Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newer cars worth scavenging parts from

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63comet, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ranger and Explorer 8.8 rear axles, GM 5 and 6-speed transmissions.

senginc likes this.
  2. k9racer

k9racer

If you pull a small trailer with your hot rod.. Mini Van reciever hitches. These are very easy to modify and fit on all old cars.. A mini van rear hatch has a recessed tag.. very easy to cut out and mount on your trunk lid.. As all the BS about new parts. I wonder in 1952 when a new 52 ford hit the junk yard how fast did the swinging pedals got sold and mounted on a 30s hot rod. newer suv and trucks have the connectors for trailer lights.... One more not mentioned is radiator caps.. I also robbed a serpentine belt that fit a small compressor I have.. All this shit is most of the time real cheap and if you know the right person its free..I have used the rubber fill line for the fuel tank and part of the metal filler neck on some projects.. I have a 5 gallon can about 2/3 full of assorted hose clamps everything from 1/4 inch to around 5 inch... I will add more later..

3. Here in New Zealand we have always had to find parts in anything
    available whether it was Ozzie or Euro stuff. Even Jappa stuff now.
    We never had a huge amount of trad American cars lying around
    in wreckers yards or behind old houses and sheds.
    Even now, we have to import those bits from you guys.

Just use what you find if it suits the purpose.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The ZF steering box in the BMW 2002 I had was my least favourite part of the car: lovely gearshift; awful steering. Perhaps it was just that the steering box had seen better days. But that's the problem, isn't it? the youth of a good steering box is very brief, and its decrepit old age is very long. The rack & pinion in the E30 my dad had later was much nicer. So, for that matter, is the 55-year-old rack & pinion in my Morris Minor.

I suppose it depends on what you're comparing the steering box to.

5. '97-ish Lexus GS 300 has a neat fuel tank that mounts in the trunk standing up behind the rear seat.

6. evintho

evintho

That is not the correct answer. (dialouge from the movie 'Traffic' just before the torture scene)!
    Actually, it's a 90* oil filter adapter for a 2.3 turbo. They come on Merkur XR4ti's.

Oh, and I stand corrected on the dash pod, thanks!

7. evintho

evintho

Junkyard sheetmetal? Ask and yee shall receive!
    I used an 80's Chevy van hood, combined it with some washing machine sheetmetal and two of Howell's patch panels to make new bun panels for the roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

1983 Caprice patrol car/cruiser rear axle. It's posi, has huge finned drums, and 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern. The stock rear gears are typically 3.08:1, but new sets come all the way up to 3.73:1...I believe. It's a stout rear end...

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Seems every time I walk the pull and pay I can find something that would work or be neat. Digging this thread and getting a lot of ideas for next trip.
    Making that hood into the rear panel is an AWESOME idea!

10. JEM

JEM

Yikes, I know where there's a fresh one of those, might be worth grabbing, thanks...

11. JEM

JEM

There's other vehicles with a similar configuration if you need something a little different shape, the '90-96 Infiniti Q45 for one. Some older Euro cars have the tank vertically in the rear fender which might be considered a suboptimal location but it might be a useful tank shape for some other applications.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. JEM

JEM

Oh, I think a good 1600/2002 box works reasonably well, sure the E30 is even better.

In the case of shoeboxes and later bigger BMWs, though, we're talking about a different size and weight of vehicle, and a different power box design.

13. JEM

JEM

It's I think a pretty conventional 8.5in(?) 10-bolt.

The later 9C1 Shamu axles were 5x5, had a very good disc brake setup.

14. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Any pics or measurments?

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Then, of course, fender skirts out of hoods and roof domes.

16. no,
    i had one in the shop recently and i just remember thinking to myself that it might work pretty well in a custom or hot rod application.

17. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Here is the Hood of a 80 Cadillac hearse used as my new dash in my 53 chevy.
    I also saved the axle/wheels and tires/engine and trans before scraping it out.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

18. Metric bolts? Hahahs

19. DrJ

DrJ

Do NOT use anything electrical out of an AUDI!
    They are all cursed.
    :cool:

20. relli

relli
    from Virginia

how about the thread on aerostar coils for '49 to 59' fords? They will be cheaper at the junkyard.

21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thats right, coils for my rear suspension are Honda CRX snagged both the fronts and rears for a choice in rates, pretty small in diameter but plenty long for a decent ride.....thats the plan anyway.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Funny thing, My steering column is 65 Bronco. Got it from the same guy I get my 9"s from. Anything you can harvest good sheetmetal from is good, I'm eyeballing a 90's Chevy utility van in the parking lot at work.

I have to say, this thread has actually become productive despite all the Nazi's grousing around like always.

23. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

I always figured anyone who could look at the piles of late model in the yards or the nonrunning cars you can buy for $200 in any posh suburb when they die and find nothing useful was someone who couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a handful of pardons.

24. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I like that!

Truth is, car design hasn't changed all that much since before the war. Well some have, but others haven't. Many solutions haven't changed. Look under some late models and they've still got a ladder chassis and leaf springs. Live rear axles are still around. Radiators haven't changed much, nor have coolant hoses. Earthing straps, brackets etc etc.

I buy the $200 cars and break them on the side. You can always earn a bit of extra cash doing that. Also get to use some stuff out of them too.

Ed

25. ??

A hearse has all kinds of latches and trim pieces that are worth scavenging for re-use or just selling off. One was in a you-pick here years ago and somewhere I have a whole cup full of these friction latches from the side doors under the table in the back of it. They look like they could be on something a lot older.

26. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I scavenged and 88 Nissan AC unit and put it in my 70 Avanti custom. It really works great and looks like it belongs there.

senginc likes this.
  27. Bingo!
    and a stick trans

28. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Van roofs for model a roof inserts. springs for carb returns, pedal returns, weather proof connectors. Seat belts. Brake fittings. Battery cables.

29. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Anybody have any idea what the track is on one of these patrol rear ends?

30. bbbbbb9

bbbbbb9
    from Tucson

Since I have only posted a few times I probably have zero right to an opinion. I'm 53 and have two cars in different stages of rebuilding/upgrading. I've been a lurker for probably 12 years.

The only "mission" type statement I have ever found for this site was in the "About Us" section. A portion of which is below.

"The Jalopy Journal was formed just a few years later to spread the gospel of traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms to hoodlums worldwide… We wanted to be the voice of the working man, a tool in the toolbox of the guy that does it himself, and a place where citizen journalists could show the “big-time” media a thing or two. We haven’t done it all yet, but we aim to in time…"

Kind of Ironic when I read about things like the money spent on Mustang II front ends for Mopar IFS cars (late 30-60s). In reality these front ends actually perform just as good as the Fatman kit (with slight upgrades) and would cost considerably less. This is just one example.

I'm a "to each his own" type guy. I hold back and bite my tongue when someone on here scores a nearly complete survivor and wants to chop it up. To each his own.

But this thread got me going. I'm in the "traditional hot rodders were not rich and were innovators" camp. This thread is super cool and should be celebrated. If anything is in that tradition it's this type of conversation.

No where on this site have a found a list of acceptable practices and/or car modifications. What a shame that would be IMHO. I also have an opinion on the RR hate here but I'll keep it to myself.

Snobery was something we fought back in the day. The guy who had a shop build his car was a joke. The guy who took his stock six banger and with few dollars and clever engineering made it as fast as a stock V8 car was the hero where I came from (2 miles north of 8mile on Gratiot in Detroit area)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    senginc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.