Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to get a piss smell out of an old rig.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wityler, Jun 29, 2013.

1. wityler

wityler

I recently acquired my latest project and the interior was a carnival of different species of mice. It was also their bathroom.

Anyhow, looking for advice on how to eliminate that scent.

Much appreciated.

2. Do you think you have pad under your carpet?
    If so I would pull it out and go from there.

3. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Stop peeing in it..............

Gut the thing, any fabric in there will hold the smell

4. Your gonna have to gut it like a fish and spray it down with bleach. HRP

5. George

George

Coffee out of the can is supposed to work on piss on metal, as was said cloth has to go.

6. bgaro

bgaro

yup, these guys are right, gut it. bleach and a pressure washer.

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Wear a breathing mask and paper suit when cleaning it all out. Some nasty stuff they leave behind.

Rather you than me.

8. stimpy

stimpy

remove all cloth , and wash with vinager , then let it sit in the sun for a few days and the uv will cook off any stink thats left , in the winter we use the grow lights as they are high uv .

9. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

You might want to try Natures Miracle, its an enzyme product used to get rid of pet pee stains and odor.
    You get it at Pet Smart or similar stores, spray it on with a cheap spray bottle and it "eats" the nasty stuff.

10. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

You can try the home remedies listed above. Find a place that has an ozone generator. Many established automotive trim shops and detailers will have one. It will clear any bad smells from an interior.

I used mine frequently back in the day.. Dead animals, mildew, smoke/fire damaged cars etc. Also clean area with good stuff. I used TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate)

11. 327Eric

327Eric

Before you tear stuff out of the car, be sure to spray it with a soap/water mix. doesn't have to be heavy, just to keep the dust down. and wear your gloves and respirator. Hantivirus is a nasty thing.

12. IRMB

IRMB
    from SF Bay

pics or it didnt happen!

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Having just gone through this, I can tell you what I had to do. Tore out all the interior seats, carpet, pad, door panels, headliner. With my respirator on the whole time! Used a wire wheel in a drill motor to clean all the metal, and then painted it all with rustoleum to seal it.
    After cleaning and sealing, I cleaned the door panels and reinstalled them, but had to replace all the seats front and rear, plus the headliner. The mice had nested in every area of the car, including under the dash, and inside the doors! Cleaned and painted the inside the trunk also, as they'd nested there too.
    No smell of mice anywhere now, but it was a lot of time and effort.

14. You want pics of a piss saturated interior:confused:

As for the OP, replacing it is usually the only way.

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Be sure to wear some breathing protection...Inhaling the airborne particles from rodent (and bird) poop can make you super sick !!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

16. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

That'll work.

17. Rattleon

Rattleon
    from Idaho

Well if it's a "project", then the time to be thorough and do it right should not be a problem. Good answers above, just don't forget about the cars heater/air ducting and vents. Those little bastards love to nest in there as well, and as said before, a respirator is a must!

18. gwayne

gwayne

I had same issue with my shoebox coupe, I stripped all the interior down to metal, then vac'd out all the crud...got a bucket of hot water with bleach and scrubbed down the inside of my Ford including the trunk and engine compartment and even in the air ducks and frame of the car.. they especially liked to place their nests in hidden places.. ugh..... still slight smell so did it twice then lowered all windows opened garage and let it air out for a couple of weeks...

keep a couple of air fresheners in the coupe 24/7 afterwards..

19. wityler

wityler

Whoa! Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Some good advice here. I have already gutted it. Only thing left to do is pull the heater box. Going to do that this week and then pull the cab off of the frame. I will then pull it out of the garage and get to pressure washing and bleaching or I may try that "Natures Miracle" as I have some.

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

A friend of mine insisted putting "activated charcoal" in a few pans and leaving them in the closed up car for a week or two will do the trick as well,..... But I don't know this for a fact.

21. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

This had a bad case of the mice, about 35 years worth. Gutted the thing and powerwashed with very hot water, especially through the front pillars and in the hollow rear roof section. no more smell.

If you could only smell pictures.....

[​IMG]

22. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks, but no thanks...:eek:

23. When I drug the wagon out of the barn which it had been entombed for over 21 years the smell was definitely overwhelming,,

Knowing mice and rats carry the hantavirus and that the wagon had been a home for hundreds of them,,I wore gloves,mask and opened everything trying to air it out,,unbelievable just how much damage they can do.

I gutted the car,,amazing how they had gotten inside the headliner.

After getting all the upholstery removed I pressured washed the car inside and out and used a couple of gallons of bleach to clean,,then it was time to begin work. HRP

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My Falcon had so many mice nests in it that I filled my 5 gallon shop vacuum 4-5 times before I was done sucking them up! Not to mention a couple mice skeletons I found petrified inside the car!

25. Donald Doc

Donald Doc

I think that anything mice have been peeing on needs to be tossed, if not soap and water has been around for a few years try that out!

26. chubbie

chubbie

I can smell it!!!!

27. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

wear gloves and a resperator please

28. Bleach was mentioned a couple times, but to clarify- dilute the bleach in water, something around 1 part bleach to between 4-8 parts water. Also, cool or tepid water should be used. Very hot water diminishes the potency of the bleach. Seems counterintuitive to how we normally clean things but for this one step, wash with cool.

29. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

all the ideas above r gud. i worked @ a respected upholstery shop back in the 70s on alot of used cars. got rid of a lot of bad smels putting granny smith apples cut in half & setting the car or truck in the sun all day.got rid of bad smels and the car smeled like apples...............