Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Mercury Disc Brake question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdimpala64, Jun 27, 2013.

1. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

Does anybody sell a front disc brake kit that can be used with fatman's
    dropped uprights? I contacted fatman and they told me to contact Master Power Brakes. I emailed MPB and was informed their technician that made that kit is no longer there, so they can not supply the kit. Thanks for the help.

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Maybe Extreme kustoms have them?
    They are specialized to 49-51' Merc and Ford suspension stuff.I bought a chrome-moly tie rod kit from them for my shoebox a while ago.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

4. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

slddnmatt,

This kit works with the fatman uprights....I emailed them and never got a response.
    But I'll take your word for it. Thanks again for the help.

5. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

slddnmatt,

Does this kit push the wheels out?

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i forget how much, think its like 1/4" per side if i remember.. its the thickness of the inner bearing adapter..

7. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

8. Yepp i have them. 95% of the time they will bolt onto a Fatman upwright and if you have a set of my older 2.5" upwright's they will bolt on but not the older Jamco's but will work with there new ones as they are made by fatmans. Will increase track width 3/8" total or 3/16" per side. I have the kit in stock for $460.00 plus shipping 5.5 x 5 bp 10.75" rotor will fit with most 15" steel wheels

Gb & Thank's, The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files:

9. Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have this setup on my 50 Mercury (was installed when I bought the car) and I have no idea what it is.
    Bolt pattern is different than original wheel (5 x 4 1/2 vs. 5 x 5 1/2).

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Do you have that same kit for 49-51' Fords?
    I need a disc brake kit that will work with Fatman's drop uprights..

11. Yea we have them $450.00 plus shipping. On older Fatman uprights you will have to rotate the caliper by redrilling the mounting plate.

The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

12. Those are old MPB that required the spindle to be machined

The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

13. Thanks, great info! Good to know where this setup comes from.

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Email sent..

15. 49dreamer

49dreamer

I'm also interested in disc brakes up front for my 1950 Mercury. Here is a picture of my current front set-up. My car is dropped in the front, not sure how (cut springs?). I am assuming I have stock A-arms and spindle. Can anyone please verify?

If so, is all that I would need is the disc brake set up that EXK sells? I realize I would still need the updated master cylinder because I'm still running the original, but I'm not sure about the spindle. I would like to keep my current stance, so I just want to make sure I understand what I would need to change out. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

16. Yes our disc brake kit will bolt on and comes with everything you should need.

Your merc has stock A-arms, uprights & spindles. Your springs appear to be cut and i am guessing about 2 full coils and your lower A-arm looks like they are angled slightly up and that will useally result in poor handling and some bump steer. If you are not happy how your merc handle and you want some suggestions on how to improve it let me know.

Rick Erickson / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files: