I could almost talk myself into believing, however which 50% I'm not quite sure of yet.

15. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

16. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

classic.......

17. 117harv

117harv

Pics from the above link...can you dig it:p

Attached Files:

18. As is often said,,"That will rub out",,we all know that is mitigated BS,,it ain't gonna rub!:rolleyes: HRP

[​IMG]

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Harleys hell, look what they did to unwanted P-38s leftover in 1945.

[​IMG]

20. My thoughts exactly! But the third 50% of them, I'd believe half of the story. The other 50% of that 50% I call BS!!!

The funny thing about my "buried" 1955 Pontiac is that I put it in the flower garden just to mess with my wife, thinking that she'd laugh and make me take it out of there. About two weeks after I put it there I started pulling the mulch away from it and got the shovel to start digging and she said "What are you doing now?" and I told her, and she immediately replied "No, leave it there. I think that it's neat!"

I love that woman! :) 29+ years of putting up with my sh!t and she's still here...

21. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Back in the 70's, I used to camp and fish in the Painted Rocks Lake area of the West Fork of the Bitterroot River in Montana. One area that I fished had cars buried in the embankment, including a '33 Ford sedan delivery body. The body looked to have been in decent shape before they stuffed it into the riverbank ... seeing it ruined the rest of my day !!

22. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

"Ran when buried".

23. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

I know of a beetle that was buried for use as a storm shelter...

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Hmmmm..... Gonna take more than a cpl weekends...

4TTRUK

25. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

My Dad told me a story once how when he was a kid, in the early 40's, him and his friends buried a car. i remember him saying it was called a "Moon", as i had never hear of one before. they buried it on its side, so they could get in thru the door, to use it as a "club house" hideout.

26. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Years ago a friend of mine went through a NASTY DIVORCE. The Judge ordered that he would have to make the payments on the ex-wife's New Corvette as part of the settlement.
    Sometime later I saw his ex driving a cheap foreign car so I asked him what had happened to her Corvette ???
    With a Big Smile he stated that the Vette had disappeared and the rumor that he heard was that it was buried in North Georgia.
    He also smiled when he told me a stolen report was filed and insurance had paid off.
    You should have heard him laugh when he said "Debt Free"........... Jeff

27. GlenC

GlenC

Anything's possible...

There's a bloke running around Burma at the moment, searching for something 20 WW2 Spitfire fighter planes that were buried in 1941, so they wouldn't fall into the hands of the advancing Japanese army. Not only are they complete, but they're also BRAND SPANKING NEW and still in their shipping crates...

Apparently the story's been verified, and they're actually out there, somewhere...

Cheers, Glen.

28. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

All this talk about it, and your not even going to dig, at least get a metal detector and see if there is something there.

29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I know where my Grandpa is buried but I'm not gonna dig him up.

30. I wonder how yer gonna wash the shovel?