Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help installing stanchions, frame, and dash 28 A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28av8, Jun 27, 2013.

1. 28av8

28av8

Does anyone have any advice on how to properly fit the stanchions, windshield frame, and dash on a 28/29 model A roadster? Mine is giving me a hell of a time. It's all brand new parts from Brookville. I tried searching but came up empty handed. Thanks in advance.

2. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

can you post pics of what you've got?, can't believe you're having trouble
    as it's a pretty straight forward fit.
    only thing I can think is that you've got the wrong parts?
    anyways what I do is fit the w/s posts loosly and then sit the w/s frame in thru
    the top holes of the posts, loosly fit the nuts on the end of the w/s frame and then tighten the whole thing moving from side to side, geez it aint rocket science.
    somebodys missing something here, am I understanding what you're asking?? correctly!!

3. 28av8

28av8

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372424464.315075.jpg

That's the latest pic after messing with it some. Are there shims that go under the stanchions? The drivers side seems to fit ok, but the passenger is all off. This is all Brookville stuff minus the factory gas tank which fit right where the Brookville one used to be. There's about a 1/4 inch gap on the drivers side between the dash rail and cowl support. Are the stanchions supposed to sit square or are they supposed to follow the body lines?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Also keep in mind...there are rubber weather strips that attach to each stancheon that will fill the gap on both sides and there is a weather strip flap that slides across the bottom windshield frame to close that gap off.

5. 28av8

28av8

Do you have a part number for the stanchion gaskets. I can't seem to find them on Macs. I knew there was a gasket below the windshield. Is it the same as the one used for inside the frame? The gap that concerns me is below the dash rail between it and the dash support.

6. 28av8

28av8

Double post

7. Got all of my windshield gaskets at speedway.

8. I have had to "fit" the stanchions to two different Brookvilles to get them to sit just right. A little grinding on the stanchions, a bit of hammering on the body where they fit and a little tweaking of them to get them perfectly symmetrical to each other when installed. I got the side and bottom gaskets from C.W. Moss in Orange, CA

9. 28av8

28av8

I've got the gaskets for the windshield. Is there a gasket between the stanchion and body?

10. No - It would move too much if there were.

11. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

check that your w/s frame is square, it doesn't appear to have the glass
    fitted yet, so when the glass is in it will pull the frame square.
    also check the posts are even, first remove the w/s frame, " eyeball " them by looking at them from the side, make sure they line up