Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rick,
    Wish I could have had a chance to chat with you a Waldens. But I was busy working the driveway.
    I've been friends with Craig Wise since I was a kid. Helped him move that frame more than once. Glad to see it's at home in a car again. (even though,i'm sure Craig would have rather seen it in HIS car,haha)
    I went through this whole thread after Craig had told about the story. Hope you keep it and enjoy driving it. I think this is an example that sometimes you CAN go back home...

2. For a guy out of my area, that BenD sure does get around!

I didn't contribute much, but I am happy that every time you go fast, there are brake drums on the front that help with the launch and the whoa!

I've only talked to Rick on the phone, when discussing the brake drums, but again, it's cool that playing with cars, and the interwebs, has given me the opportunity to talk with some of my hot rod heroes.

Rick, any thoughts about dragging the sedan east, for the HAMB drags, in August?

3. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

If that happens, I'll be there, crew shirt and all! Belee dat!

4. Chip & Chip:
    I agree with both of you! As a kid growing up in Kentucky, I was a total gearhead, and I too, was not that great at being a "kid". I was the kid who was always building car models, completely restored my first of dozens of Schwinn Stingrays when I was 12, and was always hanging out with the older guys in the neighborhood with the badass 55-57 Chevys. My buddies would be playing baseball, and I would be pulling an engine, helping changing a clutch, or doing "grunt" work. And I absolutely LOVED it. I would come home covered in grease, and my parents would just shake their heads. I can't tell you how many times I got chased out of the local Walgreen's for reading all the car magazines and not paying for them.

I went into the Air Force when I was 17, with the hope that I would get stationed in Southern California. It took me 3.5 years for that to finally happen, and I wound up at George AFB in Victorville. I had finally made it! I finally got to see the Mecca of Hot Rods, and started to see and meet the guys who I had read so much about. Guys like Jim Jacobs, Pete Chapouris, Pete Eastwood, Eric Vaughn, Bob Bauder, and others.

But there was ONE car that did it for me....the E&B '32 sedan. In 1982, I was a G.I. on a very limited budget with huge dreams of building a hot rod, and finally, I saw a car that could be built by the average guy. No crazy, expensive parts, no flashy paint, and it was faster than shit. I was hooked. There were many times in the last 30 years when the subject of that car would come up and me and all hot rod buddies would comment on how bitchin' that car was and how much it influenced us. I think that over the years, more of my hot rods were primered than painted.....I wonder where I got that notion from?

This car was such a huge part of my hot rod upbringing and I consider it an honor to be a part of this project. The only problem is, I have waited too long to buy a '32-'34 Ford. I have a plan to sell off a few of my current cars to finally get one in the very near future. I'll probably knock on Jim Jacob's door and offer to cut his grass for the next 30 years if he'll sell me one of his many "project" cars he has stashed in his incredible collection.

5. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Well, well, well.
    I just got the release and tech pages to be filled out for The Rodders Journal. Only 30 pages. I guess I won't be posting for a while!

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

just figured out how to post on the hamb! thanks so much for this thread. you mentioned @ the begining stan vanamberg owned the frame for the e&b sedan. if you guys remember the 26 t coupe he built in the early eightys(pete built the frame for it) i have been the owner for the last 15 years & its still a great hotrod .it was featured in rod action mag.july 1985 issue.again thanks for the info&picks. u guys r a blessing.

7. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Hey 26hotrod.....i dig the cool name of the city you live in.

8. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Cool! A new reason to re-up! Congrats Rick! I think they need to do "The P-wood Story." That'd be a cool article!

9. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

thanks tio geo. its an old mill town here in the piedmont carolinas bout 35 mi.north of charlotte n.c. ita a real hotrod friendly area. i would like to see a p-wood story also. if it wasnt 4 family iwould have moved to socal years ago.i still may show up there one day with the coupe!!!!!!

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

26hotrod-
    I wouldn't be to happy with his post about the name of your city. It happens to be his last name.:D
    As far as a story about Pete, I think Hot Rod did one about 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe someone could post it if they have it.

11. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

rick i knew this town was named after someone famous i just didnt know who. do any of u guys talk or see stan vanamburg or talk 2 him? i talk 2 him a couple times a year. planning on putting up a post bout me&the coupe soon. its a cool story..............................

12. Nort

Nort
    from Anaheim

The Pete Eastwood Story was in the March 2009 issue of Rod & Custom

It was a great read, although I'd still like to see Rodder's Journal do stories
    on Pete Eastwood & Jim Jacobs

Here it is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Cant say ive ever heard of a city called barakat, in this country��

14. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

tio i have even heard of a town called fink texas! ant that a gas.john fink aka 26hotrod................!

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

rick-dont feel slighted.you r more famous than most towns in this country any way. thanks 4 all the posting. keep up the good work..........

16. Hey Rick,
    SimonSez and FireFly are neat people - like most of us Kiwis! ;) It sure is a small world. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Oct!
    Greg

17. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Thanks for sharing that article with us Nort!

It was a nice snapshot of a very talented man.

18. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

[ATTACH[/ATTACH]I had a busy weekend filling out forms and going to a birthday party for an unnamed friend. Time to brag a little. My son Richard made the cake. What do you think? The cake looks sideways, but when you click on it it rotates and looks correct. At least it does on my computer. The model for the cake was Pete's "Old Master".

Attached Files:

• Cake.JPG
      Cake.JPG
      File size:
      285.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  19. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Richard has far more patience (not to mention talent) than I would ever have as a cake artist. After eating all of my mistakes, I'd just be poor and fat.

Excellent work ... too good to eat !!

20. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

gud lookin cake. it didnt rotate on my pc bit no problem i just cocked my head to the left.................

21. That is one talented young man!

22. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I fixed it. Darn computers. Just when I think I have it figured out.

Attached Files:

• Cake.JPG
      Cake.JPG
      File size:
      285.7 KB
      Views:
  23. Hi Rik......WOW I see great talent here with Richard!!
    I've see lots of Hemi's but never on a cake.....VERY NICE Ricard!!!

24. That cake is awesome - Monique showed me on Facebook - very cool!

25. That cake looks, well, sweet!

26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

ive always known hemis are the icing on the cake.........................

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

We are back to work now. We are preparing the Sedan for for it's photo session with the Rodders Journal. There are a myriad of little things that had not been completed that because of the extensive photos they do, we need to step up our game. Having never seen a Rodders Journal before I had no idea the detail that they photographed their subjects with. They are absolutely incredible. I'll be posting pictures of the progress starting Tuesday.

28. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Good Luck ,And have Fun.

29. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

iam sure u will enjoy the RJ article & photos when its finished.iam not a subscriber but do have several copies with some of Petes restored hotrods in them.these are great quality books/magazines that are coffey table worthy....................