Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. deuce354

deuce354

Well Said!!

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

There was some guy at the Lawrenceburg vintage show last year driving an early 90's "sportsman" sprint car with the vintage guys and was throwing slide jobs and ended up putting a wheel into racer5c. Then at the end of the session he was on the far inside of the track and then abruptly turned 90 degrees right to exit the track right in front of about 6 cageless cars that all had to slam on the brakes and spin, stall, etc.

All the safety gear in the world can't stop an idiot from ruining it for everyone.

3. sideways27

sideways27

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I regress, I have studied many Tommie tip over&#8217;s from one roll to many rolls. There are many reasons for the tip over from the track to the driving style and from like was said here drivers driving way over their head in cars that they know little about or the car setup. Other reasons for roll over&#8217;s include low tire pressure to broken spindles or other bad parts that the builder really does not inspect before building the car. The list is long and it never seems to end as to the reasons. Each accident is an entity in itself but the major reason someone has their neck broken is the height of the roll bar along with the shoulder harness. It is very simple this should not be allowed to happen. As far as the vintage associations allowing these cars to race trust me they are racing at speed next to each other as I have seen this many times over the years. I respect all the vintage drivers who care enough to spend their money, hard earned time building and driving these great cars but I just do not like reading about them getting hurt doing this for any reason. You can roll one of these cars at 20 to 30 MPH and the results will be the same, broken neck. I am sorry if I offend anyone here with my comments as I love this site and I learn a lot reading from you guys. I will say no more about this subject.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

4. Trying to identify the track this picture was taken at. It is a picture of a friend's uncle who raced around the Indiana, Ohio and Illinois area. I think it was taken at Mt. Lawn speeday near New Castle, IN but I'm not positive.

Attached Files:

5. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

The track in the picture does not look like Mt. Lawn. Pretty good ditch or grade off that straightaway, which could be a clue.

6. baldtireman

baldtireman

Looks like one of the Lee Izor Chevy roadsters..
    :D

7. I will be talking with my buddy tomorrow and get the info on his uncle and the car.

8. joemac05

joemac05

9. sideways27

sideways27

It's that time of year once again. You are invited to Isky's 93 Birthday party. If you have not been to this yearly event you are missing out on a great one. Last year I was told there were over 800 attendees over the 3 day event. Lots of race cars and show cars along with many famous racing people. There is lot's of bench racing and tours of LTC engine shop. There will also be food and beverages served. Hope to see some of you there like last year I met some of you that are on here. The main date is Saturday Aug, 17th 2013. If you are bringing a race car, hot rod or want to spend the night please let me know in advance so I can reserve a spot.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  10. skot71

skot71

V8Guy, that may be Mt. Lawn. Looks like turn one. Pits would be off to the left of the pic. There's a hill behind the front straight where the bleachers are, and a house just off to the left of the top left corner of this pic.

11. Referring to post 20895, Yes, it is Mt Lawn Speedway near New Castle, In., in about 1946-48 time period. The car is a Mutual Roadster, not a sprint car. I'm not sure of the driver as I cant make out the car #. I have lots of photos of that track in that time period. Who was your uncle?, I might have a picture of him with the car.
    HG :cool:

12. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

These are some photo's of an old friend of mines sprint cars. I'm not sure of the years. Just found these photo's in my stack of stuff. I don't know much about them:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The 98 isn't a sprint car. If it's the real deal it's Aggies Kurtis Champ car from 1950.

Attached Files:

• a-98.JPG
      a-98.JPG
      File size:
      100.3 KB
      Views:
  14. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I have no idea as to the authenticity on this car. My friend has a great collection of vintage race cars. I'm sorry to post a photo of something I know nothing about. I should have contacted my friend Don Edmunds. I'm sure he would set me straight. I know he built sprint cars. I just love going over to his place and BS ing with him on his model cars he build's from scratch.:p He has an outstanding collection of model engines on all kinds. Don is a great guy. And is very talented. Since I moved to Washington I have had no contact with him. I should call. He has one of his cars that he built in is den. I will do it tomorrow.:p

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  15. gearguy

gearguy

Always wan't your own Indy roadster but lack the space to keep it? My friend Gregg Kishline of Kenosha Wisconsin has found a solution. This little jewel will make its debut at the Miller Meet in Milwaukee July 12-13.

Inspired by driving the real Bowes Special at the 2011 Miller Meet, Gregg constructed this scaled down version from scratch. It features rack & pinion steering and a cockpit large enough for an adult driver.

At present it is a roller but previous versions were fitted with self starting 90cc motorcycle drive trains.

The mini-Bowes Special and some other vehicles Gregg has constructed will be on display in the Milwaukee Mile Paddock area.

Attached Files:

16. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

mini novi looking midget for sale pm me

Attached Files:

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The July 4th and 5th AARA Vintage meet at Van Wert, OH drew 19 cars '50's and older.

The Big Car heat had 6 cars. A Ranger 6 cylinder air cooled, an Ardun converted flat head Ford V8, a Model B 4 cylinder flat head Ford, a 241 Dodge Hemi, a flat head Ford V8, and a Chevy I-6.

There were 6 stock block midgets, 3 were Studebaker 6 cyl Champion powered, one Continental 6 cyl, and two V8-60's.

There were 4 Kurtis Offy, one of which is in a rail frame.

The TQ heats had 3 Crosley powered cars.

Attached are starting lineup photos of each class (the Chev is missing) taken by Roger Grevenkamp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  18. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

19. baldtireman

baldtireman

I agree completely with you today,Steve.....:p:D:):eek:;):eek:

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...strummin' my keyboard with kindness..

21. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Darrell Davis recently posted a picture of Cliff Cockrum in Darrell's dad's car. This is the same car with my dad in it. This was Tampa 1970 with Mac Clingan standing next to Dad. Yep, that's Opp's and Eddie Leavit's cars in the foreground. Sorry for any mis-spelling.

22. ....bumped into one of my heroes on Friday.....what a really nice guy....

Attached Files:

23. I recently saw Agajanian's number 98 at the Peterson Museum. I think it is still there.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe the #98 at the Peterson Museum is the Kuzma car.

25. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Correct, Rootie.

26. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

The Agagainian 98 Willard Battery Kusma car is in Bruce Canepa's Musieum in Scotts Valley, Ca, here is a pic. that i took in Jan, 2013. Bill

Attached Files:

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That is a later car that was driven by P.J. in the 60s and I think it is a Lesvosky built car (?) The Kuzma car in question became the Aristo Blue car in 55 and then on to other owners.

28. Dick L

Dick L

That's about as beautiful as they get.

29. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

You are right Rootie P.J did drive it, it is a Kusma. It was sold to Delrose ans they turned it into a 4-bar, my friend Florie Filipich ended up with it in California and sold it to Joe Fiore who restored it. The Lesvosky car was the next car after the Kusma that Agie owned which was driven by Dick Atkins and Vuki jr. Bill

30. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Here are some pics of my Kenny worth sprint, Colby Scroggins won rhe CRA championship in 62. Hank Henry crashed it in 63.
    Johnny Parsons andTom Barnes built it at Kurtis`s using Midget parts. Early on it was driven by Johnny Parsons,Pay Flattery and Jimmy Bryan. It was Kurtis chassis X1

Attached Files: