Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find like no other

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Citizen caine, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Very solid builder, rust in the usual places. Have lower cowl patch panels. Rock chip in windshield..........

2. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Difference between a sea story and a fairy tale?

Fairy tale starts out "once upon a time"...sea story starts out "this ain't no shit"

3. Model T1

Model T1

Truckers and bikers start out with "you ain't gonna believe this shit."

I suppose most of us over 50 have stories like these to tell. It's amazing there are still good cars left to play with. I remember throwing small car parts and carbs down a ceptic tank I accidentally found in the back yard of our first home then putting a 49-50 Buick flywheel over the hole so nothing else would fall in, before filling the top soil back.
    A farm pond in a nearby town where the Ford dealer supposedly drove Model T's in during the wars, and finding cars and parts in the woods on many camping trips all over the midwest.
    Found all kinds of cars in old barns that were falling down.
    Brother-in-law had dozens of good 39-48 Fords, mostly 4-doors, in a valley on his small farm. The large company I worked for bought the land and shoved everything into deeper gullies and filled them.

4. after a brief discussion witha new found car guy he told how his modelA five window was a sedan delivery he converted and all the delivery parts were thrown in a ravine on the family farm who would want a delivery any way

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

NICE!:p

6. Model T1

Model T1

I can actually understand that. My first old project was a 1931 Model A coupe. I changed it to a rumble seat coupe. Probably wouldn't bought a sedan delivery if I'd found one. Oddly I don't remember Model A sedan deliveries 30-40 or more years ago. Probably right in front of me being used for deliveries and never noticed.
    Now I'd love to have almost any sedan delivery.

7. afaulk

afaulk

I'll bet that somewhere in Ohio there's a field with a bunch of crusty old HaMBERS buried in it......danged if I'd be the one to dig them up. LMAO

8. Just below my house out here in the sticks, there lies about thirty pre-1960 vehicles, some fairly solid, some torn asunder. At one time prior to 1962, they were the inventory of an auto salvage yard. When the owner closed up shop, the works were dragged over to a low section of land, where the alders have grown over the remnants. One day I took a notion that there might be a Hemi down there somewhere. I can't say why I had that thought. Five minutes after leaving my doorstep I was tripping over a chunk of something sticking up out of the ground...the corner of an engine block! Somehow I literally stumbled onto a Red Ram Hemi engine, buried for as long as I've walked the earth, and un-noticed by anybody else. I fetched my little 8N tractor and heaved it out of mother muck. It now was a position of distinction in my garage.

Attached Files:

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Ran when parked, right?

10. rustychevyman

rustychevyman

Yes all the old cars are gone from Taine Mtn. They put in Houses. The last car I saw in there was an Olds convertible from the sixties. There was an old model A tractor conversion up there too, All gone now.

11. Dig it up man! You know how much I would kill to have a classic buried somewhere around my house? And hey, if its not there, just put the dirt back! Just do it, you'll be glad ya did.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Between 1958 and 1960 My Brother in Law buried the steering column & box to his 31 A coupe when they were backfilling the foundation to the barn it ended up living in till just a few years ago. We found the column doing some foundation repiar, It was about 6 feet down in the hole this was about 10 years ago, That column&box was still in good enough condition to be refinished and re installed in the car other than dirty it looked like the day he pulled it. The odd thing is no one knows just how it ended up being in the hole in the first place!

13. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

We need an archeological find thread....

14. beatcad

beatcad

not quite the same but heres a story w/ a happy ending and its true 'cause i saw it happen.
    in the late 60s(i may not have been born at this point) my dad bought a used '57 chevy and one of the 1st things he did to it was yank the 283 to put in a 350. that was the cool thing to do back then. he was living at his moms house and they had just moved the outhouse so he chucked that motor in the old shithole.
    fast forward about 30 years(now im in the picture).
    my dad is restoring another '57 chevy and wants a correct year motor and remembers that old one. we went to my grandmas and w/ a tractor and a chain and some digging we pulled that motor out of that hole. his brothers were watching and said if they knew it was there theydve taken it years ago.
    happy ending, the motor was completely rebuilt and still running strong.

i just re-readthat and it sounds like it was perfect right out of the hole. no. it was torn down,machined and rebuilt.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  15. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

I'm for that!

16. I'm thinking this must be an Eastern thing.. Don't believe I've ever heard a tale of my neighbor burying cars

17. He get mad if you call the car a piece of shit?

18. Keep

Keep

Army stories usually start with "No shit, there I was..."

19. Well, I was doing some landscaping around our 50's rancher in the suburbs and sure enough...

:)

Actually, a buddy of mine and I cut this off of a POS car that was inches away from being crushed. It was really ragged from sitting outside, on dirt, for a LONG time. We hit it with the DA and brush painted some indistrial enamel on it and put a cell phone charger on the taillight so that it stays lit 24/7... Whenever little kids come by we tell them that there IS a whole car buried under the house!

Attached Files:

20. Mart

Mart

^^^^^

Love it.

Mart.

21. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

"This week, on American Diggers..."

(Say it in Mike Rowes' voice.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  22. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I am just south of you, I can bring a shovel!!!

23. Abomination

Abomination

I hope you find it!

24. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

he could have - but his mother told him he'd go blind

25. seatex

seatex

That old farmer has probably told that story to everyone he ever sold an acre to, and gotten quite a chuckle as a result.................. "from the earth they rose, to the earth they goes.........":D:D:D

26. Mart

Mart

So what did he do with all the dirt from the hole? Oh, I know, he dug another hole to put it in.

Mart.

27. When you dig it up, start another thread, I am tired of reading this one..

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm betting that if you just changed the spark plugs after pulling the engine out it would have run like shit.:rolleyes::D

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats cool! lol

30. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

You know, I'm watching (not really, the kid is tho) this big foot shit on tv, and I think they've got a better chance of finding one of those than most of the posters on this thread have of getting a car out of the ground, let alone even locating where the thing is!!
    It's like; my mother's, uncle's, cousin's, monkey had some land south of NC just out of Texas and in 1938 they buried all their cars including a new 1944 chain drive, mid axle, 73 ton, convert. I know where it should be and I'll get up there in about 50 years and get that sucker.;)

Scotty